Longer PGY-1 hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LordH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, not sure if this is the best place to post but would like to hear your thoughts on this article:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...104_MSCPEDIT&uac=228672AX&impID=1228495&faf=1

I like how the ACGME defends this proposal with cited results from surgical residents only. Like...those aren't the only residents that exist in medicine lol

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, the premise is that people are abiding by the 16 hour and 80 hour rules. That isn't really the case. I don't know why they keep playing these number games as if they were based in reality. No one with any sense is going to out their program for giving them too many work hours as these people are keeping you employed. Also because they might be interested in letters of recommendation as well as introductions to contacts.

I've done 16 hour days and >24 hour days. I greatly prefer staying overnight. Coming in day after day before 6 and leaving after 9 really gets old. Also, being on night shift and covering dozens of patients you don't know really sucks, especially when families show up and want to talk to the "doctor" when the sign out you receive is less than thorough.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, the premise is that people are abiding by the 16 hour and 80 hour rules. That isn't really the case. I don't know why they keep playing these number games as if they were based in reality. No one with any sense is going to out their program for giving them too many work hours as these people are keeping you employed. Also because they might be interested in letters of recommendation as well as introductions to contacts.

I've done 16 hour days and >24 hour days. I greatly prefer staying overnight. Coming in day after day before 6 and leaving after 9 really gets old. Also, being on night shift and covering dozens of patients you don't know really sucks, especially when families show up and want to talk to the "doctor" when the sign out you receive is less than thorough.
I heard it's easier to handle one 24 hour day and one off than have two 16 days in a row. That makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard it's easier to handle one 24 hour day and one off than have two 16 days in a row. That makes sense.

Well the more fair comparison would be a 30 hour day vs two 16s. So basically 6 am to 12 pm the next day vs 6 am to 9pm twice. The extra 6 hours from a 24 to a 30 hour day doesn't feel like that much though.

I don't know how you guys manage to do this! Medical school would have steamrollered me, but residency would have vaporized like a phaser!

Well the more fair comparison would be a 30 hour day vs two 16s. So basically 6 am to 12 pm the next day vs 6 am to 9pm twice. The extra 6 hours from a 24 to a 30 hour day doesn't feel like that much though.

I don't know how you guys manage to do this! Medical school would have steamrollered me, but residency would have vaporized like a phaser!

Me neither. Trust me, if I didn't have to do it, I wouldn't lol

Non surgical wimps. Probably get ticked off if they don't have an hour for lunch too.