Longer Shifts for First-Year Residents to Start in July

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurghStudent

lurker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/877057

"Residency programs can increase shift hours for first-year trainees beginning this July from 16 to 24, with an extra 4 hours to manage patient hand-offs, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) announced today.

As a result, first-year residents can have shifts as long as more senior residents. However, the maximum number of hours that any resident can log per week remains at 80."

Came out an hour ago. Looks like reducing hand-offs was worth the extra hours?

Members don't see this ad.

"Residency programs can increase shift hours for first-year trainees beginning this July from 16 to 24, with an extra 4 hours to manage patient hand-offs, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) announced today.

As a result, first-year residents can have shifts as long as more senior residents. However, the maximum number of hours that any resident can log per week remains at 80."

Great....why not add waterboarding? So disgusted with "I had to do it, so everyone else must as well." Be sure to give a big thanks apparently to Rowen Zetterman, M.D., co-chair of ACGME, at University of Nebraska. Guess he won't have family members needing hospitalization in July. The article cited in NEJM from Feb 2016 apparently found residents did just fine with horrible hours. Not sure if article interviewed anyone who wanted to give up, but couldn't due to insane student loans, or family members of residents who ended up killing themselves.

Reactions: 17 users
Great....why not add waterboarding? So disgusted with "I had to do it, so everyone else must as well." Be sure to give a big thanks apparently to Rowen Zetterman, M.D., co-chair of ACGME, at University of Nebraska. Guess he won't have family members needing hospitalization in July. The article cited in NEJM from Feb 2016 apparently found residents did just fine with horrible hours. Not sure if article interviewed anyone who wanted to give up, but couldn't due to insane student loans, or family members of residents who ended up killing themselves.
How many times do you need us to say it: that's not what this is about!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just sitting here awaiting accusations of being a "special snowflake."

Reactions: 16 users
Also, important to note. The increase workload for 1st year Residents will truly add to patient continuity of care. With modern technology, that is clearly the only possible way. Not to mention the cost savings to hospitals overworking underpaid 1st year Residents, rather than paying other medical staff (PA's, NP's). No, sleep deprivation is clearly the best way to become a better physician. Will all newly admitted patients in July be notified of this wonderful increase in care taking?

Reactions: 8 users
I'm just sitting here awaiting accusations of being a "special snowflake."
Yes....clearly there is a snowflake mentality at work by those who do not see the value in treating medical Residents as Android robots. It took the death of the daughter of a wealthy family to consider this system barbaric; apparently that was long enough ago that all is forgotten, until it happens again. The multiple suicides in medicine apparently are not important enough.

Reactions: 8 users
I've said it before and I'll say it again for the hundredth time. I completely disagree with the way residents are worked like slaves in this country and major reforms are needed. THAT SAID: At least in my experience, the hell of having to do 28 hour shifts was trumped only by the hell of having to do 16 hour shifts as an intern day after day after day after day after day after day....

28 hour shifts suck, but you knock down a lot of your weekly hours with a couple of those and actually get a couple of real days off. As opposed to 16 hour shifts where you're working 5-6 days a week or worse yet 12 hour shifts where you're working 6 days a week all the time. Different strokes for different folks, but I felt waaaaaaaaaaaay worse with the 16 hour intern rules than I did when I was a resident doing longer shifts.
No kidding. I did both as an intern and while 30 hours shifts did suck, the value of a Golden Weekend is vastly under appreciated these days.

Reactions: 9 users
I am not upset with working longer/harder, what I am upset about is that my class is going to trip balls about this. As if they didn't need anything more to whine about. Getting really annoyed with the whining lately. lol.

Reactions: 17 users
Sounds like more days off :nod:
Kinda sorta not really. You still only get 4 full days off. But, having 2 of them in a row is way better than 4 scattered across the month.

Plus, if you have a light call then the post call day is like half a day off.

Reactions: 3 users
Eh, who cares? I figure that there's some chance that whatever program I end up with won't wind up completely revamping scheduling by July. Even if it does, whatever. You have to play the hand you're dealt. It is what it is.

Besides, it's not like there aren't advantages and disadvantages to both systems.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for the hot take, MS-whatever.

Pretty much everyone who's actually worked these hours agrees the 16 hr rule was stupid and actually made for ****tier schedules. As others have said, I'd rather work a few overnights and have post call days off and an actual golden weekend now and again rather than work 6 days per week forever.

Reactions: 18 users
K, question tho. Is the ACGME seriously not aware that tons of programs force residents to lie about how many hours they work or are they just playing dumb?

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In residency I saw this from both ends... agree with Slack3r - especially when one of those days off in 6 is a swin from nights to days. Not a day off, its a day to recover.

Eh, who cares? I figure that there's some chance that whatever program I end up with won't wind up completely revamping scheduling by July. Even if it does, whatever. You have to play the hand you're dealt. It is what it is.

Besides, it's not like there aren't advantages and disadvantages to both systems.
Yep. The IM and OB programs at my med school had done away with 30 hour call for interns back in 2008.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have a problem with 24 hour shifts. In my experience (PGY-4), I actually think 24 hours leads to an easier/more predictable schedule for most people and at the same time does not really increase fatigue. With a 24hour schedule, it’s often 7am-7am. With the 16 hours, it usually becomes some weird hybrid of 7p-11a, or similar.

The "plus 4" hours that they allow for care transition I don't particularly care for. There's no reason it should take 4 hours to hand off a patient. Attendings should be supervising sufficiently enough that an intern of all people can get a patient handed off in 30 min. The plus 4 is what will be abused by systems and damage the little lifestyle you get as an intern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda sorta not really. You still only get 4 full days off. But, having 2 of them in a row is way better than 4 scattered across the month.

Plus, if you have a light call then the post call day is like half a day off.
Appreciate the clarification

I don't get why the FIRST trial has such a huge sway in these discussions. Except for the more lifestyle-friendly residencies, many residents routinely break duty hours. Many take work home, and that "homework" time is usually not included in their documented work hours. It is not uncommon for residents to document 80 hrs, when in reality they worked 90-100 hours. This is why there is very good reason to doubt some of the conclusions from the FIRST trial. The authors even acknowledged this issue, albeit in rather tortuous language: "Finally, adherence to assigned study-group policies was evaluated on the basis of a survey of program directors and the policy changes implemented at that program. Although that does not reflect resident-level adherence, the intention-to-treat analysis is the policy-relevant test: programs are given the flexibility to change policies, and outcomes reflect real-world implementation conditions, irrespective of the level of adherence (i.e., whether they change no policies, one policy, or all four policies". Meaning, "we can't really verify what residents actually did or that programs even implemented the policies, but our data reflects reality because we say so".

In particular, the impact of patient safety systems and technology in reducing adverse events is usually ignored or understated, likely due to limited data (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3393002/). There are now several and improving systems that enable detection of error from potential sentinel events before patient harm occurs. This is why I think working 24 hours vs 16 hrs won't make a difference, not because of a flawed trial.

Residents might be working less hours than in the past, but they are doing more with less downtime. The older generation never had to work in this current system as residents with work compression and managing increasingly complex patients. Working a compressed rapid 14-16 hour shift is entirely different from a moderate 30-hour day.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't get why the FIRST trial has such a huge sway in these discussions. Except for the more lifestyle-friendly residencies, many residents routinely break duty hours. Many take work home, and that "homework" time is usually not included in their documented work hours. It is not uncommon for residents to document 80 hrs, when in reality they worked 90-100 hours. This is why there is very good reason to doubt some of the conclusions from the FIRST trial. The authors even acknowledged this issue, albeit in rather tortuous language: "Finally, adherence to assigned study-group policies was evaluated on the basis of a survey of program directors and the policy changes implemented at that program. Although that does not reflect resident-level adherence, the intention-to-treat analysis is the policy-relevant test: programs are given the flexibility to change policies, and outcomes reflect real-world implementation conditions, irrespective of the level of adherence (i.e., whether they change no policies, one policy, or all four policies". Meaning, "we can't really verify what residents actually did or that programs even implemented the policies, but our data reflects reality because we say so".

In particular, the impact of patient safety systems and technology in reducing adverse events is usually ignored or understated, likely due to limited data (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3393002/). There are now several and improving systems that enable detection of error from potential sentinel events before patient harm occurs. This is why I think working 24 hours vs 16 hrs won't make a difference, not because of a flawed trial.

Residents might be working less hours than in the past, but they are doing more with less downtime. The older generation never had to work in this current system as residents with work compression and managing increasingly complex patients. Working a compressed rapid 14-16 hour shift is entirely different from a moderate 30-hour day.
Man I love this one too. Do you really think that there was a massive change in patient complexity in 2011 compared to 2010? Or 2002 compared to 2003?

Man I love this one too. Do you really think that there was a massive change in patient complexity in 2011 compared to 2010? Or 2002 compared to 2003?

That was a side point in reference to physicians who glorify the hey-days of working 120 hours a week. My main point was that the FIRST trial, which the ACGME likes to bring up, is not particularly good justification for the recent change.

eh.

They want to increase the risk of ****ing killing somebody, or a resident performing like ****... kudos to them.

I dont mean any harm at all, but I would love this schedule since it is much better than my our [active duty military] schedule when we are deployed. At least you guys have a "cap" on the amount of hours you can work.

Jokes on everyone else. Surgical residencies already work interns way more than 16 hours a day x6 days a week so this rule in no way makes surgical residency more of a suck. Hahahaha.

I don't have a problem with 24 hour shifts. In my experience (PGY-4), I actually think 24 hours leads to an easier/more predictable schedule for most people and at the same time does not really increase fatigue. With a 24hour schedule, it’s often 7am-7am. With the 16 hours, it usually becomes some weird hybrid of 7p-11a, or similar.

The "plus 4" hours that they allow for care transition I don't particularly care for. There's no reason it should take 4 hours to hand off a patient. Attendings should be supervising sufficiently enough that an intern of all people can get a patient handed off in 30 min. The plus 4 is what will be abused by systems and damage the little lifestyle you get as an intern.
The "plus 4" allows surgical interns to finish up in the OR if they are fortunate enough to get to be in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could people just re-read the like 1000 other posts on this topic rather than having to start from scratch every couple of months?

To be fair, there's a limited number of topics that can actually be discussed that fall within the parameters of this forum. This isn't Wikipedia, a forum is designed to discuss the current landscape of whatever the topic at hand is. Sure it may have been discussed plenty of times before, but someone may have a new/unique perspective on the issue and the alternative is inactivity. An inactive SDN doesn't benefit any of us.

Reactions: 7 users
But every new class of med students knows better than residents and attendings...

I used to say the same things about interns in my previous career, until one of them built a supercomputer that replaced my entire department and I was unemployed.

Reactions: 4 users
My new input to this topic that has been discussed to death...

It will my life as a PGY6 better for sure. True, I did have to rip up my call system for next year that I just finished putting together last week, but this will make things a heck of a lot simpler for our residency.

How does the schedule, in general, actually work with this? 7a-7a then off for 12 hours or 24 hours?

It continues to amaze me that such a relatively small change generates so much angst.
I don't know why it continues to amaze me that medical students will speak like they are the authority on a topic in which they don't really know much about

no but 2015 vs 2000? ya I believe there is a complexity difference there. obviously 1 year is nothing

Bipolar physicians & others.

BPAD is prevalent in up to 2-10% of the population depending on what study and how you define the spectrum.

I could speculate prevalence in physicians, and my reasons for thinking it's similar or even higher than gen pop. My argument: we're not talking about an insignificant # of physicians. I could argue that these physicians represent special diversity in medicine that's worth trying to include.

"But 2nd yr there's overnights...." the rationale of not allowing interns vs seniors to do overnight shifts was for experience level affecting ability to cope and practice safely. Overnights can be hard on anyone with BPAD, but I would argue that all else equal it's likely harder on them as an intern owing to stress levels.

Yes, many docs with BPAD suck it up for years and manage. Doesn't mean I think that more years of such a sleep schedule is better overall and means they all can. I could get into some of the science about cumulative effects of stressors and how it affects BPAD long term. 3 years vs 2 years call I think can be significant. When's the breaking point?

Yes, many suck it up & manage, but some lose it, it's hard to predict, & no, I don't think that supports this change.

That "normal" people are arguing for weekends of all things, over the sanity of a not insubstantial # of physicians, I don't find compelling.

Anyone going into medicine is embracing a lot of work. A fair number of people go into medicine fairly healthy, and it's training itself in school or beyond that pushes them to the physiological limits where they even attain diagnoses of BPAD, narcolepsy, seizures disorders, migraines, etc. So it's also not enough to me that we just demand that people with such dx just don't apply to med school, or that when they get diagnosed we don't think of better ways to treat and include them. Sometimes that means the healthier among us take a hit. That's training. Just as when someone has a baby, etc.

Stress is a reality we embrace as well. I don't argue that if the stress exacerbates conditions and then people can't practice with reasonable accommodations, that we change essential functions of the job.

For most specialties, being able to work longer than 24 hours at a time is not an essential job function. In residency it's a convenience to employers and scheduling and typically not an essential element of education, which is why specialty boards and courts have allowed for shorter shifts in many fields.

Also, the frequency of such call makes a difference. Someone with BPAD might be OK with the frequency of 24 hr call out in practice, at once a week, with few actual calls, vs q3. At my program, nightfloat was 1 month, and 1 month of such a schedule is less disrupting to circadian rhythms
Seniors taking call only had one overnight per week.

We've proven that 16 hour intern shifts can be done. "Stress level" intrinsic to performance of the job while you're at work is a bit different than how long a shift is. One we might be able to change to positively increase the the diversity and inclusiveness of our workforce, another we might argue we have less control over.

As far as "reasonable" accommodations BPAD and other physicians who have conditions that are affected by overnights, there's a thread in psych forum now. I have seen discrimination for more than one doc dealing with a psych or med dx. Don't kid yourselves justice is done by our affected colleagues.

Yes. I appreciate it's hard to qualify the positive impact on health of more weekends vs what we KNOW is physiologically a strain, one that can even be deadly to a not insignificant number of us, 24 hr shifts.

In general, if I have to work 6x16s and enable, say, 10% of physicians with certain conditions to be included in the workforce, and sacrifice my weekends for it for a few years, I would rather that sacrifice than them.

16 vs 24 hr shifts is more stressing physiologically, and that's just fact. As someone said, continuing to insist that we must physically abuse physicians to provide quality care, sounds ridiculous to me.

The fact a study finds most residents can suck it up either way to protect patients, as has been pointed out, doesn't do much to look at how residents cope.

If you can show this is the ONLY way to make patients safer (I doubt it), that there's no way to structure residencies to better respect physiological needs, I'll find the "but my weekends!" " but hospitals hiring more people, $!" "Patient handoff!" arguments more compelling.

Tldr
Not convinced there's no better way
These hours are bad for HUMANS
There must be a way to protect pts
The tradeoff shouldn't be inhumane hrs vs inhumane lack of weekends
This is not essential for educational experience, per courts, other countries, specialty boards, stop pretending Osler meant this sort of thing
Don't pretend the ADA & employers will protect docs that have a hard time with this, or that even attempting to exclude such docs is possible, reasonable, and won't cost us

Better than working 12s and 16s 6 days a week. People are like, "oh it's so awful," but clearly haven't worked a 24-30 hour shift before. They're not that bad, omfg babbies.

As someone nearing the end of their medical internship, I'll say what's probably been said 1000x before: working overnight sucks, esp as part of a 24 hour shift. By the time the second half of the shift rolls around, I'm tired and can not function or learn, period. That plus having the constant schedule shifts would absolutely blow, and I don't see any convincing argument to the contrary.

I can see the argument of seeing a whole patient case get worked up and seeing it through w/ no gaps, but it's just not worth the detrimental effects on resident well-being, especially for years on end.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean do 24 hr shifts suck, yes but you get post call. 16 hr shifts also suck slightly less except you are back the next day. That's the way to summarize all of this in 2 sentences.

Not to mention I don't think there's anyone working 24 actual hours in a 24. Not saying you're gonna sleep 8 hours however. Literally everything about the 24 in reality seems better to me.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean do 24 hr shifts suck, yes but you get post call. 16 hr shifts also suck slightly less except you are back the next day. That's the way to summarize all of this in 2 sentences.

Not to mention I don't think there's anyone working 24 actual hours in a 24. Not saying you're gonna sleep 8 hours however. Literally everything about the 24 in reality seems better to me.

Post call? You're asleep dude, because you were up all night. Not messing up your sleep schedule is way more important, plus you're in sync w/ the rest of the world, and, you could join in if you're really wanting to.

At my (busy, academic) institution, whether you get sleep or not is a total crapshoot, and absolutely NOT something you can depend on. In fact, it's the overwhelming rarity that you get >1 hr of uninterrupted sleep reliably.

It's also worth pointing out that (again, at my institution) you don't work 16 hours w/ that limit. If you're scheduled 24, you're staying there 24 hours. With the 16 system, we have roughly 12 hour shifts divided among day teams and the night float.

Reactions: 3 users
That was a side point in reference to physicians who glorify the hey-days of working 120 hours a week. My main point was that the FIRST trial, which the ACGME likes to bring up, is not particularly good justification for the recent change.

No one seriously "glorifies" the "hey days" of unlimited work hours. Really.

You only need to search for my posts from the turn of the century to see that we were miserable. Pragmatic, reasonable and thoughtful physicians realize that there is a better way. Only the intellectually dishonest and psychopaths glorify those work hours (and yes, there are a lot of those in medicine; thats clearly a discussion about medical school admissions which is better suited elsewhere).

So I'm not going to get into an argument about whether 60, 80, 88 or 100 is better/causes sleep psychosis/dangerous to patient and resident alike, etc. but clearly the "more you see", the more you learn.
Let's ask someone who trained back then and have them compare to working now.

Paging @Winged Scapula

A lot of changes have occurred since 2000 that simply make the work hour reductions more feasible.

For one: the technology. Interns and medical students no longer race down to radiology to pick up films for morning rounds and conferences. Digital imaging is the resident's friend (but we got free arm workouts carrying those films). Today's residents aren't being blamed for not having the films on rounds. Orders are legible, taken off sooner, drugs received from the pharmacy quicker and you no longer have to run around the wards and units looking for the hard chart (picking up every chart you see on a table top to see if its your patient) because of EHRs. Everyone now has a cell phone and email so access to your colleagues is easier. Using technology has made the resident and attending job easier in terms of access to information.

Are the patients "more complex" as is commonly claimed? Not according to my general surgery colleagues. As a matter of fact, I and they have observed that people are generally healthier than they used to be; fatter but less smokers. The census is about the same, but more spread out between the observation units, the floors and the units. There will always be the "wouldn't be alive if they were in hospital 25 years ago" types but there has not been a change that I can see (or hear about) since the 90s and 2000s in terms of patient complexity. There is simply no data to support the claim that patients are sicker/more complex now.

Now, if you want to talk about patients from the 70s compared to now, then you'd have an argument. On surgical services, you had cases that are now outpatient staying for several days, simply awaiting bowel function or the first dressing change.

But let's not try and claim that you need work hour restrictions now because the patients are more difficult to take care of than they were in 2003.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
I want to see some old school internists in talking about patient complexity then vs now, not surgeons, no offense.

I don't know who the old old school internists are on the board.

Sorry, just not what I remember hearing from older FM and IM docs, the ones who arguably are the most boots on the ground and taking the most brunt of these "wouldn't have been alive 25 years ago" patients. According to them, those fields are reaching the bounds of what one human can know, the residency is seeming shorter and shorter to both the attendings and the recent grads, and the patients are sicker and even more difficult to manage.

Sorry, just not what I remember hearing from older FM and IM docs, the ones who arguably are the most boots on the ground and taking the most brunt of these "wouldn't have been alive 25 years ago" patients. According to them, those fields are reaching the bounds of what one human can know, the residency is seeming shorter and shorter to both the attendings and the recent grads, and the patients are sicker and even more difficult to manage.
I don't argue those points.

My input is obviously related to surgical patients; feel free to be critical of my input but I was ASKED to weigh in. I would have been happy to simply read and move on.

The issue is that patients, medical or surgical, aren't sicker now than they were in 2003 (which is what the argument is: "don't give us more work hours, because the patients are sicker. Those bastards in 2000 were just sitting around eating bon bons with POD #7 appendectomies on 20 year olds!")

They are more complex and the field(s) have expanded but not significantly so in the last 15 years (and yes, I've talked to my "older" IM physician friends who've told me that).

@Blue Dog can tell us about FM.

Reactions: 2 users
I want to see some old school internists in talking about patient complexity then vs now, not surgeons, no offense.

I don't know who the old old school internists are on the board.

These are arguments in favor of flexibility in resident work hours. The main complaint from surgeons has been that the "one size fits all" approach taken by the ACGME is stupid. Clearly, the training requirements for each speciality are different.

Most surgeons I know feel strongly that residents need more, not less, time in the hospital to prepare them for independent practice. There is serious concern that resident education is suffering. At the same time, the data suggest that limiting work hours has made zero difference in patient safety.

The new rules do not mandate that interns work 30 hour shifts, just makes it the programs' decisions, not the ACGME's.

The funniest thing about the arguments in this thread is that it's all irrelevant. 40 hours a week, 80 hours a week, 120 hours a week who the **** cares? What really matters is what happens during that time. The real problem is the fear of litigation and the unwillingness to allow trainees to take a greater role in patient care. Decision making, procedures, operations, etc. everything is getting pushed back and now we have a million ****ty fellowships in an attempt to make up for the diluted training. Ironically, it makes the problem worse by further diluting training for those coming afterwards as well as creating even more compartmentalized sections of medicine in which doctors stop understanding what other doctors are doing and why.

Reactions: 12 users
For all the fired up hot takes about injustice and long hours and blah blah blah...here's my hot take on what will probably actually happen to the majority of interns and residents:

Nothing.

Your programs will keep the system they have, because they think it works reasonably well. It's also a heck of a lot of work to massively overhaul a call/rotation system. That's been the consensus opinion of the actual PDs who contribute to this site - they had night float systems already and aren't particularly interested in changing back. Surgery residencies may make substantial changes, but maybe not even them - a lot of places have night floats and those that do tend to like them.

The most common change programs may make will be that you end up working some 24 hr shifts on weekends in exchange for getting more consecutive time off the other weekends (i.e. golden weekend).

You also, for the overwhelming majority of you, won't actually be working anywhere near 80 hours per week. I know that seems surprising, but it's true. EM, psych, neuro, anesthesia, even internal medicine. Nowhere close. Maybe on some bad inpatient months, but those are usually only during intern year, and only during a couple of rotations (and some of our senior medicine folks on this board like JDH have said it is much less than 80 even in those rotations). Those are balanced out with a bunch of months of outpatient rotations and electives where hours are more like 40-50 per week.

Residency is hard. It should be. But the hyperbole on this site is unbearable sometimes. I'm in my final years of training and am one of the few people on this site who've actually worked for an extended period of time under both the 24 hr rules and the 16 hr rules. I have no personal dog in this fight as I'm about to be done with all this stuff. I'm really happy for my program and my junior residents that this new ruling by the ACGME will allow us to make some positive changes to our system.

PDs aren't sitting back in their leather chair stroking their cat, cackling at the new opportunity to crack the whip. If they make a change based on this they will be doing it because they think it is either educationally beneficial or beneficial to quality of the schedule.

My other prediction is that you're going to see this be the start of further differentiation between specialty RRC requirements - surgery programs with one set of standards and other residency programs enacting lower hours restrictions. This has already been happening (EM, anesthesia, medicine patient caps) and will likely continue.

Reactions: 14 users

Patient this patient that, patient continuity...how about about my own ****ing sanity? Residents are people too.

Patient this patient that, patient continuity...how about about my own ****ing sanity? Residents are people too.

Yep. And as stated multiple other times: for many (most?) of us those of us that have done both (I was an intern in 2010-2011 and did 28-hour shifts and then switched to night float for junior residents in 2011), night float is way worse. Yes I am a surgery resident so I can only speak for surgery, and only at my institution, but I have heard from friends elsewhere in my specialty that they feel the same.

Being tired isn't fun but you know what? There are worse situations to be in. I'm inside, I'm warm, I can sit down in a chair sometimes to do my work, my socks are dry, I'm fed: I'm not in the military or other job out in the elements pulling long shifts or in an actual sweatshop. And on average I get a hell of a lot more respect than some of those people. I get that the idea of working an overnight shift sounds daunting to those of you who haven't actually done it, but there are those that HAVE who are telling you that 28 hours and going home to sleep/read/grocery shop postcall is far superior to being isolated on night float for a month at a time with a totally jacked up sleep schedule. Talk about losing your sanity. Those were the only months of residency that I honestly thought about quitting every day.