Longer-term Hospitalist to hem/onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shipofthedamned

Reaction score
I am a hospitalist 4 years out from training considering applying this year. Four years ago I applied and didn't match through two application cycles, with the large caveat that I applied with a strong geographic bias (West coast and mountain west almost exclusively). It was stupid and prideful and not very pragmatic, but that's what happened. There were programs I interviewed at and didn't rank because I "didn't see myself there". Woof. After 2 cycles I moved on. What did I do instead? What compelled me: I started a family and did the hospitalist dance. That's what I've been occupying myself with. Now, approaching 40 and unfulfilled by hospital medicine due to a lack of continuity and challenge, I strongly feel that hem/onc really was my calling, where my career should've gone.

So, here I am. I have a couple papers and abstracts from residency. I have letters from hem/onc at my current academically-affiliated hospital as well as my department head, as well as my old letters. I am willing to go literally anywhere that will take me. Is this crazy? Have there been longer odds? Both Steps were >230.

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it if you can however keep in mind most programs 1st year is going to be at times busier than your 1st year of residency.

Reactions: 1 user