Look what I ran into on my way home today!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toughlife

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://nebulousgas.spaces.msn.com/photos/?_c02_owner=1

I went back to take a pic so I could post it here. I was unaware the AANA had been busy advancing anesthesia through research.

Amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

SleepIsGood said:
dude we need to forward that to the ASA.

Yes sir we do. To all the naysayers, there's the proof. Keep supporting them and they will eat your lunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really worried. Let the CRNAs have their fun. Otherwise, we wouldn't have things like that to laugh at, while we drove to work.

toughlife said:

I went back to take a pic so I could post it here. I was unaware the AANA had been busy advancing anesthesia through research.

Amazing!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12078465&dopt=Abstract

AANA J. 2002 Jun;70(3):181-6. Related Articles, Links

CRNA-conducted research: is it being done?
Cowan C, Vinayak K, Jasinski DM.

Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC, USA.

An emphasis on research was established with the 1998 Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) requirement that all nurse anesthetists graduate with a master's level of education. Nursing research is essential to expand the profession's knowledge base and to establish a foundation for evidence-based practice. However, to date there are no existing data indicating whether practicing CRNAs are conducting research or to what extent. The purpose of this study was to determine whether research is conducted by Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) and what factors influence whether CRNAs engage in research. A quantitative descriptive design was used. Random sampling from the total AANA membership roster was done. A questionnaire developed by the researchers and evaluated by content experts was used to obtain data after the questionnaire was validated with a pilot study. Of 370 questionnaires mailed, 173 (46.8%) were returned. Results revealed a small percentage of CRNAs are involved in the research process at some level. The majority of CRNAs conducting research did not receive preparation in the research process from their educational curriculum. There was a significant relationship between working in a teaching hospital and whether CRNAs conducted research. Many barriers were identified.

PMID: 12078465 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

What is 'small percentage'? I'd be willing to bet it is really small.

I think the same questionairre research type thing puts the average penis length at 10 inches.

DreamMachine said:
I think the same questionairre research type thing puts the average penis length at 10 inches.

Is it not?

DreamMachine said:

The average is THAT short?

I heard back from the ASA today after I sent them the picture. I will continue this discussion in the private forum.

Crap
I need to get my info in and take a peek, and get involved in the private forum.

lvspro said:
Crap
I need to get my info in and take a peek, and get involved in the private forum.

No, lvs.

You need to get your priorities straight.

First thing you need to do is get that sexually frustrated rodent off your self. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
jetproppilot said:
No, lvs.

First thing you need to do is get that sexually frustrated rodent off your self. :D

Did you say get the sexually frustrated rodent rodent OFF YOURSELF
or GET THE SEXUALLY FRUSTRATED RODENT OFF yourself?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

nolagas said:
Did you say get the sexually frustrated rodent rodent OFF YOURSELF
or GET THE SEXUALLY FRUSTRATED RODENT OFF yourself?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

jetproppilot said:
No, lvs.

I believe your momma would take objection to being called a rodent.

:D

I have to say though, they really are killing us on the public relations front. And that matters in a major way in this day and age when pharma companies and HMOs are spending duckets direct marketing on TV.

Take for example wikipedia. Look up CRNA...you will see amongst other things a link to "No Significant Differences in Anesthesia Outcome by Provider"...with no debate no discussion, no counterpoint. OK, it's an article about CRNA's probably written by CRNA's....

Then look up "anesthesiology" in wikipedia. The same article, "No Significant Differences in Anesthesia Outcome by Provider" is also cited in the links, under the subheading "patient information". Again, no discussion, no counterpoint, no clarification.

People, I gotta say, if things continue to move inthis direction, the future ain't as great as the past or present. As long as these folks are winning the PR battle, mosty because the majority docs don't acknowledge that there is one being waged, then we will see declining salaries, longer hours, and less respect. We know what an amazing job anesthesiologists do...it's just that most people have no idea.

Cant Find The Link To The Private Forum. Can Someone Help Me Out? Thanks.

;)
threepeas said:
Cant Find The Link To The Private Forum. Can Someone Help Me Out? Thanks.
Yo, threepeas.

Read the Post-It on the top of the Anesthesiology Forum. It'll tell you how to get into the private forum ;)

PM me when you've done it.

later

That sums up why when I am done with residency my billboard will read

"Now hiring AA's to provide anesthesia in the team care model"

I encourage all to help promote AA schools so that we have the chance to employ quality people who want to work in the team care model

I just hope that by the time I am an attending/mba making the choices there are enough AA schools to provide me the personel to staff a hospital with MDAs and AAs.

Go JWK

lvspro said:

AHHHHH GEEEEZ LIVS....

I make a comedic post and you drag my mom into the conversation....

Nothin' personal, but because of your mom joke, I'm puttin' out an A P B to my homie Dr DRE.

Expect a drive-by with BULLETS-TO-YOUR-******-DOME

within 24 hours. :laugh:

man i wish i was a gangsta rappa.....

DRE, ARE YA FEELIN' ME ON THIS?

REQUESTIN' GANGSTA SUPPORT FIRE FROM DRE ET AL!!!!!!!!!

FORTY FOUR REASONS COME TO MIND

WHILE YOUR ***** BRUTHA IS HARD TO FIND

lvspro said:

Uncalled-for-mama-reference, young-naive-dude.

Expect SUPPORT FIRE .

TAKE COVER.

INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

blocks said:
I have to say though, they really are killing us on the public relations front. And that matters in a major way in this day and age when pharma companies and HMOs are spending duckets direct marketing on TV.

Take for example wikipedia. Look up CRNA...you will see amongst other things a link to "No Significant Differences in Anesthesia Outcome by Provider"...with no debate no discussion, no counterpoint.
People, I gotta say, if things continue to move inthis direction, the future ain't as great as the past or present. As long as these folks are winning the PR battle, mosty because the majority docs don't acknowledge that there is one being waged, then we will see declining salaries, longer hours, and less respect.

And judging by the posts on this thread some of you guys certainly aren't doing yourselves any favors. :smuggrin:

apellous said:
That sums up why when I am done with residency my billboard will read

"Now hiring AA's to provide anesthesia in the team care model"

I encourage all to help promote AA schools so that we have the chance to employ quality people who want to work in the team care model

I just hope that by the time I am an attending/mba making the choices there are enough AA schools to provide me the personel to staff a hospital with MDAs and AAs.

Go JWK
Yeah, plus training CRNAs is a disservice to healthcare because it worsens the nursing shortage. Nurses are way too important to get them to leave their profession. We should have mostly MDs and AAs once there are enough of each and leave nurses where they're needed.

On wikipedia. Anyone can edit that crap. Someone, go change that crap on wikipedia. I say Toughlife should do it, because he seems like the one that would get the job done well. Its easy. I do it for random definitions when I get bored. I don't care enough about "the cause" to be the one.

DreamMachine said:
Dude. We will survive.

On wikipedia. Anyone can edit that crap. Someone, go change that crap on wikipedia. I say Toughlife should do it, because he seems like the one that would get the job done well. Its easy. I do it for random definitions when I get bored. I don't care enough about "the cause" to be the one.

I know you will survive..............we ALL will survive. I have NO problems with MD's..........I do have a problem with egotistical, sophomoric a$$holes. But that isn't necessarily a insinuation.........toward you dude ;)

jetproppilot said:
AHHHHH GEEEEZ LIVS....

Nothin' personal, but because of your mom joke, I'm puttin' out an A P B to my homie Dr DRE.

Expect a drive-by with BULLETS-TO-YOUR-*****-DOME

It was a toss up between saying, "I think my goat would take objection to being called a rodent," and what I actually wrote.

Disclaimer: I'm sure jets mom is a saint.

I miss NWA.

"According to the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists, CRNAs provide the majority of anesthetics in rural settings in the United States, and in over 2/3 of all rural hospitals are the sole anesthesia providers."

Is this true?

all of you - -

and that sign? couldn't find any reference re: research -

thanks for the laugh tho !

blocks said:
I have to say though, they really are killing us on the public relations front.

Question: How many people outside of a hospital even know what a CRNA is?
Answer: Not many.

Nothing wrong with a group being proud of their job, but I'm not sure who they are exactly advertising to with such little public awareness of how anesthesia is provided.

Born2baDoctor said:
"According to the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists, CRNAs provide the majority of anesthetics in rural settings in the United States, and in over 2/3 of all rural hospitals are the sole anesthesia providers."

Is this true?

This actually may be true. I am from a state where there is a lot of rural areas and hospitals. When I was a medical student and I was doing rural rotations, all the anesthesia was given by CRNA's tht practiced under the surgeons license. There were no anesthesiologists. The one anesthesiologist in one small town I knew of was doing pain and was not in the OR at all. He told me that he really wanted to be in the OR as well but the CRNA's had such a monopoly that the surgeons would not contract with him. This is scary stuff folks. I have said it over and over again, no one needs to bad mouth the CRNA's but I really do feel that the ASA should do more to point out the level of education between the two and discuss the differences. Then let the public decide who they want to deliver their anesthetic.

What is also frightening is the push by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing proposed conversion to "Doctor of Nursing Practice" by 2015. There is an article about this in the May 2006 ASA Newletter. If they get there way, CRNA's could be calling themselves doctor since they would be granted PhD status. Wouldn't that be fun to have to explain to patients. I find this outrageous and we all should be writing the AMA and ASA to stop this.

Mman said:
Question: How many people outside of a hospital even know what a CRNA is?
Answer: Not many.

Nothing wrong with a group being proud of their job, but I'm not sure who they are exactly advertising to with such little public awareness of how anesthesia is provided.

The reason for all the PR hoorah right now is because 2006 is AANA's 75th anniversary, and the 75th convention is in early August.

foxtrot said:
What is also frightening is the push by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing proposed conversion to "Doctor of Nursing Practice" by 2015. There is an article about this in the May 2006 ASA Newletter. If they get there way, CRNA's could be calling themselves doctor since they would be granted PhD status. Wouldn't that be fun to have to explain to patients. I find this outrageous and we all should be writing the AMA and ASA to stop this.

The AANA is a member of an organization of advance nurse practitioners (can't remember the name). Consists of CRNAs, midwives, FNPs, etc.

Several factions (not the AANA) began this push to have advance nurse practitioner education on the doctorate level by 2015. In fact, the AANA initially was very much against it. It had no real benefit, and lots of negative aspects.

When it became obvious that AANA was swimming against the tide on this issue, it gave in. It was not a battle worth fighting against other factions within nursing education. In a nutshell, AANA is simply going along to get along, but still remains extremely lukewarm about the entire issue. The AANA leadership felt it had to pick it's battles wisely, and this simply wasn't a battle worth fighting.

Doctorate of Nursing Practice? Ha! Milk just shot out my nose. That is HILARIOUS.

DreamMachine said:
Doctorate of Nursing Practice? Ha! Milk just shot out my nose. That is HILARIOUS.

I've been a member of AANA for quite a while. They've done some things which royally pissed me off, and which I felt were bad decisions.

There are only two reasons I haven't dropped my AANA membership:

1. it makes maintaining my CEU transcript much much easier for recertification, being granted privileges, etc.

2. my malprac carrier mandates AANA membership as a criteria for coverage. No AANA membership, no malprac policy.

Looking through all the hullaballoo, smoke and mirrors, and blustering, I fully agree about the charade of this doctorate.

Have you ever had room-temperature 7-up shoot through your nose? Quite stimulating, I can attest.

I read the "CRNA vs MDA" threads in the FAQ and still don't understand. If CRNAs can practice without MD's, what is preventing them from making >250k +? Especially with this push for "PhD" degrees, patients woudn't know that their anesthesiologist went to nursing school right?

This doesn't bother any of you practicing anesthesiologists? They may be working for you now and helping you earn $$, but what about in 5-10 yrs? You guys have prob already made a good living, but what about the med students, interns, residents.... should they be concerned?

toughlife said:

Amazing!

Sounds like a lot of people have a lot of time on thier hands. Why are you people so threatened by CRNAs???? My father and a relative are both CRNAs. They are both two of the smartest people I know, even though they are not doctors!! I am a physician in surgical residency...and still think they are 2 of the most intellegent well rounded poeple i know. But thats besides the point. You people that cause so much comotion are making it back fire on you. Most of the surgeons i work with enjoy the CRNAs and get frustrated with all the political crap that the Anethesiologist through in. And to the person that commented on using AAs.....give me a break. WHAT A JOKE!! I would much rathert work with a CRNA!!!! In order to get accepted to CRNA school these nurses have to have 2 years of ICU experience, AAs g have a degree in just about anything!!..... no medica/hospitall experience needed to get in to AA school. If i were a patient i would want a nurse anethetist not a AA, and i think the general public agrees, thats why there are but only a few schools. AAs will never be what a CRNA is!!! Surgeons that i work with would go to battle for the CRNA. Sorry if thats disapointing to some of you out there. I suggest working on realationships between CRNas and Anesthesiologist. Both are here to stay. I know there are some radical CRNAs but its not the majority!!!! The CRNAs i work with like to have anesthesiologist to work with, rather than doing the anesthesia all alone. If you take the time to take a picture off the side of the road of a billboard, maybe you should reconsider anesthesia and work in some other tyep of medicine where you dont feel so threatened.

Don't you have TPN orders to write or something?
Anyway, thanks for the update from "surgery".

wrx said:
This doesn't bother any of you practicing anesthesiologists? They may be working for you now and helping you earn $$, but what about in 5-10 yrs? You guys have prob already made a good living, but what about the med students, interns, residents.... should they be concerned?

They should be VERY concerned.......

Jet, Sorry I missed your APB. I was slingin rhymes in the I-C-U. Sorry I couldn't back you up. Keep lurkin'
Dre'

jetproppilot said:
AHHHHH GEEEEZ LIVS....

Expect a drive-by with BULLETS-TO-YOUR-******-DOME

NateB said:
Sounds like a lot of people have a lot of time on thier hands. Why are you people so threatened by CRNAs???? My father and a relative are both CRNAs. They are both two of the smartest people I know, even though they are not doctors!! I am a physician in surgical residency...and still think they are 2 of the most intellegent well rounded poeple i know. But thats besides the point. You people that cause so much comotion are making it back fire on you. Most of the surgeons i work with enjoy the CRNAs and get frustrated with all the political crap that the Anethesiologist through in. And to the person that commented on using AAs.....give me a break. WHAT A JOKE!! I would much rathert work with a CRNA!!!! In order to get accepted to CRNA school these nurses have to have 2 years of ICU experience, AAs g have a degree in just about anything!!..... no medica/hospitall experience needed to get in to AA school. If i were a patient i would want a nurse anethetist not a AA, and i think the general public agrees, thats why there are but only a few schools. AAs will never be what a CRNA is!!! Surgeons that i work with would go to battle for the CRNA. Sorry if thats disapointing to some of you out there. I suggest working on realationships between CRNas and Anesthesiologist. Both are here to stay. I know there are some radical CRNAs but its not the majority!!!! The CRNAs i work with like to have anesthesiologist to work with, rather than doing the anesthesia all alone. If you take the time to take a picture off the side of the road of a billboard, maybe you should reconsider anesthesia and work in some other tyep of medicine where you dont feel so threatened.

Most of the anesthesiologists I know would much rather work with a PA, and think that they should be able to do surgery without supervision, as opposed to working with arrogant, bullheaded surgeons, and all the political crap they bring to the OR, along with their little weenies. ;) I also think you know a lot about AAs for a surgical resident? Hmmm, I think I smells me a wittle troll :rolleyes:

Laryngospasm said:
Most of the anesthesiologists I know would much rather work with a PA, and think that they should be able to do surgery without supervision, as opposed to working with arrogant, bullheaded surgeons, and all the political crap they bring to the OR, along with their little weenies. ;) I also think you know a lot about AAs for a surgical resident? Hmmm, I think I smells me a wittle troll :rolleyes:

Nice.

NateB said:

Obviously a CRNA! If you were a surgeon, why would you create a new membership login just to answer a post in the anesthesiology thread?

After reading posts related to this argument, it seems like Anesthesiologists are afraid of CRNAs and CRNAs are afraid of AAs. Who should the AAs be afraid of? I hope it's not like this in the real world. Can’t everybody just get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.