Looking at pedi fellowships...what r good ones?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invitro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I'm a CA-3 at a strong anesthesia program in the southwest. Have decided I want to do a pedi fellowship next year. Any pedi fellows want to chime in on their experiences?

I am looking to get tons of experience with neonates/infants and would like to be involved in a variety of cases.

Also, I would prefer to be in a program that has kind supportive attgs....I think it would make the experience much better.

Looking at Arkansas children's, texas children's, Dupont Children's, Children's National....anywhere else?

Thanks to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Childrens' Memorial in Chicago, Stanford, CHOP (Philly), and Boston Childrens' are the power programs. Some would put Denver and Cinci in that category purely from a volume perspective. That said, as a CA3, you might be behind the curve a little. Many competitive peds fellowships started interviewing last winter. If you're thinking about doing a peds fellowship, start talking to people in your department immediately so you can get letters and your application together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of these programs will provide a solid experience:

Children's Hospital of Boston
CHOP
Pittsburgh
John's Hopkins
Children's National Medical Center (DC)
Emory
Northwestern/McGaw
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
University of Michigan
Cincinnati Children's
Seattle Children's
Denver Children's
Children's Hospital of Los Angeles
Baylor (Texas Children's)

Some programs obviously are more "prestigious." Any of these programs provide solid training. Consider program size when making your decision. Pediatric fellowships are usually 1 year. Being one of several fellows at a "lesser known" institution may actually provide a better experience than competing with 10-15 fellows at a high profile institution, especially if you enter fellowship as an outsider. Finally, think about where you might want to eventually practice.

you are way behind the ball, especially for peds - those fill up very very early.

Yeah will have to agree with all of the posters above...just called several of the big name places....they have filled all/most of their spots.

One place I was interested in, texas children's, apparently filled their last spot in June!

Well, let's see what happens....when you do your peds month late in your CA-2 year I guess you got to settle for the leftovers....:laugh:

All the CA3s at my residency that are doing peds next year have had their spots locked up for months.

Cardiac filled early this year too. The regional and ICU wannabes are interviewing now. Not sure about pain...

I'd add Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto to that list. (have to be willing to go to canada, though. :( )
Anybody else going to CHB in 2010?
chris

Any of these programs will provide a solid experience:

Children's Hospital of Boston
CHOP
Pittsburgh
John's Hopkins
Children's National Medical Center (DC)
Emory
Northwestern/McGaw
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
University of Michigan
Cincinnati Children's
Seattle Children's
Denver Children's
Children's Hospital of Los Angeles
Baylor (Texas Children's)

Some programs obviously are more "prestigious." Any of these programs provide solid training. Consider program size when making your decision. Pediatric fellowships are usually 1 year. Being one of several fellows at a "lesser known" institution may actually provide a better experience than competing with 10-15 fellows at a high profile institution, especially if you enter fellowship as an outsider. Finally, think about where you might want to eventually practice.

I went to Mayo Clinic - Nemours childrens clinic/wolfson childrens hospital............was great fellowship. Get to be in Florida (jacksonville) for the year, great case variety, faculty and enough cardiac experience. Had plenty of time to prepare for boards, no moonlighting though. Pretty competitive.......usually only two spots. Training spot for Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, and Minnesota residents. Great place/year................look into it. Part of Mayo Clinic Graduate Medical Education.

Read what you want into national ranking systems. These aren't rankings of anesthesiology departments, but they propably reflect a strong referal base that will provide good opportunities. I guess you can get lousy training at a great hospital, but anyway...

http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...6/17/best-childrens-hospitals-honor-roll.html
"A small number of children's [COLOR=#005497 !important][COLOR=#005497 !important]hospitals[/COLOR][/COLOR]—10 out of the 160 surveyed and 98 that responded—were ranked in all 10 specialties. This unusually capable group, listed alphabetically below, constitutes the Honor Roll. It is the first appearance of a pediatric counterpart to the Honor Roll in the Best Hospitals rankings.
[See America's Best Children's Hospitals and search for one near you.]
Children's Hospital (Denver)
Children's Hospital Boston
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Children's Medical Center (Dallas)
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Children's Center (Baltimore)
New York-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley-Komansky Children's Hospital
St. Louis Children's Hospital-Washington University
Texas Children's Hospital (Houston)"

Yeah-stanford ain't on that list...