Looking back at the ortho match.. Phone calls from residents, etc??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Str8Wire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the whole ortho match thing is over. I was wondering if anyone had "tales from the journey" so to speak.

I have heard from some other folks that they were ask straight up at some programs what their rank list was. Did any one experience this? if so what schools? I didn't have it happen but I did get a lot of "where else are you interviewing"

I have also heard that residents will call the folks after the interview with a little informal headsup/got any questions... Didn't have this either but had a good buddy that got one. Anyone else?

Any other things that went on that made you think, hmmm is this "legal"?

Just curious how everyone elses process went.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand if it's a non match program they can offer you a spot at any time. This is why some programs acceptance date happens before the date to opt out of the match. The match rules only apply to programs that are signed up for the match. If they ask your rank list it's probably prudent to say that your interviews aren't over yet.

Any other things that went on that made you think, hmmm is this "legal"?

Just curious how everyone elses process went.

If you interview at more than just a couple of schools, you are highly likely to encounter "dubious" activity with respect to the so-called Rules of Match. But, frankly, I could care less. I don't see any ethical compromise in talking directly with programs about whatever you want to. The Match is a For Profit company that imposes its arbitrary rules on Programs and Applicants each year. Often times this prevents honest discussions. Why should we be slaves to these arbitrary rules?

But, for the record, I followed all the rules. (Looking over my shoulder for the secret "Match" hidden cameras)