1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

looking down on D.O.?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by sdnstud, May 7, 2004.

1. sdnstud

sdnstud 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Have any of you felt that you've been looked down upon because you're from a D.O. school, not a M.D. school? Have any of you felt you are at a disadvantage (job market wise) compared to a M.D.?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We are mostly 1st-4th year students on this board, so we are not DOs yet and we don't have personal experience with the job market, only anecdotal (which we are more than willing to share). I think this question would best be answered on the Residency board.

I will answer part of your question with a rhetorical question: why does it matter if people look down on me? If they do, it is because they don't know me, don't know my school or what a truly excellent education I am getting, or what a hard worker I am, how good I am with patients, etc. etc. Do people look down on students at Drexel or other less-well ranked allopathic schools? Of course. My school is ranked 23rd in the nation for primary care--does that make me better or worse than the people at the 22nd ranked school or the 24th ranked school? Of course not. There will always be insecure people who need to make themselves feel better by looking down on others. Life is too short and precious to care about that.

I tend to concern myself less with what others think and more about how to become a good doctor someday and help my patients, while having a career that challenges and satisfies me.

Maybe the DOs on the residency board can offer more perspective since they are out there in the real world.

4. friedcfood

friedcfood USC-IM
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if you do a quick search on this forum, you will find that this topic has been discussed extensively.

I tend to agree with sophiejane tho.

5. drdrtoledo

drdrtoledo Pharm Delicious
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I love telling this story! I applied to med school during my last year of Pharm.D. school. I was rotating in ID with an MD doc. I told her that I wanted to apply to Osteopathic school. She gave me a lecture on how I'd never be respected, be looked down on, never be equal to an MD, etc. I finally asked her where she went to school... A CARIBBEAN School. If you don't see the irony in that...
    ATnS

6. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would seriously laugh in her face.....screw the evaulation or not. I would just laugh and laugh.....

probably have to excuse myself....from snorting too much.

7. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No. Patients ask once in a while. Sometimes nurses don't know how a DO is different from a MD though they know we're both "doctors."

8. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Not an issue...except perhaps with a few individuals who frequent these boards. Ahh the internet.

9. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

I haven't even started school yet, but I know that every MD I talk to, which is a fair number, talk mad **** about DO's.

10. Cowboy DO

Cowboy DO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is there a hint of sarcasm there?

11. bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

I will have to add that I have yet to come into contact with any docs that have anything negative to say about DOs. Granted, I have not spoken to every doc out there. But if it comes down to it...if anyone gives me crap, they will just have to see how I work. ;)

12. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

In my 10 months as an Emergency Medicine Intern at a large urban hospital associated with an MD school, and only twice have I been asked about the DO thing:

Once from an RN who didn't know what it was
    and from a PCT who asked what it was.

I actually have residents and interns tell me that I'm pretty dang sharp and am one of the sharper residents here compared to my colleagues (almost all MDs). I also scored the highest on our program's national in-service exam (given by the American College of Emergency Physicians).

Q, DO

13. fuegorama

fuegorama Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am frequently looked down upon...but that is just my position of preference.

It's being looked at from behind that makes me a little uncomfortable.

14. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

No man, I wasn't being sarcastic. I've heard from MD's the following:

"So do you feel like you're going to be a real doctor?"
    "Just make sure you take the MD boards so everyone won't knock you for being DO"
    "Why are you doing DO, are you a dummy?" (im serious)
    "These kids will be MD's, not DO's" (regarding some scholastic award-winners)

And various complaints about DO's being allowed to work in the local hospital, and how they're trying to limit it.

15. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    HAAAAAAA!!!!!!

16. irish79

irish79 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    (nicedream), where do you live?

17. Wo1verine7DO

Wo1verine7DO Guest

I shadowed a lot of MDs at Children's Mercy Hospital in KCMO and all of them seem cool about me going to a DO school. I feel like an equal when they talk to me...other residents even let me do some hand's on stuff sometimes when it can be done by an MS I.

18. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I just had dinner with my gf's Dad and step-Mom. Her Dad is an MD with a faculty appointment at Case Western. I ask him what he thought about DO's and if he thought my going to a DO school would negatively impact my career. He said that the only difference in training was that "DO's end up learning how to give really great massages," and that he doesn't think it matters where you go to school as much as how you do on your clinical rotations. He went on to say that there are a couple of attendings in the program that "look down their noses at DO's..." but that they "look down their noses at everyone else, too."

He also mentioned that they usually had a DO or two in each group of incoming residents and that he'd never noticed a difference in ability between the MD's and DO's.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it. I'll bet it taste good :thumbup:

19. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Wish docs here were like that. I'm afraid us FLECOMers are going to have a bitch of a time during rotations. I dread encountering some of these guys - heck I dread encountering them now.

20. Dr.ImCute

Dr.ImCute Member
    5+ Year Member

one of my really great friends is going to an M.D. school, and I was telling him about my concerns n' stuff -- how ppl think D.O.s are second rate... but then he asked me, "do you know what they're going to call the last ranked person in my class and your class?"... "a doctor".... :laugh: and that made me laugh... now I feel better.

by the way, if you ever feel like moving to Europe, you'll make more $ than an M.D. OHHH in YOUR FACE!

21. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo

I dunno about that. I've worked with several docs (MD and DO) in the Bradenton/Sarasota area, and have even done some time at Manatee Memorial Hospital. Don't get that feeling at ALL about DOs. I spent a month with the head Trauma Surgeon at Bayfront in St. Pete, and he had nothing but good things to say. The Asst. Director of the ED at Bayfront is a DO as well, and he has everyone's respect in the hospital. And there are 3 out of 12 DOs at my Emergency Medicine Residency at Tampa General Hospital.

Q, DO

22. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey Folks,

This is 2004 and most people in medicine realize that physicians come in two flavors, DO and MD. There are always going to be insecure MDs who DO-bash and the reverse. For some reason, people just do this and pre-meds are notorious for bashing someone for an ego boost.

In my experience, patients don't care about DO or MD as long as you get the job done. I have heard some residency directors and department chairmen state that they will "Never have a DO" in their programs but that tends to make me look skeptically at their programs. Since many DOs are good physicians, why would I want to be in a residency program that doesn't want a good physician? Good physicians are good physicians whether DO or MD.

When you hit the job market, DO or MD, you have to sell yourself. Are you a good clinician? Has your residency program trained you well to both practice and run a practice? Your medical school training is going to have little to do with how well you are able to practice but your residency will. Whether DO or MD, you have to be able to function. The last time I looked, there were more non-functional MDs than DOs just because of the numbers alone.

There is always someone who will attempt to make you feel inferior for ego boost or whatever but remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your permission. Whether you are DO or MD, it is incumbent upon you to be sure that you are the best physician out there. That being said, everything else will fall into place and DO-bashing is just obsolete.

njbmd :)

23. Very true, most of the time your business is going to come form referrals from other physicians. And other physicians are not going to risk their relationship with their patient for some DO/MD pissing war. They are going to send them to the best physician since it reflects directly on them. So as long as one builds a solid rep as a good clinician this whole DO/MD is moot.

24. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Well I'm glad to hear that. The doctors I was talking about are at Manatee Memorial.

25. VentdependenT

Fellow [Any Field]
    manatee memorial...sounds like a powerhouse institution. Too bad I won't be working there.

26. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo

Yeah, like njb says, you're going to encounter that anywhere you go. Don't let any of it get to you! I'm a DO in the ED at TGH, and I talk to transferring docs from all over the west coast of FL, I consult some of the big wigs in neurosurgery/ortho/OB/GYN/ENT etc at TGH... none of them care that I'm a DO... all that matters is that you're a good physician... if you're not, then they'll pick on you.

There are good DOs, and bad DOs. There are good MDs, and bad MDs. IMHO, however, there are *probably* a few more bad DOs percentage-wise....

Q, DO

27. VentdependenT

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thats nice to hear.

28. Cowboy DO

Cowboy DO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Come on now, was that necessary? :p

29. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo

I gave the disclaimer... "IMHO."

Q, DO

30. Cowboy DO

Cowboy DO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

31. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is almost as good as the line "So to speak"

Example - You are an absolute Di**head!......so to speak. :D

One of my favorite disclaimer lines.....

32. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Or "no offense, but...." :smuggrin:

33. fuegorama

fuegorama Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

There are good DOs, and bad DOs. There are good MDs, and bad MDs. IMHO, however, there are *probably* a few more bad DOs percentage-wise....

Q, DO[/QUOTE]

Q-
    While most of your posts make me feel giggly and warm inside...this quote makes it a little tough to maintain my crush.
    Are there unsavory anecdotes, lost piss matches, $hitty outcomes etc. that have led you down this path? Or, has your recent elevation to the ether of charter-class residency caused you to forget the position you too shared not so long ago?
    Perhaps you could elucidate your viewpoint and return your shiny, mod rep to that of the freshly scrubbed cherubic DO I long to adore.

34. kpax18

kpax18 almost there
    7+ Year Member

key word, "IMHO"

35. Cowboy DO

Cowboy DO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You ever start typing something and whish you would stop, but you just can't. Its like that big red button with the sign over it that reads "Don't Push". This is one of those times...

No offense but, here is the thing. Which I'm sure I will get crap for, but I guess that?s ok because I'm really splitting hairs here. Also, I certainly don't mean to berate or offend Quinn in anyway what-so-ever because he's been around forever and has the respect of everyone I see here that frequents this web board including myself. Which unfortunately is the problem "his honest opinion" carries a lot of weight to a lot of people here and many people will take it at face value, as I usually do. So the "disclaimer" isn't worth the paper its printed on...so to speak.

Nothing but love,
    CB

36. VentdependenT

Fellow [Any Field]
    No alarms and no suprises please. It really doesn't matter.

37. sia_simba

sia_simba Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This must be the 8403298403984 times i've replied to a post like this. Never once has it ceased to amaze me on how repetitive things can be. Oh wells.. here we go again...

Who cares???? You're a doctor because you want to be a doctor... not because of the two letters behind your name. MD/DO... whatever... if an MD comes up to me and tells me he is better than me.. i'll put my gun down... clap my hands.. and then shoot him.. hehehe... J/K. Its illegal to own a gun in NY state or at least purchase one legally.. *hint *hint.

DO's just want to practice medicine, help people, earn some $$ to support self, family... I personally think that is an honorable job. Which logical person would put down someone who is committing and honorable act?

Honestly though, its how much you believe in yourself. If you let all the hype about MD superior and DO inferior, maybe you DONT deserve to be a DO.

I will be one and forever, with my head held up high, I smile at my counterpart MDs who makes fun of me and think to myself... DAMN.. he must be really pissed off right now because we're making the same $$$. thats always a comforter for me. =)