Looking for a DO school that matches me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuco's revenge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I've been a lurker for a long time and this is my first post on SDN!

So I am looking for a DO school that has the following features:
1. Cheap tuition (around 40k or less)
2. NO mandatory attendance.
3. solid record of matching a decent amount of students into anesthesia

My GPA is 3.96 and my MCAT is 510 (128,126,125,131) and I am an ORM CA resident. I feel like I have a great shot at any DO school so I want to go to one that will make my life easier if I don't get into any MD this year

Any tips? I know LECOM is 30k a year but I hear they have mandatory attendance :(

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We'd all love to eat our cake and have it too.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone other than LECOM have tuition under $40K for out of state students? Honest question. (I know some of the state schools might be cheaper for in-state students, but that won't help OP).

For what it's worth, the mandatory attendance isn't bad after the first 10-12 weeks if you're PBL. Your time on campus is usually only 2 hours M/W/F and a half day Tuesday & Thursday. Some weeks are mostly free except for obviously studying-- I had times I didn't go to campus except on Tuesdays for a week or two.

But yeah, as others have said, you'll likely have to choose which factor is more important for you.

Does anyone other than LECOM have tuition under $40K for out of state students? Honest question. (I know some of the state schools might be cheaper for in-state students, but that won't help OP).

Unless you count TCOM then no, I made an excel sheet with all the schools and their respective tuitions. I guess TCOM could fit all of OPs descriptions but I'm not sure about the mandatory classes.

1) I'd like Dane Cook to be funny.

2) Pizza that gives me six pack abs.

3) For the ladies to finally acknowledge my Toyota Echo as a babe magnet.

We're just stating ridiculous stuff here, right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 12 users

My GPA is 3.96 and my MCAT is 510 (128,126,125,131) and I am an ORM CA resident. I feel like I have a great shot at any DO school so I want to go to one that will make my life easier if I don't get into any MD this year

Any tips? I know LECOM is 30k a year but I hear they have mandatory attendance :(

Thank you!!
No DO schools fit your criteria. Retake the MCAT and apply to your state MD programs.

Reactions: 2 users
You seem a bit too confident in your ability to earn an acceptance to DO schools. I wouldn't count on having this luxury. I'd bet that you don't receive interviews from half the schools you apply to. Not because I am trying to be negative towards you, but because it may come as a surprise to you but DO schools receive thousands of very competitive applicants and numbers aren't everything in this game. Personality and LORs weigh heavily into their decision making process. Tread lightly and don't get too comfortable.

Reactions: 3 users
Excellent anesthesia matches are extremely random for DO. In the last few years, most of the top matches in anesthesia were from schools that have been around for 10-40 years...

So it doesn't matter what DO school you go to in this regard, just do well.

LECOM-B. Enjoy, it's literally your only option. But not with "excellent" anesthesia matches, just "okay" ones.

LECOM-B. Enjoy, it's literally your only option. But not with "excellent" anesthesia matches, just "okay" ones.

Bottle of water in classroom >>> MGH Anesthesia match (oh wait I think that was Erie, meh still applies)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM would fit your criteria. Look into their DSP or PBL pathways.

Like some ppl said, apply first and see where you get accepted, then choose. Right now you're just throwing darts in the dark.

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you!!
LOL... really? You sound like a 12 yr old.

60% don't get in so worry about which school afterward as you may not get to be picky.

Thanks for the feedback guys! How is KCUMB? Anyone here go there and can tell me about it? It seems like they got rid of mandatory attendance recently and their tuition is 45k which is really not too bad! (definetly beats Westerns 53k or going OOS to Indiana MD for 75k) They seem to match students to specialties on par with many MD schools too according to their match list

Go apply to HMS. Their MSTP program offers free tuition and COL through the NIH new scientist education funding. The lectures probably aren't mandatory, but you'd probably want to go. However, you get 8 years of free education and two degrees that open the doorway to any hospital on the planet.
Click here to apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Go apply to HMS. Their MSTP program offers free tuition and COL through the NIH new scientist education funding. The lectures probably aren't mandatory, but you'd probably want to go. However, you get 8 years of free education and two degrees that open the doorway to any hospital on the planet.
Click here to apply.

I actually know someone who did this exact program. Good lord he had insane credentials after graduating...

How is KCUMB? Anyone here go there and can tell me about it? It seems like they got rid of mandatory attendance recently and their tuition is 45k which is really not too bad! (definetly beats Westerns 53k or going OOS to Indiana MD for 75k) They seem to match students to specialties on par with many MD schools too according to their match lis

I got to KCU. We had a match to ENT at Tulane University this year (please don't think this will 99% happen to you, this is n=1) and a lot of GenSurg/Ortho matches as well. We have one very successful MS-3 who is a Sarnoff Research Fellow right now with the Chair of Cardiology or EM (can't remember) at the University Michigan Health System.

I would say the reason why KCU has decently strong match in comparison to other DO programs is because of it's proximity to two MD schools and academic medical centers that one can network with through clinical rotations and research. PM me if you have questions about.

If you are wanting to do a surgical subspecialty or a competitive academic specialty PLEASE reapply to MD schools first before applying to DO schools. It doesn't matter if you go to KCU or LECOM, you will have an easier time getting into this specialty you are desiring at an MD school. Reapply MD. Fix whatever was deficient on your app or your interview skills.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a high regard for it. Any DO school that can send people to Mayo impresses me (and yes, I know that even Big Names can have lousy residency programs).

Thanks for the feedback guys! How is KCUMB? Anyone here go there and can tell me about it? It seems like they got rid of mandatory attendance recently and their tuition is 45k which is really not too bad! (definetly beats Westerns 53k or going OOS to Indiana MD for 75k) They seem to match students to specialties on par with many MD schools too according to their match list

For what it's worth, the mandatory attendance isn't bad after the first 10-12 weeks if you're PBL. Your time on campus is usually only 2 hours M/W/F and a half day Tuesday & Thursday. Some weeks are mostly free except for obviously studying-- I had times I didn't go to campus except on Tuesdays for a week or two.

But yeah, as others have said, you'll likely have to choose which factor is more important for you.

I think Pikeville-Kentucky has close to that (I think it is ~41k per year), but 70% of their students go into rural primary care. Really there is always a trade off for these things, it is very rare that you get the whole package.

A lot of the cheaper schools are situated in the south and geared towards fixing the huge lack of physicians in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile