Looking for a little info on DO residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhenieMack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am considering a career as a DO because I like the idea of holistic healing and a whole-body approach, and I am also interested in patient care. There is one thing that worries me though, and hopefully some of you can give me some information.

What is the residency program like as a DO? Is it as intense as an MD? As long? As shiver-inducing? I read that allopathic residents work 80-100 hours per week, 30 hour shift, etc. Is that what an osteopthic residency is like? I ask not because I am lazy or want to skate through my work, but because I am a little older and want to start a family before I'm 35. I wouldn't mind doing a residency, but not at the expense of not having children.

If anyone knows what is like, please let me know! I'm also considering optometry because of the primary patient care aspect and shorter, less intense residency, and would like to figure out which would be a better fit.

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.