Looking for a medical textbook with all possible human body tricks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clottingfactors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I am looking for a good textbook with all human body tricks.

I don't know the exact names but here are some:

1: If you use a pen light the pupils constrict back and forth.

2. Simple one is the reflex trick with a rubber hammer.

3. Bowel sounds heard with a stethoscope. Should be heard every 5-15 sec and if not listen in each quadrant for at least 5 mintues.

4. I think if postassium is low or high not sure the masseter muscle if touch will make other facial muscle spasm.

5. Cold water calorics used to check spinal cord connection. You pour really icey water into the ear and the eyes will keep moving towards that ear. This is very cool :).

So I guess you see what I mean by cool physiology book of tricks or even including with medications.

Is there anyone that makes such an advance cool simple textbook?

Please any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mosbys physical exam? You are just describing PE findings.

...doesn't "really icey water" (not just ice water) cause the nystagmus to be away from the ear? COWS was the only thing I learned in neuro....and I don't think that's considered testing the spinal cord, either.

...doesn't "really icey water" (not just ice water) cause the nystagmus to be away from the ear? COWS was the only thing I learned in neuro....and I don't think that's considered testing the spinal cord, either.

Yes, COWS is in reference to the direction of the nystagmus, not the gaze preference

Ok I am looking for a good textbook with all human body tricks.

I don't know the exact names but here are some:

1: If you use a pen light the pupils constrict back and forth.

2. Simple one is the reflex trick with a rubber hammer.

3. Bowel sounds heard with a stethoscope. Should be heard every 5-15 sec and if not listen in each quadrant for at least 5 mintues.

4. I think if postassium is low or high not sure the masseter muscle if touch will make other facial muscle spasm.

5. Cold water calorics used to check spinal cord connection. You pour really icey water into the ear and the eyes will keep moving towards that ear. This is very cool :).

So I guess you see what I mean by cool physiology book of tricks or even including with medications.

Is there anyone that makes such an advance cool simple textbook?

Please any help.

What you are looking for is Sapira's art and science of bedside diagnosis.

[YOUTUBE]srYUUJb6fEI[/YOUTUBE]

^^ damn u!

cannot_be_unseen.jpg

signed,
someone who is still traumatized post inner eyelid cellulitis debridement after what we call "the sketchy ski cabin hot tub incident"

Yes. Cold water is equivalent to turning your head the opposite direction (hyperpolarizing the hair cells on the side with the water)--so the VOR is towards the cold water and nystagmus away from it. The opposite is true for warm water--slow movement contralateral and nystagmus ipsilateral.

Last edited:
Here's one for you:

If you scratch a man's inner thigh, the testicles will raise/retract! Try it on a stranger for yourself!

What you are looking for is Sapira's art and science of bedside diagnosis.

Just looked this up on amazon, looks really interesting. Seems like a good book to read to kind of understand why the physical exam is what it is.

Here's one for you:

If you scratch a man's inner thigh, the testicles will raise/retract! Try it on a stranger for yourself!

Get a girl to check your cremasteric reflex as part of clinical skills experience :smuggrin: