1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a PGY-1 Pathology opening ANYWHERE

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Kannen1979, Jun 2, 2008.

1. HI, I am a traditional rotating intern who just did a pathology rotation and loved it. I would like to go into pathology and I am looking for ANY pgy-1 opening in pathology or pathology research starting THIS July. I do not have a job for July as of the moment.

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i tried to post the 2008 Match Outcomes by State data, but the file is too big. There you can find which programs did not fill. Perhaps one of them would be willing to let you start their program this year. At this point I can't think of anything better than simply cold-calling program coordinators, seeing if they still have any unfilled spots, and if so would they consider signing you for the 2000-2009 academic year. If you want the file (or if someone knows how I can post it), PM me and i'll be glad to send it to whatever email address you'd like.

4. LADoc00

LADoc00 There is no substitute for victory.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hmm why the heck would you think to post here for this. Just curious. I doubt residency directors peruse this site and pm to desperate sounds posts with offers of employment...

5. ABC789

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Because residents who are transferring might see the post and reply. Because residents might know of fellow residents transferring out of their programs. Because residents might know of other programs with vacancies. SDN wasn't the way I found my new program but it was at least worth a shot.

6. green mantis

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It's going to be a lot of work, but I think your best bet is to starting calling / emailing programs around the country. If you're really in the Chicago area, it may be worthwhile to go visit some of the local programs.

Your best bet is probably to consider less competitive programs. The worst that could happen is that you just wind up taking a year off & applying next year. If you can't do that, maybe you can do family medicine for a year? I'm sure some of those programs will have openings.

----- Antony

7. Thanks for the advice. I have made a LOT of phone calls over the past few weeks! :)

I had a FM spot lined up (signed contract), but I lost it, they kinda bullied me out of it after I asked them for a pathology elective and (somewhat foolishly) expressed an interest in pursuing Pathology. So know I have no job for July 1! I have lined up some part-time research and I will be working with a dermatopathologist to publish some cases, but neither of these are paid...

8. Thank you to everyone who PM'd me with info. I'm headed to Penn State!

9. Path or bust

Path or bust I like meat
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow, congrats! This is a good program with great post-placements (an impressive list). :thumbup:

10. pathstudent

pathstudent Sound Kapital
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Nice! I think they are supposed to have the best CP in the country.

11. JoeFISH

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats! I'll see you there...
    Joe

12. magician

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    not a good time at this moment.