Looking for a school list, 521 MCAT and 3.85 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IamDrStrange

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
521 (balanced), 3.85 cGPA, 3.84 sGPA

Clinical work: 5000+ hours as a patient care tech in a local hospital
Clinical volunteer: 36hrs - only for 1 year
Non Clinical volunteer: 230 hrs (worked as a volunteer teacher, and volunteered in the community)

Leadership: Cofounder of 2 separate clubs on campus, one medically related and one for social justice and minority groups

Shadowing: 50hrs in Cardiology, Oncology, general surgery, nuclear medicine

Research: 4 years as an undergrad with 1 presentation (no pubs) - this is where I lack but I do have a strong letter from my PI

I am a CA resident (US citizen but studied outside of US for high school - hopefully that doesn't matter too much). I don't have much knowledge about other states in the US and so need help in a list with schools that I may have a chance at. I really want to get into California and wasn't going to apply OOS. My friend said to still apply out of state but I honestly have no knowledge of schools. I've already submitted my primary and was verified yesterday. I want to add more school now but do not want to exceed 20 schools as I cannot afford that.

Members don't see this ad.

In case you haven't done so already, You should try using MSAR to learn about the schools.

521 (balanced), 3.85 cGPA, 3.84 sGPA

Clinical work: 5000+ hours as a patient care tech in a local hospital
Clinical volunteer: 36hrs - only for 1 year
Non Clinical volunteer: 230 hrs (worked as a volunteer teacher, and volunteered in the community)

Leadership: Cofounder of 2 separate clubs on campus, one medically related and one for social justice and minority groups

Shadowing: 50hrs in Cardiology, Oncology, general surgery, nuclear medicine

Research: 4 years as an undergrad with 1 presentation (no pubs) - this is where I lack but I do have a strong letter from my PI

I am a CA resident (US citizen but studied outside of US for high school - hopefully that doesn't matter too much). I don't have much knowledge about other states in the US and so need help in a list with schools that I may have a chance at. I really want to get into California and wasn't going to apply OOS. My friend said to still apply out of state but I honestly have no knowledge of schools. I've already submitted my primary and was verified yesterday. I want to add more school now but do not want to exceed 20 schools as I cannot afford that.

You could try these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rochester
Pitt
Case Western
Cincinnati
Miami
St. Louis
Boston University
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply out of state but reasonably top heavy, but in larger cities/ok weather places. (E.g. Mayo knows you're not going to live in Rochester, MN if you're a California person...)

I would apply out of state but reasonably top heavy, but in larger cities/ok weather places. (E.g. Mayo knows you're not going to live in Rochester, MN if you're a California person...)

I'm a current Mayo student and there are a bunch of Californians in my class, as well as folks from other states that never get snow. Most turn down schools in better weather cities, like UCSF and Stanford, to be at Mayo. So I wouldn't cross Mayo off your list if you're from the golden state because Mayo has a lot to offer and they accept people from all over the country. Also if you really hate the winter and you get into Mayo MN, you could just go to the AZ or FL campuses for selectives and rotations during the colder months. There's also the med school campus in AZ open now and the 2+2 program where you can opt to do 2 years at the FL campus.