looking for a specific JAMA article about board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtse106

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

had a lunch lecture today by a pediatrician and he mentioned a JAMA article that was published in the 70's that showed a inverse relationship between high board scores/medical school grades and perceived physician competence/production (ie. high grades =/= high physician competence).

i'm trying to look for it but i can't find it. does anyone know the author/exact title or could help me find it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest asking your lecturer. If they're quoting it, they should be able to give you enough info to find the original article. Maybe he/she was referencing these?

Gough. Some predictive implications of premedical scientific competence and preferences. J Med Educ (1978) vol. 53 (4) pp. 291-300

Willoughby et al. Correlates of clinical performance during medical school. J Med Educ (1979) vol. 54 (6) pp. 453-60

Last edited:
I've never heard that. But, I read an article that showed patients perceived their physicians as more knowledgeable if they were:

1) older
2) bald (i'm assuming this only applies to guys)

hi guys,

had a lunch lecture today by a pediatrician and he mentioned a JAMA article that was published in the 70's that showed a inverse relationship between high board scores/medical school grades and perceived physician competence/production (ie. high grades =/= high physician competence).

i'm trying to look for it but i can't find it. does anyone know the author/exact title or could help me find it?

Were the boards even scored on a non-pass/fail basis in the 70's?

so much has changed since then including testing and the patient population, I doubt that article would be generalizable to today.