jtse106

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
hi guys,

had a lunch lecture today by a pediatrician and he mentioned a JAMA article that was published in the 70's that showed a inverse relationship between high board scores/medical school grades and perceived physician competence/production (ie. high grades =/= high physician competence).

i'm trying to look for it but i can't find it. does anyone know the author/exact title or could help me find it?

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Mizzou Med
Status
I'd suggest asking your lecturer. If they're quoting it, they should be able to give you enough info to find the original article. Maybe he/she was referencing these?

Gough. Some predictive implications of premedical scientific competence and preferences. J Med Educ (1978) vol. 53 (4) pp. 291-300

Willoughby et al. Correlates of clinical performance during medical school. J Med Educ (1979) vol. 54 (6) pp. 453-60

Last edited:

penguin24

Don
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2008
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've never heard that. But, I read an article that showed patients perceived their physicians as more knowledgeable if they were:

1) older
2) bald (i'm assuming this only applies to guys)

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
hi guys,

had a lunch lecture today by a pediatrician and he mentioned a JAMA article that was published in the 70's that showed a inverse relationship between high board scores/medical school grades and perceived physician competence/production (ie. high grades =/= high physician competence).

i'm trying to look for it but i can't find it. does anyone know the author/exact title or could help me find it?

Were the boards even scored on a non-pass/fail basis in the 70's?

so much has changed since then including testing and the patient population, I doubt that article would be generalizable to today.