Looking for additional income to payoff student loans. Non-Pharmacist jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistFl12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently paying $4,400 monthly towards my student loans. Looking to payoff $153k in 2.5 years. I would like to pay $5,000 or more monthly but will need additional income. Beside picking up extra shifts, has anyone here consider working in the non-pharmacist jobs to gain additional income? The job market is really tough right now in Florida for second part-time jobs. I can work 2 extra days weekly.

Members don't see this ad.

Some days I made more waiting tables than I do as a rph. Is that the kind of non-pharmacist job you had in mind?

Yes, i'm seriously considering busser or waiter job on my days off. It'll be nice if majority of earnings are cash.

I kind of thought about doing that teach Chinese kids English thing over the internet that I always see online. But since it's like $14-20/hr I'm not sure if I would really consider it. It just sounds like it could be fun.

A lot of the other people I went to pharmacy school with (girls) are big into third party sales.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of thought about doing that teach Chinese kids English thing over the internet that I always see online. But since it's like $14-20/hr I'm not sure if I would really consider it. It just sounds like it could be fun.

A lot of the other people I went to pharmacy school with (girls) are big into third party sales.
I considered the Chinese thing too, it was 25$/hr but the hours are early morning/middle of the night depending on where you are. Usertesting is good for an extra ~50-100$ a week depending on how many tests you can get.

and make minimum wage? naw... honestly there is not much you can do part time to make more than you make as a Rph - unless you have a specific talent or connection (computer programming form home, IRB boards etc) or are willing to make an investment (rental properties, etc) - but to do - you have to have money to make money - and be willing to take the risk

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure I understand. If you want to make a little extra money, pick up an extra shift once in a while. Virtually everything else you do will pay less per hour than pharmacy...otherwise you would be doing that full time instead of pharmacy.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m not sure I understand. If you want to make a little extra money, pick up an extra shift once in a while. Virtually everything else you do will pay less per hour than pharmacy...otherwise you would be doing that full time instead of pharmacy.

I would love to pick up extra shifts or get part-time job. The job market is very saturated in Florida. I have many floater pharmacists in my district alone waiting and begging scheduler to give them more hours.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, did you refinance? My loans went from 6.8% to 2.9% variable, I paid then off in about two years. I also told my friends and got a few $200 referral bonuses, win win for everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, did you refinance? My loans went from 6.8% to 2.9% variable, I paid then off in about two years. I also told my friends and got a few $200 referral bonuses, win win for everyone.

Yes, I refinanced with SofI dropped from 6.8% to 4.8%. Still on the high side due to bad credit score but I'm not too concerned. I plan to payoff no longer than 3 years either way.

On that variable, how much did your percentage vary over the time you paid back loans? Curious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On that variable, how much did your percentage vary over the time you paid back loans? Curious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It crept up to 3.4% over the course of a year with DRB. So I refinanced a second time with Common Bond, got 2.9% variable again. By the time I paid it off, it was still under 3%.

My wife chose to go with 3.5% fixed with DRB, my decision to go with variable was worth it. We both paid off our loans around the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like half the women I know are selling a garbage non-FDA regulated pharmaceutical skincare line that uses synthetic prostaglandin analogues to make an “OTC Latisse”. It’s starting to get super annoying on the FaceSpace.

Colleges will hire pharmacists to teach drug classes for nursing students....but if you are in a saturated area, those jobs are probably already taken as well.

look into freelance work, perhaps medical writing/product reviews as a pharmacist. Non-Pharmacy I'd say start an Etsy/Amazon store selling whatever you want or are interested in.

Also bitcoin lol

Reactions: 1 user

There are limited opportunity to pick up shifts but I work retail full-time and completely burned out from the stress. I prefer to do something outside of retail setting or non-pharmacy related during my days off.

Have you considered the Army Reserves? They offer some nice bonuses and student loan repayment and you can join for 2 years. AMEDD recruiters will be able to help you (not a regular recruiter).

Reactions: 1 user
Life is short...take it easy....Work, play, and balance with your family. A loan is a loan....you will pay it off eventually. Spend more time for family, my friend. It is far more important.

But if you are called up, expect a low O-3 salary.
Would this even be a good idea for someone who's priority is to pay off loans then?

Last edited:
But if you are called up, expect a low O-3 salary.
Yeah, o3 annual base salary/allowances is just shy of $70k so you’d have to do the math on how the educational bonuses panned out to see if they were worth it or not.....with current tempos, you are gonna get activated to somewhere

No, tax exclusions are capped at the E-9 rate, which works for junior officers at O-3 normally, but even we are paid higher than that amount on professional accession. And furthermore, unless you have specific pull, there is very little chance that you would be assigned to the combat zone areas and the chances are practically zero for a reserve or National Guard derived pharmacy officer. Service career officers in pharmacy not only have to volunteer, but have to be selected from volunteers which is a bit more involved than what is written. Don't accept the "free money" without thinking through the idea of activation, because that is part of the package deal.

No, tax exclusions are capped at the E-9 rate, which works for junior officers at O-3 normally, but even we are paid higher than that amount on professional accession. And furthermore, unless you have specific pull, there is very little chance that you would be assigned to the combat zone areas and the chances are practically zero for a reserve or National Guard derived pharmacy officer. Service career officers in pharmacy not only have to volunteer, but have to be selected from volunteers which is a bit more involved than what is written. Don't accept the "free money" without thinking through the idea of activation, because that is part of the package deal.
OK sorry I was looking at Veterinary Corps which is quite different than the role of a pharmacist. I wish you the best of luck and can emphathise with the burden of student loan repayment.

OK sorry I was looking at Veterinary Corps which is quite different than the role of a pharmacist. I wish you the best of luck and can emphathise with the burden of student loan repayment.