Looking for advice - 21AA/ 23TS/ 23 PAT but 15 RC - 3.97 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdentalkid

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 3.98
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.98
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
1st time: 20 AA/ 21 TS/ 21 Biology/ 21 Orgo/ 20 Gen Chem/ 20 PAT/ 18 QR/ 20 RC
2nd time: 21 AA/ 23 TS/ 23 Biology/ 24 Orgo/ 24 Gen Chem/ 23 PAT/ 18 QR/ 15 RC
I know... I'm worrying about my decrease RC score...

State of Residence: (recently) Permanent Resident / CA resident (however, English is not my first language)

Major: Chemistry (Concentration in Biochemistry)
Minor: No
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 150
Volunteering Experience: 250
Employment: Resident Hall front desk - 7 hours/week + Research Poll Caller - 5 hours/week

Research: Yes, near 200 hours - summer research and thesis research. No publication but do have 1 presentation.
Other Extracurriculars: Service Learning Coordinator of Honors Association - 2019 to present
Vice President of Pre-dental Club - 2020 to present

Asian female
Undergrad in SC - will graduate with Honors Degree

School list:
I will apply to all CA dental school + UNC + MUSC + Augusta

Please any advice or suggestion about my school list? I recently retake my DAT and really disappointed about my RC. I'm also wondering if they would look at the most recent DAT score or the highest attempt of each section... Thank you in advance and good luck to you all either!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since English isn't your first language, schools will look at your RC more, especially if your name is foreign (this is what I learned from talking to numerous non-American dentists), but hopefully, they'll see that you were able to get a 20 before. I believe that most schools look at the most recent DAT score but they're able to see all your past scores. Reach out to specific schools to double check.

Just because of the RC, I would recommend adding other schools like Pitt, Maryland, etc. I would also look at which schools have a hard cut of 16/17 DAT score for every topic. Otherwise, all your other experiences look great. You'll definitely get in somewhere as long as your personal statement is good and your interview skills are great.

What made you want to retake your DAT? your first DAT scores and the second are very similar and the first one wasn't bad either.

Since English isn't your first language, schools will look at your RC more, especially if your name is foreign (this is what I learned from talking to numerous non-American dentists), but hopefully, they'll see that you were able to get a 20 before. I believe that most schools look at the most recent DAT score but they're able to see all your past scores. Reach out to specific schools to double check.

Just because of the RC, I would recommend adding other schools like Pitt, Maryland, etc. I would also look at which schools have a hard cut of 16/17 DAT score for every topic. Otherwise, all your other experiences look great. You'll definitely get in somewhere as long as your personal statement is good and your interview skills are great.

What made you want to retake your DAT? your first DAT scores and the second are very similar and the first one wasn't bad either.
Thank you for your comment. I did better in practice tests so I was expected to have a higher DAT score when I first took it. However, after the first time, I was disappointed a bit so I wanted to try once again. But yea, ended up with a lower RC which makes me stress out more lol... Anw, my name does appear as foreign, and yes thank you, I would add more school as you suggested!!