Looking for advice - Crossroads after medical school dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
get a room, you two.
No Bucket. You two get a room. I'll watch.

Though I tend to like my guys on the prettier side.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think Brain Bucket? Shall we indulge the lady's wishes? I just hope you're pretty, cuz I'm not. Got a humped back and a shriveled right arm w/ polydactyly. Also, pitch or catch, it's up to you. Just know that I have hemorrhoids, multiple fistulas, and lots of smegma.

Ha.

And who said what about dental school being so much easier than med school? >< As far as vets go...I love puppies and animals but I dont think I would ever be able to put someones pet down. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think Brain Bucket? Shall we indulge the lady's wishes? I just hope you're pretty, cuz I'm not. Got a humped back and a shriveled right arm w/ polydactyly. Also, pitch or catch, it's up to you. Just know that I have hemorrhoids, multiple fistulas, and lots of smegma.

Don't worry, I'm pretty enough for the both of us. The show, however, won't be cheap. I didn't think I'd ever read smegma outside of a textbook, so kudos for that.

Ha.

And who said what about dental school being so much easier than med school? >< As far as vets go...I love puppies and animals but I dont think I would ever be able to put someones pet down. :(

It's about time you faced it. Just like I'll admit that higher maths / physics / chem is way harder than medicine.

OP: your only real shot at medicine is gaining re-admittance at the school you were dismissed from. You haven't mentioned your Step score, other than that you passed. With a low step score as an IMG, you're just asking for heartache.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not mocking anyone. I'm merely stating what is. The only person who said that being a nurse is like scrubbing toilets was you. I'm not interested in getting into a "doctors versus nurse" debate, since it doesn't have anything to do with his question or problem. If he disagrees with me and feels that he would want to pursue nursing, why would I care? He can be a nurse if he wants and it wouldn't affect me in the least. I only told him my position.

No you're not stating what is, you're stating a very pretentious opinion, of which the majority of educated people would disagree and with good merit. One could certainly construe a description of a nurse as a person who requires "relatively little thinking" to do their mere "labor job" as mocking them, since they not only require a 4 year university degree, but the very essence of their job description mandates thinking on an intellectual level. And you're right, voicing your illogical disdain for nurses doesn't have anything to do with the OPs question or problem, so not sure why you felt it necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
No you're not stating what is, you're stating a very pretentious opinion, of which the majority of educated people would disagree and with good merit. One could certainly construe a description of a nurse as a person who requires "relatively little thinking" to do their mere "labor job" as mocking them, since they not only require a 4 year university degree, but the very essence of their job description mandates thinking on an intellectual level. And you're right, voicing your illogical disdain for nurses doesn't have anything to do with the OPs question or problem, so not sure why you felt it necessary.

Sorry, but a nurse doesn't "require" a four year university degree. Either you don't know that or you're just trying to mislead people. Secondly, the essence of nursing doesn't mandate thinking on an intellectual level. People like act like nurses are sitting around diagnosing problems and leading the team on decision-making, which they don't. If you want to lead the team, just go to med school.

Sorry, but a nurse doesn't "require" a four year university degree. Either you don't know that or you're just trying to mislead people.

In New York an RN requires a full 4 year BSN degree, this is also the case in Canada. with a full BSN also being optional in other states but not required as of yet. So it is dependent on locale whether it is required or not. Either way, your broad classification of nursing as a mindless labor job is encompassing of those with BSN degrees as well, so trying to bring up this red herring argument in an appeal to semantics is irrelevant to the original point. Why must you reinforce the egotistical surgeon stereotype?

Secondly, the essence of nursing doesn't mandate thinking on an intellectual level. People like act like nurses are sitting around diagnosing problems and leading the team on decision-making, which they don't. If you want to lead the team, just go to med school.

You're right, I'm sure a university degree is required so hospitals can be confident that their nurses are fully qualified to change bedding and mop up feces. I'm not sure who these "people" are you're referring to, but I've never encountered them. But just because a nurse doesn't diagnose, does not mean they have a mindless drone job.

In New York an RN requires a full 4 year BSN degree, this is also the case in Canada. with a full BSN also being optional in other states but not required as of yet. So it is dependent on locale whether it is required or not. Either way, your broad classification of nursing as a mindless labor job is encompassing of those with BSN degrees as well, so trying to bring up this red herring argument in an appeal to semantics is irrelevant to the original point. Why must you reinforce the egotistical surgeon stereotype?

You're right, I'm sure a university degree is required so hospitals can be confident that their nurses are fully qualified to change bedding and mop up feces. I'm not sure who these "people" are you're referring to, but I've never encountered them. But just because a nurse doesn't diagnose, does not mean they have a mindless drone job.

Actually, nowadays with credential inflation, this argument doesn't really hold much water anymore. The correlation between amount of education and how much of it is applied to the job is getting further and further apart. Much of the time, employers hire more educated ppl because they can, because the labor market has a whole glut of them, not because the job actually requires it. And the higher education industry is only too happy to comply and stick people beneath the wheel in order to turn a profit.

In other words, you're wrong, but thanks for your input.

I live in a very large jurisdiction where RNs require a BSN degree. So no I am not wrong. Where you live it's probably different, so you're not wrong in saying that it isn't required either. That's fine, you do realize that different jurisdictions can have different policies right? Or are you as ethnocentric as you are egotistical?

I live in a very large jurisdiction where RNs require a BSN degree. So no I am not wrong. Where you live it's probably different, so you're not wrong in saying that it isn't required either. That's fine, you do realize that different jurisdictions can have different policies right? Or are you as ethnocentric as you are egotistical?

I don't think you know what the word "ethnocentric" means.

I don't think you know what the word "ethnocentric" means.

Yet ironically, if you actually knew what it meant you wouldn't have posted this. Isn't the attending looking for his appendectomy monkey? You should probably get back to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yet ironically, if you actually knew what it meant you wouldn't have posted this. Isn't the attending looking for his appendectomy monkey? You should probably get back to work.

I don't think you know what "ironically" means, either.

I made a very simple statement. Without his current baggage -- which I listed -- as a "fresh" student, I believe that it is more difficult to get into medical school than vet or dental school. With his problems, I have no idea how possible getting into those schools, either, would be.
I would argue that getting into vet school is more competitive than medical school, actually.

I would argue that getting into vet school is more competitive than medical school, actually.

Sigh. This is neither here nor there, and totally irrelevant to the thread.

But it's not. It's really, really not. Every time a pre-vet or vet student says this, they lose their credibility instantly. And an angel loses its wings.

Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by and adding your 2 cents to my thread!

Now that I've had a chance to catch up with all the recent posts, "wow!" is what comes to mind. While I recognize that people are entitled to their own opinions, I would appreciate if we could bring the commentary back to the point of the thread.

On a side note, we can put the options of vet or dental school out of the picture since I can assure you those are not even a blip on my radar screen. Any other ideas not already mentioned?

Here is my original post for reference to those of you just joining us:

Hello my fellow SDNers!

This is probably one of the most challenging things I have ever had to write, but here it goes....

Summary: I entered a U.S. medical school years ago only to be academically dismissed in my 4th year. I admit that I was not the strongest med student, but the main issue centered around some shelf examinations during my 3rd year. I was always able to clear these specific exams when I was allowed to take them again. I even passed Step 1 on the 1st attempt. I tried everything I could to get help while pressing forward, but I did not realize a LOA might have been the best move until too late and more damage was done to my grades. I was denied an appeal to my dismissal and am now at a crossroads with regards to where I go next.

My conflict: I have worked so hard for this and still feel drawn to medicine despite this experience. Although I have had academic difficulty, my clinical feedback was always positive and highlighted my professionalism. Therefore, I feel it would be a waste for me not to pursue a career in medicine (my interest was always in primary care). However, I am realistic and recognize this situation has made things complicated. I am between going into another part of healthcare as a mid-level provider or chasing after my degree at a Caribbean medical school. I am concerned about not being able to procure a residency position (assuming I get in and am successful in the Caribbean) given my story, especially considering the shortage of U.S. residency positions predicted in the years to come. Of course, I have a significant loan burden from all of this and must be careful about my next moves as I also am a non-traditional student who has yet to make certain life decisions (ie having a family, buying a home, etc).

I would love to hear from people who either have gone through this personally or know someone who has to find out how they handled their situation - either via PM or a reply to this post. For anyone who can not relate to my story, I would greatly appreciate your discretion regarding your feedback as anything other than constructive criticism is not only hurtful but also unhelpful. Thanks!

I'm so sorry for situation, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to deal with all of this. While I don't have a similar story to share, there are a couple things that came to mind.
First of all, are you sure your dismissal was handled properly? It seems weird that you would be allowed to retake the shelf exams, and be allowed to continue into 4th year before being dismissed, or that there was no way for you to repeat third year. If you haven't already, it may be worth meeting with a lawyer to review the school policies and be sure that there was not something missing there that could allow you to return and finish.
Secondly, I feel that carribean school is simply not a realistic option. You would be entering with a history that would complicate an already difficult application process for residency, and, as you have said, you are not the most competitive student as is which lowers your chances even more. If you are serious about completing your degree, then I would consult with your old UG premed advisor and see if there are any lower-tier DO or MD programs that may be interested in taking you in.
In the end though, if you cannot reverse the dismissal I would lean towards shifting into a PA or NP program. The debt load from starting med school all over again, with your old loans accruing interest would likely be enormous, not to mention, that it will mean another 4 years of missed attending salary.

Why not work as a nurse with your BSN and then apply for NP lateR?

Jesus, is nothing sacred! There should be a death on old threads!

I want the luxury of being able to say absolutely outlandish things and not worry that they'll stay in the annals of history.

^See.

Jesus, is nothing sacred! There should be a death on old threads!

I want the luxury of being able to say absolutely outlandish things and not worry that they'll stay in the annals of history.

FWIW this one's only a year old. Wait until you're a resident (assuming you're still posting here) and see stuff from your pre-clinical days.

Status
Not open for further replies.