SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Looking for advice from anyone who scored 225 or above

Discussion in 'Step I' started by mohaven, May 4, 2007.

1. mohaven

mohaven 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Hi guys. Got one month to go and took my practice test at the prometric center and got 108 out of 150 questions correct (never attempted before). That came out to 72% correct. On USMLE World am scoring around 55 - 65% on random blocks and 65 - 75% on non random blocks containing topics that I have studied relatively thoroughly.

These are the books I am gonna use to brush off the subject going into this last month.

Anatomy - Kaplan 2002
    Physiology - BRS
    Biochemistry - Kaplan 2002
    Pathology - Goljan and BRS
    Pharmacology - Kaplan 2002
    Microbiology - Kaplan 2002
    Behavioral Science - Kaplan 2002
    First Aid
    Goljan High Yield
    Flashcards - Pharmacology, Microbiology, Pathology, Biochemistry

I know it seems like a lot but I think I am going into this month with a pretty strong base. Precisely what I was curious about is whether Kaplan 2002 is good enough for the subject I want to use it for. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才 Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2003
    GMT+9
    I don't think there's any problem using 2002 books for any subject except Pharm.

And FA is completely sufficient for that.

4. mohaven

mohaven 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2007
    I am going to take your advice jeebus and use the 2002 with the exception of pharm (for which I will use FA). Thanks again.

5. nasdr

nasdr Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2003
    if you're going through Goljan's RR book, i think you can skip his HY notes. or so i hear. also, there may be too much repetition btw RR and BRS for path. maybe drop the BRS, unless you don't understand something from Goljan's text.

6. mohaven

mohaven 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2007
    I actuallly was using the lecture notes that go with his lectures not RR Goljan. That is why I want to supplement it with BRS Patho to get some extra topics in. Thanks for the advice but I think I am staying away from RR Goljan with just a month left.