Bedpan Commando

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I would love if some of the residents and attendings on here can chime in with their suggestion of a specialty I might be interested in based on the following:

• Autonomy
  • Prefer outpatient work environment
  • Control over work environment (ie hiring of personnel, setup of workspace, ...)
  • Surgery & Clinic - (ie minor surgery/procedures; use of fine motor/dexterity stuff, not Ex Laps, ...)
  • Narrow field of expertise (as opposed to breadth of knowledge)
  • Sufficient time to evaluate patients/problems
  • Some routine (I enjoy mastering tasks)
  • Interested in Technology
  • Patient education / preventive medicine

Buzz Me

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Why not wait until the end of your MSIII year (this June?) and see what rotations you enjoyed first?

Apr 17, 2009
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would love if some of the residents and attendings on here can chime in with their suggestion of a specialty I might be interested in based on the following:

• Autonomy
  • Prefer outpatient work environment
  • Control over work environment (ie hiring of personnel, setup of workspace, ...)
  • Surgery & Clinic - (ie minor surgery/procedures; use of fine motor/dexterity stuff, not Ex Laps, ...)
  • Narrow field of expertise (as opposed to breadth of knowledge)
  • Sufficient time to evaluate patients/problems
  • Some routine (I enjoy mastering tasks)
  • Interested in Technology
  • Patient education / preventive medicine
Based on what you are describing, I would say Urology. Before I decided on Radiation Oncology, Urology was a field that I strongly considered (yes, the mature people in the crowd are making penis jokes already, LOL!).

All of the urologists that I have met are incredibly happy with their specialty choice and enjoy almost all of the aspects that you have outlined above. Best of luck.

Bedpan Commando

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Why not wait until the end of your MSIII year (this June?) and see what rotations you enjoyed first?
Mainly because the school is saying we need to have already made our mind up by the end of March. Lots of pressure in scheduling of rotations.

Also, I'm not sure if I will get a chance to see the subspecialties in action by the end of 3rd year.

filter07

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Sounds like Ophthalmology, Urology, or perhaps Vascular Surgery (Endovascular and Veins)

Laryngophed

Supratentorial problems
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2007
TDC
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
All of the urologists that I have met are incredibly happy with their specialty choice and enjoy almost all of the aspects that you have outlined above. Best of luck.
I'm guessing they are happy because they get to make penis jokes all day.:laugh:

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Some medical specialties might fit this.
Endocrinology gets to do some minor procedures (thyroid biopsies,etc.). They do a lot of outpatient work, and they can have their own offices (hire/fire own office staff, etc.).

Nephrology does some procedures too (mostly placing special central venous lines for dialysis), does patient education, does a lot of outpatient stuff.

Nuclear medicine does some biopsies and stuff. They have good hours. Most are hospital employees I think, so not a lot of autonomy.

Dermatology, if you have crazy stats, also sounds like it might fit.

Interventional radiology does hand-on stuff, but I don't think most have a lot of autonomy. I think most are hospital-employed?

Bedpan Commando

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Great suggestions!

However, they remind me that I need to look elsewhere d/t my Step 1 score, lol. Thanks anyways.