DO Looking for advice: reapplying vs. other career path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rja_5

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Here is a summary of my stats:
GPA:
-Undergrad sgpa: 2.82
-Graduate level postbacc program sgpa: 3.08 (all As and Bs, no +s or -s awarded in the program)
-Overall sgpa: 2.89 Overall cgpa: 3.11
-Currently retaking some pre-req courses online that I received poor grades in during undergrad.

MCAT: 507 (124/128/128/127)

VA resident

Clinical Experience (non volunteer):
1,400+ hrs (medical technician, scribing, research technician, etc)

Clinical Experience (volunteer): 300+ hrs leading trips to set up free medical clinics in underserved areas
Clinical Shadowing: 130 hrs (5 of which were with a DO who provided a LOR)

Research: 500+ hrs cancer biology lab, published co-author, best poster award

Non Clinical Volunteer: 200 hrs (youth development program, peer teaching assistant)

Non Clinical Employment: 700 hrs tutoring community college students

Extracurriculars: many hours of leadership in various clubs

Misc: Qualified Spanish medical interpreter (50 hr course)

Applied early to 20 DO schools. 1 II early in September and was put on the waitlist. Denied/put on holds for 8 so far.

My question: I went into this cycle with appropriately low expectations but wanted to give it a shot. I know that it’s still early and maybe I will hear back from other schools. However, I want to begin making a game plan for either reapplying DO or applying to PA or NP programs. I’m assuming either way will involve taking more classes, however there are quite a few pre reqs for PA/NP I would need to take in order to apply that don’t overlap with med school pre reqs. There are only so many classes I can take at a time as I work full time. I’m concerned that the one II I received was a fluke and that it would be unwise to reapply next cycle, especially because of the crazy low gpa. My gpa is not even competitive for a lot of PA or NP programs, so at this point I feel like either path I choose (taking more upper level science for med schools vs taking pre reqs for PA/NP programs) carries significant risk. I know it is ultimately up to me to decide, but I would really appreciate any constructive feedback/advice for improvement/overall thoughts.

*disclaimer: I have read, and thoroughly appreciate, Goro’s advice for reinvention*

Members don't see this ad.

I think your self assessment is correct. The low GPAs in undergrad and grad school are holding you back from DO (and probably PA programs as well, which I have heard are fairly competitive).

If you don’t have success this cycle, assuming you targeted the newer DO schools, I don’t think a straight reapplication will produce a stronger yield. To be a good reapplicant, you have to fix the GPA. Given that you’ve already completed a postbac with a B-average, I don’t think it’s worth continuing attempting to buff that GPA (you don’t want to fall for the dunk cost fallacy).

I think RN -> NP is still an option. I don’t think you can directly enter an NP program without regular RN experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools did you apply to ?

I applied to:
AT Still
Campbell
CCOM
Des Moines
KCU
LECOM
LECOM-B
LMU
Marian
MSU
NYIT
NOVA
PCOM (all 3)
UNE
Rowan
Touro
KYCOM
WVSOM

I think your self assessment is correct. The low GPAs in undergrad and grad school are holding you back from DO (and probably PA programs as well, which I have heard are fairly competitive).

If you don’t have success this cycle, assuming you targeted the newer DO schools, I don’t think a straight reapplication will produce a stronger yield. To be a good reapplicant, you have to fix the GPA. Given that you’ve already completed a postbac with a B-average, I don’t think it’s worth continuing attempting to buff that GPA (you don’t want to fall for the dunk cost fallacy).

I think RN -> NP is still an option. I don’t think you can directly enter an NP program without regular RN experience.
Thank you, I appreciate the input. There are some direct entry NP programs that cram in everything in four years, however their GPA requirements are similar to PA programs (and some people also say in order to be a good NP you really need the experience as an RN first). Do you have any advice on other careers that might be worth looking into? One of the most stressful parts of this process has been trying to figure out where to go next when I have been so determined to make medicine my career.

Thank you, I appreciate the input. There are some direct entry NP programs that cram in everything in four years, however their GPA requirements are similar to PA programs (and some people also say in order to be a good NP you really need the experience as an RN first). Do you have any advice on other careers that might be worth looking into? One of the most stressful parts of this process has been trying to figure out where to go next when I have been so determined to make medicine my career.

That stress is totally understandable. You’re going to find a way to make it all work out - it just might not be exactly as you had imagined it.

I think RN/BSN/MSN/NP/CRNA is a totally fine and viable option. There is a lot of room in nursing for administrative leadership, some clinical autonomy (state dependent) and unbeatable career flexibility.

Paramedic is also an option. This is also state dependent, but ‘standing orders’ give you some limited autonomy to treat the conditions you see without a physician’s consult. This is less flexible than the RN route (and, state dependent, you can work as a paramedic with an RN).

Health administration is potentially an option as well, although I don’t know much about it.

Out of curiosity, could you share a link to that direct entry NP program?

That stress is totally understandable. You’re going to find a way to make it all work out - it just might not be exactly as you had imagined it.

I think RN/BSN/MSN/NP/CRNA is a totally fine and viable option. There is a lot of room in nursing for administrative leadership, some clinical autonomy (state dependent) and unbeatable career flexibility.

Paramedic is also an option. This is also state dependent, but ‘standing orders’ give you some limited autonomy to treat the conditions you see without a physician’s consult. This is less flexible than the RN route (and, state dependent, you can work as a paramedic with an RN).

Health administration is potentially an option as well, although I don’t know much about it.

Out of curiosity, could you share a link to that direct entry NP program?
Sure! This is the program one of my friends just finished and she had a very positive experience. I believe there are a few similar programs out there but you really have to dig to find them online. PreSpecialty | MSN | School of Nursing | Vanderbilt University

Your MCAT and EC's are competitive for all DO schools. It is your sGPA of 2.89 that may prevent an acceptance. Take enough undergraduate level science courses at a local college (community college is fine) to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . At that point if you need to reapply include all these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
Sam Houston State
Any new schools that open (there may be several).

Your MCAT and EC's are competitive for all DO schools. It is your sGPA of 2.89 that may prevent an acceptance. Take enough undergraduate level science courses at a local college (community college is fine) to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . At that point if you need to reapply include all these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
Sam Houston State
Any new schools that open (there may be several).
Thank you so much for the advice and the updated school list, I really appreciate it!

I agree with all the above comments, I just wanted to add that for the 1 II you received, I would not consider it a fluke. Medical schools have limited interview spots, so they specifically choose interview applicants that in their perspective (the school's adcoms) are potentially prepared for medical school based on everything in their application. Medical schools do not give "charity/throw away interviews" if you will, if you were given an interview its because the school saw potential for you to be a physician and potentially succeed at their school. (Just a little perspective I figured I'd throw in here).

I agree with the above perspectives surrounding your sGPA being quite low and that is potentially the biggest issue with your application.

Reactions: 1 users
OP here (had to switch accounts awhile ago). I just wanted to send a quick update a few years later that I took @Faha’s advice, took some science classes to raise my sgpa to a 3.01 and this year I was accepted into Noorda, accepted pending a seat opening to ICOM, and waitlisted at LECOM. Obviously not the safest/most prestigious schools, but it’s something! I really appreciate everyone’s advice that helped me get to this point.

Reactions: 2 users