Looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical Bear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a long team lurker and now member! I am psyched to be starting college in a few months and begin my medical journey. I was wondering how challenging a worload consisting of Biology with lab, Chemistry with lab, Sociology, and College Writing 1 would be. Additionally, if getting an EMT license would be a good idea. I'm open to any and all advice. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This seems like the typical first semester course load to me. Some people offset bio (bio+lab 1 second semester freshman, bio+lab 2 first semester sophomore) or take them with orgo 1 and 2 during your sophomore year. Personally, I would take bio during sophomore year with organic chem, unless you're in a rush to take physics BEFORE junior year (taking physics sophomore year wit organic chem). Other than that you're good.

Just one thing to add though, I would not take physics with organic chem if you've never taken it before. If you have, then you'll be fine I think.

-cringes-

"How challenging is this for me" is a worthless question that none of us are able to answer. We don't know you, your college, your professors, your high school, much less your study habits.

Be an EMT if you want to be and like what they do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On the EMT cert - don't do it just so you can put it on your application. Do it because of an interest in what EMTs do. I got my cert a couple years ago and thoroughly enjoy the work opportunities it has given.

Not doing things in any capacity just to put them on your application is solid advice, actually.

For the classes - I agree, we can't tell you much about what you're able to handle. Do you think you can do it? Does your performance in high school indicate that you can work under a large or small class load? This will be more of a personal decision for you. From what I can see it seems like a fairly standard first semester, maybe minus one of the labs.

@UNMedGa would you recommend EMT over CNA? I have a serious interest in getting a taste of the healthcare field no matter the amount. I feel like EMT would be more exciting but would love your input.

@UNMedGa would you recommend EMT over CNA? I have a serious interest in getting a taste of the healthcare field no matter the amount. I feel like EMT would be more exciting but would love your input.
Legions of premeds before you have done fine without any additional certifications. Why are you so invested in getting one? It won't help your app. There are better ways to "get a taste of the health care field."

If you are interested in patient care, it's a very good cert. I'm glad I got mine. As was mentioned, you don't need it to have a good app, but if you get it and get a lot of miles out of it, it will certainly help shape your perspectives about patient care. CNA is good patient care experience too, but I don't feel like it would give as much autonomy as the EMT cert does.

If you want to be a doctor, and don't want to be an EMT or CNA, then focus on being a doctor. Getting an EMT or CNA cert and then not using them won't help your application. Volunteering a few hours a week at the local community garden for 4 years would probably help you a lot more. Focus on your grades, work on your leadership skills, do some volunteering, get exposure to patients and doctors.

Reactions: 1 user
CNAs do b!tch work. Not worth your time, kid.

Sounds like a reasonable courseload that you'd be expected to do well in to be a successful premed.
Study and focus on your priorities :)