Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pelph16

Reaction score
*Similar post in other forums

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the length post but I come to you all looking for advice for applying to medical school. To provide some background on myself. I am a 33 year old chiropractor who has been in practice for 8 years. I own my own practice and provide evidence-based treatment (conditions treated are limited to mechanical musculoskeletal injuries with heavy emphasis on rehab). While I have been successful in practice, I feel a change is necessary for a number of reasons:

1. If providing evidence-based care, the scope of practice for chiropractors is extremely small which can make work a bit boring and promote complacency.
2. With no concrete governing body (AMA, etc.) I feel that standards of care are left to the decision of the provider which creates ethical problems. This also restricts the evolution of the profession with lack of funding for continuous research.
3. I never subscribed to the overall philosophy of chiropractic. While it's an extremely effective way to treat mechanical injuries in addition to rehabilitation, claims of treating visceral or systemic conditions are pseudoscience. I never offer treatment for any said condition but I often get pigeonholed into that group because I am a chiropractor.
4. The last and biggest reason, I want to do more for people. The most exciting part of my day is when I get to communicate with other health professionals (primary care, surgeons, physical therapists) about management of a patient's condition. I can only do so much as a chiropractor and when I can't help someone, I wish I had the training to do more.

This is why I am pursuing going back to school which is where I could definitely use your advice.

I am currently completing my B.S. in Biology. I was accepted into chiropractic school early (with completion of pre-med requirements). I am not sure if this is still the standard for chiropractic schools but this was the case in 2009. I was not a stellar student in undergrad (3.0 GPA cumulative, 3.0 science). Since I have come back to complete my upper level science courses I have maintained a GPA of 3.7. My intent is to re-take my pre-med courses online (Doane University) to provide myself a refresher course for the MCAT and to prove I am not the same student I was 15 years ago. I will likely apply to D.O. programs because I think I don't have much of a chance with traditional schools.

Am I delusional for wanting to pursue this and do you all think I am going about this in the right way? I can take hard truths if needed, I just know that I am meant to do more than what I am doing professionally and I know Medicine would provide me an opportunity to help people and challenge myself with evolving research and treatment methods for the rest of my career. Thank you all very much for any advice/guidance you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the length post but I come to you all looking for advice for applying to medical school. To provide some background on myself. I am a 33 year old chiropractor who has been in practice for 8 years. I own my own practice and provide evidence-based treatment (conditions treated are limited to mechanical musculoskeletal injuries with heavy emphasis on rehab). While I have been successful in practice, I feel a change is necessary for a number of reasons:

1. If providing evidence-based care, the scope of practice for chiropractors is extremely small which can make work a bit boring and promote complacency.
2. With no concrete governing body (AMA, etc.) I feel that standards of care are left to the decision of the provider which creates ethical problems. This also restricts the evolution of the profession with lack of funding for continuous research.
3. I never subscribed to the overall philosophy of chiropractic. While it's an extremely effective way to treat mechanical injuries in addition to rehabilitation, claims of treating visceral or systemic conditions are pseudoscience. I never offer treatment for any said condition but I often get pigeonholed into that group because I am a chiropractor.
4. The last and biggest reason, I want to do more for people. The most exciting part of my day is when I get to communicate with other health professionals (primary care, surgeons, physical therapists) about management of a patient's condition. I can only do so much as a chiropractor and when I can't help someone, I wish I had the training to do more.

This is why I am pursuing going back to school which is where I could definitely use your advice.

I am currently completing my B.S. in Biology. I was accepted into chiropractic school early (with completion of pre-med requirements). I am not sure if this is still the standard for chiropractic schools but this was the case in 2009. I was not a stellar student in undergrad (3.0 GPA cumulative, 3.0 science). Since I have come back to complete my upper level science courses I have maintained a GPA of 3.7. My intent is to re-take my pre-med courses online (Doane University) to provide myself a refresher course for the MCAT and to prove I am not the same student I was 15 years ago. I will likely apply to D.O. programs because I think I don't have much of a chance with traditional schools.

Am I delusional for wanting to pursue this and do you all think I am going about this in the right way? I can take hard truths if needed, I just know that I am meant to do more than what I am doing professionally and I know Medicine would provide me an opportunity to help people and challenge myself with evolving research and treatment methods for the rest of my career. Thank you all very much for any advice/guidance you can provide!

Pre-Covid, medical schools were very much against giving credit for prerequisites taken online. It seems that they temporarily suspended that policy during Covid but I suspect they'll go back to it once Covid is reined in.

Have you considered retaking your science prerequisites via either a formal or, more likely given your full time working status, informal postbaccalaureate from a traditional college or university?

You'll need to do more than retake premed classes prior to taking the MCAT. It'd be wise, given your situation, to take a good prep course over a sustained period of time as well as getting yourself a good set of self-study resources.

Pre-Covid, medical schools were very much against giving credit for prerequisites taken online. It seems that they temporarily suspended that policy during Covid but I suspect they'll go back to it once Covid is reined in.

Have you considered retaking your science prerequisites via either a formal or, more likely given your full time working status, informal postbaccalaureate from a traditional college or university?

You'll need to do more than retake premed classes prior to taking the MCAT. It'd be wise, given your situation, to take a good prep course over a sustained period of time as well as getting yourself a good set of self-study resources.

Thanks for replying. I would prefer to retake them in person at a traditional university however it is impossible to do currently with my work schedule. From a small amount of research that I have performed myself, Doane University is an accredited college with transfer credits accepted by my state school where I am currently finishing my B.S. in Biology. The problem I am running into is that even if I re-take those credits, I won't get my grades replaced so it seems that I am forever punished by being an immature teenager 15 years ago. I want to show the admission boards the quality of student and professional I am now which is why I wanted to take classes conducive to my schedule just to prove to them that I can achieve the high quality grades even if my cumulative undergrad GPA is weighted down from earlier (lack there of) efforts. I want my application to help answer some doubts that the admissions board may have.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about steps needed to prep for the MCAT. I have already invested in the most recent Kaplan MCAT prep series and will take a prep course when I feel I have a stronger grip on the material. I know this is not a short process and may be a year or so before I am ready to apply, but this is all new to me so guidance is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro is the expert! See Goro's guide to reinventing yourself.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for replying. I would prefer to retake them in person at a traditional university however it is impossible to do currently with my work schedule. From a small amount of research that I have performed myself, Doane University is an accredited college with transfer credits accepted by my state school where I am currently finishing my B.S. in Biology. The problem I am running into is that even if I re-take those credits, I won't get my grades replaced so it seems that I am forever punished by being an immature teenager 15 years ago. I want to show the admission boards the quality of student and professional I am now which is why I wanted to take classes conducive to my schedule just to prove to them that I can achieve the high quality grades even if my cumulative undergrad GPA is weighted down from earlier (lack there of) efforts. I want my application to help answer some doubts that the admissions board may have.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about steps needed to prep for the MCAT. I have already invested in the most recent Kaplan MCAT prep series and will take a prep course when I feel I have a stronger grip on the material. I know this is not a short process and may be a year or so before I am ready to apply, but this is all new to me so guidance is greatly appreciated.

If you go to the MCAT subforum on Student Doctor Network, you'll see that many have low opinions of Kaplan's MCAT preparatory materials.

Make sure to get a copy of the 300 page psychology/sociology outline that's available on MCAT Reddit. It summarizes every Khan Academy video on the psychology/sociology section.

Berkeley Review has a good reputation for MCAT materials.

Make sure to thoroughly study all AMCAS generated MCAT question banks and full length exams.

Many on here like UWorld's online question bank.

Doing lots and lots of problems really help.

If you go to the MCAT subforum on Student Doctor Network, you'll see that many have low opinions of Kaplan's MCAT preparatory materials.

Make sure to get a copy of the 300 page psychology/sociology outline that's available on MCAT Reddit. It summarizes every Khan Academy video on the psychology/sociology section.

Berkeley Review has a good reputation for MCAT materials.

Make sure to thoroughly study all AMCAS generated MCAT question banks and full length exams.

Many on here like UWorld's online question bank.

Doing lots and lots of problems really help.
This is great thank you very much. What is your opinion about my game plan for boosting my academic record? Any better options?

This is great thank you very much. What is your opinion about my game plan for boosting my academic record? Any better options?

Having a very high GPA, especially science GPA, in your postbaccalaureate coursework is the way to go. Just make sure the format of the courses is acceptable to your targets schools and make sure you have more than one target school.

There are certain MD schools that like applicants who have reinvented themselves. This is probably discussed in the thread entitled Goro's Guide to Reinvention.

Having a very high GPA, especially science GPA, in your postbaccalaureate coursework is the way to go. Just make sure the format of the courses is acceptable to your targets schools and make sure you have more than one target school.

There are certain MD schools that like applicants who have reinvented themselves. This is probably discussed in the thread entitled Goro's Guide to Reinvention.
Should I include MD schools in my application list or should I stick with Osteopathic programs?

Should I include MD schools in my application list or should I stick with Osteopathic programs?

It depends on what your composite undergraduate GPA (inclusive of postbacc) and MCAT turn out to be. It's impossible to say right now. A low enough MCAT would make it hard to get into DO, as well as MCAT.

Also note that podiatry is also a medically related profession that also screens based on MCAT and GPA but has lower cutoffs than DO or MD.

It depends on what your composite undergraduate GPA (inclusive of postbacc) and MCAT turn out to be. It's impossible to say right now. A low enough MCAT would make it hard to get into DO, as well as MCAT.

Also note that podiatry is also a medically related profession that also screens based on MCAT and GPA but has lower cutoffs than DO or MD.

Gotcha, thanks for the input. I work with a few Podiatrists and as much as I respect the profession, I don't think it would be right for me. I'll give it my all and hopefully do well enough. If anything this whole journey will be a learning process for me which I can always hang on to. Thanks again for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user

Hi everyone,

Read this: