looking for advice...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tijames, Jun 5, 2008.

1. tijames

tijames Member

Okay, so I just finished my freshman year as a biochemistry major. First semester was not great (3.5), i got two B+'s in chem and bio. Second semester, a lot of stuff was going on in my personal life and long story short, I got a C- in bio. I bombed the final, otherwise I would have had a B-. Granted all but one person in the class got a C+ or lower. I also got a B- in gen chem II (bombed the last lab report and one test). So, i'm not dumb, however I now have a 3.2 or 3.3 gpa. My science gpa is awful.

This summer, I'm going to be volunteering in an ER, and next semester should be okay.

Anyhow, am I most likely going to have to attend a masters program prior to medical school? What else can I do? Any advice on anything regarding my situation would be great, i'm feeling screwed. Of course, I am not trying to make excuses and I fully accept all responsibility.

#1 tijames, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't stress out yet. You've only had your freshman year (~30 credits) so far. Your GPA isn't that bad, and if you do well the rest of your undergrad years, you can easily end up with a GPA of 3.6 or higher. Just make sure to really focus next year and prove to adcoms (and yourself) that you can handle it.

Good luck! :luck:

4. Katatonic

Pre-Medical
    Just take a deep breath and try to do better next year. Being able to explain your C's (if they even come up in an interview, which isn't likely if you only have 1 or 2) is more important. I wouldn't jump the gun and consider post-bacc already, you're only a freshman. Just get those EC's started and keep the grades up next year.

5. 194342

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    You're only a freshman.... Do you like your major? I've heard P-chem is a lot like gen chem. The chem classes only get harder and harder and It's tough to do if you don't like what you're doing.

Also I liked this attitude: " I am not trying to make excuses and I fully accept all responsibility." The first step to doing better is realizing that you earn your grades and it seems like you're on the right track. I didn't get the grades I wanted my freshman year and from that point on I just recalled those angry feelings of disappointment and it helps me get motivated to do my best.

One of the biggest problems is that most high schools do a piss poor job teaching time management. I'd look at buying some organization books (Julie Morgenstern is a good author). There is plenty of time to study and party/do whatever that fulfills you, just schedule out your life.

Good luck.

6. nugget12

Pre-Medical
    you have been on here since 2005? not possible for you to be nothing but a troll.

7. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician

Attending Physician
    Post history reveals otherwise.

OP, you'll be fine. The nice thing about a biochemistry major (since I am one) is that you will have plenty of upper level sciences that will show you can handle tough material (and its interesting, too, except for pchem). I wouldn't even think of a master's program yet. I was in your position at the end of freshman year and am heading into the application season right now, and I did not have to take time off.

8. paradocs we are

paradocs we are In love with you

Medical Student
    I disagree.

OP, if you really want to get into medical school, you will need to do whatever it takes to get in! Don't relax now thinking that your upper-level courses will save you. Work your hardest now and in the future. If your grades still don't shape up, consider a post-bacc. I don't think a masters will help with your overall GPA.