looking for advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postictal Raiden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am registered for the June 16 MCAT and I haven't started to prepare yet. I am currently taking three classes this semster, volunteer ~6 hours/week, and planning on doing some shadowing.

I bought the BR physics, EK prepareation package, 101 verbal (old), and EK 1001 books. I am planning to dedicate 4-5 hours of studying on 3 days/week (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) until the end of this semester, May 22nd. Then, I am planning to do an extensive study schedule for the following 20 days, followed by couple days of relaxation before the test day.

1. What do you guys think of my study plan?

2. Should I purchase more prep books? which ones?

3. Since I am planning on doing one verbal test of the EK 101 on every study day, I will eventually run out of passages long before the test day. Once that happens, should I start over and redo the passages again? or should I get new verbal material?

4. I am planning on doing all of the AAMC FL tests. Is it wise for me to save them until the very end of my preperation? or should I do one every once in a while?

Thank you much,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am registered for the June 16 MCAT and I haven't started to prepare yet. I am currently taking three classes this semster, volunteer ~6 hours/week, and planning on doing some shadowing.

I bought the BR physics, EK prepareation package, 101 verbal (old), and EK 1001 books. I am planning to dedicate 4-5 hours of studying on 3 days/week (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) until the end of this semester, May 22nd. Then, I am planning to do an extensive study schedule for the following 20 days, followed by couple days of relaxation before the test day.

1. What do you guys think of my study plan?

2. Should I purchase more prep books? which ones?

3. Since I am planning on doing one verbal test of the EK 101 on every study day, I will eventually run out of passages long before the test day. Once that happens, should I start over and redo the passages again? or should I get new verbal material?

4. I am planning on doing all of the AAMC FL tests. Is it wise for me to save them until the very end of my preperation? or should I do one every once in a while?

Thank you much,

I would either drop everything and study for MCAT full time or take it in Sept. Unless you are very smart and just awesome overall, studying for MCAT is a very very arduous and lengthy process.

you could get tprh verbal for more passages, but honestly, I don't think 20 days of studying +12 hours/week is enough. I could be wrong, but it would be best if you went in fully prepared and not have to risk a retake.

Thank you for your responses.

I really don't want to postpone my MCAT date any further. I really want to get into any school this coming cycle (I am only applying DO's if that makes any difference). To optimize my chances, since my overall GPA is slightly lower than the average, I need to apply early (No later than July).

I am not worried about the science sections of the MCAT, I know that I will do well. However, I am terrified of the verbal section. I did the first of the two warm-up passages in the EK 101, and I answered only 2/7 correctly!

I will purchase the verbal tpr book today. Should I start with it or with EK 101? Which one is a better illustration of the real MCAT? Because I'd like to leave that one for last.

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses.

I really don't want to postpone my MCAT date any further. I really want to get into any school this coming cycle (I am only applying DO's if that makes any difference). To optimize my chances, since my overall GPA is slightly lower than the average, I need to apply early (No later than July).

I am not worried about the science sections of the MCAT, I know that I will do well. However, I am terrified of the verbal section. I did the first of the two warm-up passages in the EK 101, and I answered only 2/7 correctly!

I will purchase the verbal tpr book today. Should I start with it or with EK 101? Which one is a better illustration of the real MCAT? Because I'd like to leave that one for last.

Thank you,

Verbal is one of those subjects that limits improvement. This is not to say that improvement is impossible because it definitely can be done. Get the EK book imo.

If that's the case, here's what I suggest:
Plan out your entire study schedule. Make something very detailed like sn2ed's guide. Out line how many chapter, how may passages, which ones etc for each day until the exam. EK is good for brief overview, but if you need more detail, get the rest of the BR books. Do all of the aamc's toward the end (like after april). You could do 1 earlier to get an idea of your score. If you have time, also do the br fl's. Look at all the advice on sdn (like bloodysurgeon's verbal guide) and try to apply them in your studying. If you need verbal passages, you could rotate 101, tprh and br with 3 passages/day (from sn2ed's guide). I think sn2ed's also ranks the books., but I you could just combine whatever you have. If you're really set on doing this, you can do it.