Looking for any advice pretty please....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crowe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, so I've decided I want to commit to being a doctor so I'm going to stop lurking and ask for some advice from you awesome lot.

I kind of gave up after junior year, but I found out I really don't want to do anything else with my life.

I'm currently a 4th year biochem major. I will be staying back an extra semester to finish some classes.I have messed up a few times over the course of my undergrad career and I want to know what you guys think I can do to make that not matter as much and increase my chances.

cGPA-3.72 (A+ is a 4 not 4.2 like some schools)
sGPA-3.5 ish (almost 3.6) I factored in original grades and retakes. I counted Cr as a C

LORs
1 good one from PI, 1 ok one from a professor who I got and A from, still trying to get a good third. I guess I should ask for more than 3?
I can't get a comittee letter since I was focused on grad schools and didn't get evaluations. (gradschools I was interested in don't take committee letters)

ECs
-90Hrs Volunteer work in ER (sophmore year)
-1.5 yrs lab work in organic chem lab (might continue for another semester)
-2 semesters secretary of student organization (didnt do much, just kept records and helped planned a few events so I kind of don't want to mention it)

soon to be ECs
-starting EMT classes this summer (hopefully I can work until I get in)
-starting back volunteer work after finals (stopped during the 1.5yrs of research)

I am planning to take the MCAT in Janurary, or would June be better for preparation purposes? Should I just stay back an entire year and take bio courses to increase my sGPA? (I find these easy to study for now)
I'm also a studio art major but I assume that means nothing other than a partial topic for SOP.

Here are classes that are problematic-

Cs in genchem2 and calc1 in freshman year
Credit (kind of like pass/fail) in first semester junior year in phys1.
W this semester in phys2 (I had to babysit for a relative and missed many classes)

Heres what I did to try and fix it-

All my other sciences are mainly As with a few A- and one B+ in bio2. I retook genchem2 and got A+ (summer after fresh yr)and got A+ in Calc2. I retook phys1 and got A.

Alssso, DO is not an option for me (I have nothing against it. DOs are awesome). I show an upward trend and my last 2 semesters were 3.8 and 4.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok guys, so I've decided I want to commit to being a doctor so I'm going to stop lurking and ask for some advice from you awesome lot. :)

I kind of gave up after junior year, but I found out I really don't want to do anything else with my life.

I'm currently a 4th year biochem major. I will be staying back an extra semester to finish some classes.I have messed up a few times over the course of my undergrad career and I want to know what you guys think I can do to make that not matter as much and increase my chances.

cGPA-3.72 (A+ is a 4 not 4.2 like some schools)
sGPA-3.5 ish (almost 3.6) I factored in original grades and retakes. I counted Cr as a C

LORs
1 good one from PI, 1 ok one from a professor who I got and A from, still trying to get a good third. I guess I should ask for more than 3?
I can't get a comittee letter since I was focused on grad schools and didn't get evaluations. (gradschools I was interested in don't take committee letters)

ECs
-90Hrs Volunteer work in ER (sophmore year)
-1.5 yrs lab work in organic chem lab (might continue for another semester)
-2 semesters secretary of student organization (didnt do much, just kept records and helped planned a few events so I kind of don't want to mention it)

soon to be ECs
-starting EMT classes this summer (hopefully I can work until I get in)
-starting back volunteer work after finals (stopped during the 1.5yrs of research)

I am planning to take the MCAT in Janurary, or would June be better for preparation purposes? Should I just stay back an entire year and take bio courses to increase my sGPA? (I find these easy to study for now)
I'm also a studio art major but I assume that means nothing other than a partial topic for SOP.

Here are classes that are problematic-

Cs in genchem2 and calc1 in freshman year
Credit (kind of like pass/fail) in first semester junior year in phys1.
W this semester in phys2 (I had to babysit for a relative and missed many classes)

Heres what I did to try and fix it-

All my other sciences are mainly As with a few A- and one B+ in bio2. I retook genchem2 and got A+ (summer after fresh yr)and got A+ in Calc2. I retook phys1 and got A.

Alssso, DO is not an option for me (I have nothing against it. DOs are awesome). I show an upward trend and my last 2 semesters were 3.8 and 4.
Your GPAs are still high with so many retake...Without an mcat score, it's almost impossible to gauge your chances. But if you can manage to get a 32+ mcat, you will have a decent chance at MD.