Looking for Applicants Interested in Combined Dentist-Scientist Training (Current D.D.S./Ph.D. Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shwayne

Science.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me know if you have any questions about combined D.D.S. (D.M.D.)/Ph.D. training. I went through the interview process a while ago but was accepted to dual programs at UCSF, Michigan, UIC, Minnesota, UT San Antonio and Pitt. I was also accepted to a straight dental program at BU.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you decide to go through the DDS/PhD route? Would it be possible for someone to change to the DDS/PhD route while in dental school? I've heard of stories of people who did that (the PI at the lab I work at right now) but the cases I've heard of are from a while ago so not sure if it's still relevant.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have plans to specialize after dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you decide to go through the DDS/PhD route? Would it be possible for someone to change to the DDS/PhD route while in dental school? I've heard of stories of people who did that (the PI at the lab I work at right now) but the cases I've heard of are from a while ago so not sure if it's still relevant.
I was initially interested in dentistry but realized I had a passion for science while conducting research during undergrad. I feel that dentistry can be an incredibly rewarding yet monotonous profession grounded in the longitudinal management of complex oral diseases. So I decided that I'm more interested in understanding the etiology of disease rather than routinely treating it.

With regard to your second question, I think it depends on the school. 3+4 programs (i.e. 3 years of PhD+4 years of DDS) like Michigan's you wouldn't be able to do this. However, at UConn or HSDM (2+4+2 [pre-clinical/didactics DMD+4 years PhD+clinical DMD], same structure as MD/PhD), for example, you could explore the idea of pursuing PhD training since the first 2 years of the program are DMD training. It's something you'd need to make a strong case for, however, since typically those programs try to recruit folks who come in interested in pursuing combined training. I'd be happy to talk more about it with you, if interested.

Do you have plans to specialize after dental school?
Honestly it depends on how burnt out I am.. if I'm still up for more training then I'd consider combined ortho (maybe peds)+postdoctoral training.

I know at least one person at my school who started out in the DDS/PhD program but dropped the PhD after D1 year. So yes you can switch from the PhD to the regular pathway, not the other way around.

I know at least one person at my school who started out in the DDS/PhD program but dropped the PhD after D1 year. So yes you can switch from the PhD to the regular pathway, not the other way around.
Did this person still have their D1 paid for + stipend? Or did they have to payback that money? Or was this program not funded?

Since the PhD portion at University of Michigan is only 3 years, do you feel like it's rushed? How does it compare to a 2+4+2 program?
So we're not conferred our Ph.D. after 3 years, we receive D.D.S./Ph.D. degrees concurrently once we finished all requirements of each degree (typically between 7-7.5 years). Therefore, the expectation is that we still conduct research while in dental school, to a lesser extent, of course. Choosing the right mentor/project is critical since you have limited dedicated time to conducting research.

You can do either way, it really depends on the program. 2+4+2 programs allow you the opportunity to apply into the PhD program, if during D1 you express a strong interest in research. Dropping the PhD during your first year would mean that you would be granted admission into your current D.D.S. class or deferment to the next entering class, which are both highly unlikely situations.

That is, unless, the D.D.S./Ph.D. program you're referring to has you begin with dental school, which to my knowledge, no programs currently offer (3 Ph.D. + 4 D.D.S. or 2 D.M.D. + 4 Ph.D. + 2 D.M.D. are standard these days). Michigan used to be flipped (4 D.D.S. +3 Ph.D.) but that switched after someone dropped the Ph.D. after finishing dental school (basically a free ride to dental school).

Did this person still have their D1 paid for + stipend? Or did they have to payback that money? Or was this program not funded?
Refer to my reply to @AONLINE for your question. I believe that some schools make you sign something explicitly confirming that you will pay the school for the cost of the training you've complete thus far, should you decide to drop. We don't have that policy at Michigan, to the best of my knowledge.

*bump* anyone applying DDS (DMD)/PhD out there? Michigan 3rd year DDS/PhD student here