Position Wanted Looking for Dermatology position - PGY1/PGY2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanukDoc

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a Canadian medical school graduate currently practicing as a fully licensed family physician in Canada.

I continue to be fascinated and incredibly motivated in pursuing accredited training in Dermatology.

I have completed PGY1 and PGY2 training here in Canada.

I'm not very familiar with the US training system. The way I understand things, I would likely be starting in a PGY2 position as a 1st year resident in Dermatology since I've completed previous postgraduate training.

I'm therefore searching for a position in Dermatology as a PGY2. However, I'm definitely open to entering as a PGY1 if I'm required to complete another preliminary/intern year in order to pursue training.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you contacted the programs in Canada and US?

Hi Ben,

In Canada, we are restricted by funding, and positions in dermatology are only open for applicants in the 1st iteration. As someone who has already matched in the 1st iteration, I am only eligible to apply for the 2nd iteration, which never has open dermatology positions. Funding comes from the government and is very scarce.

I haven't contacted any programs in the US directly. I've only been reviewing some of the program descriptions and requirements. Do you mean contacting the program directors? Should I be directly contacting each program to inquire about open positions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dermatology is one of the most competitive residencies, with about 1% of slots taken by IMGs.
There is very, very rarely an open PG2 position.
Have you read this: Residency Applicants for IMGs