Looking for direction - independent humanistic-existential studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nahsil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" and I'm curious where I should go next. I've read some Jung and Yalom, and I was thinking maybe Erich Fromm's "Escape from Freedom" next.

I assume I should read Carl Rogers/Maslow at some point.

Thoughts? Maybe I should pick up some philosophical texts, like Heidegger/Husserl?

As far as existentialism goes I've read some Nietzsche, Sartre, and Camus.

Members don't see this ad.

Albert Camus, though he rejected the label on himself.

I think that a great complimentary text to Man's Search for Meaning is The Will to Meaning by Frankl. It's less biographical and more philosopical/theory driven. Highly recommended.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.amazon.com/Existence-New-Dimension-Psychiatry-Psychology/dp/0671203142

May, Angel, and Ellenberger's "Existence" - this text brought existential thinking into american psychiatry and psychology. Crucial.

I agree with ela. Anything by May (Love and Will, Man's Search for Himself, The Meaning of Anxiety, etc.), and Yalom (Existential Psychotherapy is a classic).

As for philosophy, you might consider reading William Barett's "Irrational Man", which for many years was the standard text for university level existentialism classes. It's a fantastic and diverse text. Also, Kaufmann's "Existentialism from Dostoevsky to Sartre" is something of a classic, too.
As for specific authors rather than overviews, there are too many texts to recommend. I'd read Barrett and Kaufmann first, and then from there read whatever piques your interest.

best of luck on your newfound existential journey! I started off with a major interest in existential philosophy in undergrad, and am now pursuing graduate studies in clinical psych. A lot of these ideas are antithetical to the cognitive and behavioural paradigm that reigns supreme these days, but their insights are innumerable and incredibly important.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

I'm looking to attend an existential-phenomenological program, hesh. Looking at Duquesne and University of Dallas (for an MA) and a couple others.

Looks like you might be competing with me to get into Duquesne :)

I just wrote a paper on existential-phenomenological psychotherapy. I reviewed about 20 or 30 papers when writing it. Heidegger's "Being and Time" was referenced with such high frequency that I chose to stop by the library and read it. My research would suggest that you should understand this book.

Also, I'm partial to Kierkegaard, but I think for any understanding of existential thought, you should start at the forefathers, which would certainly be him. Also, you can read "An Irrational Man" to get a broad overview of existentialist thinkers.

I'm moving on to Frankl. So basically, we get to switch books!

Carl Rogers is a bit tangential to existential paradigms, but you did mention humanism, and he's the king there. Try Rogers' "On Becoming a Person." He references Kiekergaard in one of his articles! "To be that which one truly is"

I have very little hope for Duquesne, because I scored low on the GRE quant (despite a high verbal) and I have zero research experience (switched to a double major in English/Psych at the last minute, never had the opportunity). Unless you count literary criticism and some work on the crossroads between evolutionary psychology and religion. I mean, that's probably fairly close to "qualitative research." But alas.

I'm gonna apply anyway and write a hell of a personal statement, but I'm looking at Masters programs because I won't be the least bit surprised if I don't make it in. Maybe after I get my MA :)

I have Kierkegaard's Sickness Unto Death, but the thing is I can't get down with theism. I understand it; I'm very interested in psychology of religion as well as considering myself a religious pluralist, but theism tends to offend my more logical sensibilities.

I've read Nietzsche who's another grandfather (and obviously not a theist :laugh:). I suppose I'll get around to Kierkegaard someday, regardless of my hesitation.

Just finished Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" and I'm curious where I should go next. I've read some Jung and Yalom, and I was thinking maybe Erich Fromm's "Escape from Freedom" next.

I assume I should read Carl Rogers/Maslow at some point.

Thoughts? Maybe I should pick up some philosophical texts, like Heidegger/Husserl?

As far as existentialism goes I've read some Nietzsche, Sartre, and Camus.

Going a bit out on a limb, here:

Ernest Becker -- Escape from evil.

Guy Debord -- The society of the spectacle.

Jean Paul Sartre -- any of his biographies, but especially Baudelaire

Thomas Flynn -- Sartre and Marxist existentialism: The test case of collective responsibility

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this post. You guys sound like people I would wanna be in the same book club with.

Grad School for Existential/Humanistic Psychology, for a non psychologist?

Hello!
I am peruvian, 24 years old, and I have a bachellor degree in Business. After a year of psychotherapy, and after discovering the line of thought of Frankl, Fromm, Yalom, etc, I have realized I want to be a Humanistic/Existential Counselor. I want to persue a Grad Program in this branch of Psychology. It is really hard to find programs that allow non psychologists like me. What would you recommend?

Thank you!

Maria