Looking for encouragement...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rivka95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is my second year applying and I don't want to throw in the towel! Looking for some encouragement and advice.

Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.8, Science GPA 3.7
MCAT: 496...498. :( #testanxiety
LORs: Committee letter, 1 MD, 1 DO
Research: 2 years in undergrad, 1 summer at a hospital, published.
ECs- Student Senate, RA, TA, 2000+ hours of volunteering, Chief Scribe for over a year now.

With my second MCAT, I ran out of time during a section but didn't think I had scored THAT bad so I submitted my DO app before seeing my score...I'm hoping I at least get an interview. I'm retaking it Aug 3 with the hope I can increase to at least a 503. I'm also starting a SMP in the fall. What are my chances with the SMP and the low MCAT? I'm hopeful that a DO committee could look past the low MCAT and see the high GPA, volunteering, and SMP...

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to receive interviews as some DO schools if you apply to many and I suggest all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
ICOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews if you apply to all of them.

Why are you doing a SMP? Your grades arent the problem and it’s really risky to jump into a SMP if you don’t need it. And you don’t. Don’t retake the MCAT until you get your test anxiety under control. Another bad score will be horrible for your application. Go to your college’s learning center and get help for test anxiety. It is fixable. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you doing a SMP? Your grades arent the problem and it’s really risky to jump into a SMP if you don’t need it. And you don’t. Don’t retake the MCAT until you get your test anxiety under control. Another bad score will be horrible for your application. Go to your college’s learning center and get help for test anxiety. It is fixable. Good luck.

Hmmm. My career counselor actually recommended this SMP! Thanks though!

Second the you don’t need an SMP. Your gpa doesnt need to be salvaged, your MCAT does.

You do not need an SMP! Think logically about this. Are your grades the problem? NO, they are not = NO SMP

The best thing you could do is work on your test anxiety and improve your MCAT. Instead of spending the 40K it will most likely cost to do an SMP (not considering the cost of living), you can spend a lot less improving your test taking strategies. Maybe even taking an MCAT course with Kaplan or some other company.

Reactions: 1 user