Looking For Fully Funded PHD Clinical Psychology Programs In The Northeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDaoDoughnut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am applying to PHD programs this upcoming month. I have about 10 programs on my list. Many of them offer partial funding/tuition remission; some offer full funding.

My schools are:
1. Duquesne University-PHD
2. Rutgers University- PHD
3. CUNY: City College- PHD
4. Adelphi University-PHD
5. Widener University- PSYD
6. Long Island University- PHD
7. NOVA Southeastern-PHD
8. St. John's University-PHD
9. Penn State-PHD

Does anyone know of any PHD programs in the northeast that are fully funded and accept students with my credentials?

GRE:
Verbal-160
Quant-154
Writing-4.0

GPA:
Overall-3.82
Psych-3.9

Research:
1 paper (pending publication)
2 research experiments (non-published)

Other:
Lab manager
President of psychology club

Thank you
-P

Members don't see this ad.

First question: why the east coast? It is more important to find a mentor with similar research interests than limiting yourself geographically.

Reactions: 1 user
First question: why the east coast? It is more important to find a mentor with similar research interests than limiting yourself geographically.

I chose east coast because I don't want to travel to far from my family (my parents are elderly and I would like to be around the next few years). The schools I listed have mentors who's research interests match my own. This is especially true for Duquesne, Adelphi, City College, and LIU.

I would like to know if there are schools I might have missed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose east coast because I don't want to travel to far from my family (my parents are elderly and I would like to be around the next few years). The schools I listed have mentors who's research interests match my own. This is especially true for Duquesne, Adelphi, City College, and LIU.

I would like to know if there are schools I might have missed.

UConn is fully funded

Are you looking for places that lean psychodynamic?
I would prefer psychodynamic focus (as most of my schools focus on psychodynamic), but I am going to apply to other research oriented programs just to keep my options open.

Sharing research interests is *the most important factor* in where you should apply. There are tons of funded programs on the east coast, but your credentials are not going to be as helpful on here than discussing your research interests. In doing that, people can lead you toward other folks in funded east coast programs who study those things. (Or, you know, do it the long way as most of us did: use Google Scholar or PsycInfo to find people doing research on the topics you are interested in, and figure out where they work).

Thank you! I share a research interest with just one of the professors at UConn; it might be worth applying. What do you think?

I would. It is a great school and in the NE.

Reactions: 1 user
Sharing research interests is *the most important factor* in where you should apply. There are tons of funded programs on the east coast, but your credentials are not going to be as helpful on here than discussing your research interests. In doing that, people can lead you toward other folks in funded east coast programs who study those things. (Or, you know, do it the long way as most of us did: use Google Scholar or PsycInfo to find people doing research on the topics you are interested in, and figure out where they work).

Thank you for your post. I already identified the people/programs which I share a research interest. They are the 9 schools I have listed above. Aside from those schools, I just wanted to know some funded programs to investigate to see if they somewhat match my interests. I would like to pursue psychodynamic training (with research focused on clinical practice: quantitative or qualitative)

UConn was a good recommendation.

Thank you all!

In addition to this, read faculty bios on websites. They often outright list research interests and sometimes if they'll be taking students.