looking for gen info on MCAT, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hagbard

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a respiratory therapist and licensed massage therapist that has decided to go to med school via the DO route. i am very interested in osteopathic manipulation.
some back ground- i'm 31 and entering undergrad this (fall) semester to complete some science courses in the process of getting a BA or BS. i have 3.5 yrs of college credit, so it is the science background in preparation for the MCAT that i am mainly looking for. i would like to take the MCAT in 2002. how much organic will i need to be confident on the test. i am a very good test taker and have taken an easy home care job in order to have plenty of time to study and minimal stress. will one semester be enough? what about physics? i could definitely take the second semester of both in the year between the MCAT and beginning school to be prepared for med school classes.
thank you in advance to all who can offer some advice.
donald

Members don't see this ad.

Nice to see another RRT advancing their health care career. I would suggest taking all the pre-reqs before attempting the MCAT. I myself have written it twice, and at this time am waiting on a few DO schools for interviews. I haven't recieved any acceptances and am on the waitlist at LECOM. Take all the pre-reqs first and study your but off so you won't have to be in my shoes, because I am contimplating taking it again in August because April is to soon. Oh yeah definatley take the april test because as I am learing the August puts your apps way behind. GOOD LUCK!!!
S.P.O. RRT

thanks! that will probably put me off for another year but i have read in other posts that it is better to do it right than to try and get things over quickly. an addendum to my original question: my work schedule prohibits/makes it nearly impossible for me to take the labs with the class. will it hinder me if i don't take the labs at all?, as far as admissions.
donald, RRT
ps i know a couple of RRT's gone doc and they are generally damn good. respiratory is a big hole in most doctor's training it seems. one told me they spent only one class in his whole time in medical school on blood gas interepretation and from a lot of docs out there it shows.

Labs are required by most if not all med schools as far as admissions go. You'll need to take them at some point.

If you have any other questions you can email me privatley @ [email protected].

Glad to know there's more like me out there.