Looking for general advice, whether or not to apply, school list, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mostlymedical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I’m looking for some advice about my application, since I’ve been back and forth between if I should try next cycle, or just apply to see what happens. As a FL resident my MCAT score is nowhere near the average for most of my state MD schools, but I think I have a few solid EC’s and am capable of producing a great PS. Just looking for some clarity and advice here if it’s possible.

1. cGPA: 3.76, AMCAS sGPA: 3.7
  2. MCAT: 504 (126/125/125/128); easily the most disappointing part of my apppication- I was testing between 509-513 and just did pretty bad on test day.
  3. FL resident
  4. Graduated from FSU, biology major, chem minor
  5. 6 months (500hrs) working full-time as an MA at an urgent care center (will continue throughout gap years); 100hr MA internship at an OB/GYN office; licensed CNA but never worked as one.
  6. 3 years (countless hours) working on microbiology honors thesis w/ tuberculosis and e. Coli. published on my school’s database (protein crystallization stuff). Also worked in a genetics lab for a summer.
  7. Shadowed an ER doc (DO) for a few shifts, probably around 20 hours. I also work alongside PA’s, MD’s, and DO’s every day closely observing them.
  8. 3 awesome years of volunteering as a big sister for big brothers, big sisters as a mentor to a “little sister”. Also worked part time as a crisis counselor ~100 hours, trying to get back into it during my gap years.
  9. Working as a hostess and doing odd jobs during college for extra money. Worked many, many hours as a high school chemistry tutor.
  10. Graduated with honors, magna cum laude.

May be missing one or two things but for the most part these are my application components. My MCAT score is my main concern for applying this cycle and a huge bummer for me. I am not sure if I should try to go DO, or retake and postpone till next cycle. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some insight because I’m pretty torn, and disappointed about it. I am not even sure about where to start with my possible school list, since my MCAT is so much lower than all the Florida schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A MCAT retake where you score 508+ would increase your chances significantly. You are competitive for most DO schools and could receive an interview at Florida State. However, if your MCAT was 512 you would be competitive for all your Florida schools and some OOS MD schools.