Looking for help/chances, really appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nice99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, I'm worried about my chances for medical school because of mistakes I've made. I'd love any advice you all can give me with my plan of action. About me:

Currently a senior at a state school
cGPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.4
Volunteering: Homeless shelter (5o hours) Hospice (50+ hours but ongoing)
Shadowing: 60 hours
No research
No clinical volunteering
Non-URM, not disadvantaged in any way

Made C's in: Calc 2, Gen chem 1, Genetics, B- in Organic 1
Two semesters of 2.75 (First semester, one semester of sophomore year)
Since then I've had above a 3.6 gpa every semester with 3.83 GPA being most recent semester.

I have not taken the MCAT yet because I feel that my chances are very low at the moment with my GPA outside of maybe osteopathic schools.

Plan
-Get clinical volunteering to gain more clinical exposure and supplement my hospice volunteering
-Take MCAT next June and rock it
-Stay extra year of undergrad to take upper level science classes and do well + year of research

I'd prefer to go to an allopathic school. I understand that DO schools are good too and am open to it if my chances at allopathic are slim. With my plan of action is this feasible? If not, what else can I be doing? What could I do after the extra year of undergrad?

Lot of information here but really I'd appreciate any help you all could give me. Thank you!!
Sorry if I left anything important out or sound ignorant - first post on SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are salvageable for MD, but you need to do really well on the MCAT. I would aim for 516+. I think you're right to hold off on it -- taking it with a shaky foundation in the sciences is a bad idea. That said, your more recent coursework shows that you're likely capable of doing well. Strengthen your genetics and orgo background, and reserve around 3 months of dedicated study time for the MCAT. I personally recommend TPR books, but you can succeed with any of the major brands of prep materials. Also, it would be good to amp up those volunteer hours. You definitely need >100, and >500 would be ideal.

If you keep your upward trend going, rock the MCAT, and continue volunteering, I don't see any reason why you won't have success with an MD program. Come back when you have your final stats for help with a school list -- there's lots of great advice here! Good luck! :)

Your stats are salvageable for MD, but you need to do really well on the MCAT. I would aim for 516+. I think you're right to hold off on it -- taking it with a shaky foundation in the sciences is a bad idea. That said, your more recent coursework shows that you're likely capable of doing well. Strengthen your genetics and orgo background, and reserve around 3 months of dedicated study time for the MCAT. I personally recommend TPR books, but you can succeed with any of the major brands of prep materials. Also, it would be good to amp up those volunteer hours. You definitely need >100, and >500 would be ideal.

If you keep your upward trend going, rock the MCAT, and continue volunteering, I don't see any reason why you won't have success with an MD program. Come back when you have your final stats for help with a school list -- there's lots of great advice here! Good luck! :)

I appreciate the detailed response. Good advice, thank you!