Looking for help with school list 3.76 GPA MCAT 517 131,129,129/128

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supsurfer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Florida resident
Attended top 50 private university-Double major Marine Science/Biochemistry/Molecular Biology minor in Geology
3.76 GPA with upward trend. Does not include two A's in Organic taken in summer at another university. Had severe case of infectious mono which affected academic performance freshman year. GPA 4.0 last semester. Graduated with departmental honors.
MCAT 517 131/129/129/128
Research-Two semesters and one summer of genetic research on marine life at my university-many hundreds of hours. Partner left at a critical time, and I was forced to write the thesis myself.
Currently working full time in research lab run by Chairman of Biology Dept at my University. Project is investigating on/off switches in embryonic development.
Shadowing-little over 100 hours-internal medicine, emergency room, Dermatology
Volunteering-30 hours in food pantry. Working on setting up more clinical and non clinical volunteering. I was not in pre med track, so I have had to set all this up on my own.
Work history- worked two summers for a construction company-demolition work
Schools I'm interested in
All Florida schools- most interested in Miller - University Miami
Boston University (legacy) don't know if that helps
Tufts
Brown
UVa (legacy)
Dartmouth
U Mass
Tulane
UCSD
UCLA
USC
UC Irvine
I decided I wanted to go to Med School after I graduated, so I'm behind in shadowing and volunteering. I didn't join any organizations to puff up my resume' like some people I know did.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I get the feeling there are some very knowledgable people on this site. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Schools such as UMass and UC Irvine accept very few non residents with no connection to the state. Your best chances are your Florida schools. You do need 200 hours of clinical volunteering. You could add these OOS schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Cincinnati

Thank you. How realistic are schools like BU, Tufts, Brown, UCSD if volunteering is fulfilled and two more years are spent in research lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida resident
Attended top 50 private university-Double major Marine Science/Biochemistry/Molecular Biology minor in Geology
3.76 GPA with upward trend. Does not include two A's in Organic taken in summer at another university. Had severe case of infectious mono which affected academic performance freshman year. GPA 4.0 last semester. Graduated with departmental honors.
MCAT 517 131/129/129/128
Research-Two semesters and one summer of genetic research on marine life at my university-many hundreds of hours. Partner left at a critical time, and I was forced to write the thesis myself.
Currently working full time in research lab run by Chairman of Biology Dept at my University. Project is investigating on/off switches in embryonic development.
Shadowing-little over 100 hours-internal medicine, emergency room, Dermatology
Volunteering-30 hours in food pantry. Working on setting up more clinical and non clinical volunteering. I was not in pre med track, so I have had to set all this up on my own.
Work history- worked two summers for a construction company-demolition work
Schools I'm interested in
All Florida schools- most interested in Miller - University Miami
Boston University (legacy) don't know if that helps
Tufts
Brown
UVa (legacy)
Dartmouth
U Mass
Tulane
UCSD
UCLA
USC
UC Irvine
I decided I wanted to go to Med School after I graduated, so I'm behind in shadowing and volunteering. I didn't join any organizations to puff up my resume' like some people I know did.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I get the feeling there are some very knowledgable people on this site. Thanks in advance.
Obviously, your app is not viable right now with the limited volunteering. You can stop research now.

Once you get the required ECs in, I suggest:

Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
ALL Fl schools

Thanks very much.
Update
Committed to 200 hours clinical volunteering at MiamiCancer Institute
Published paper on Treatments For Acute Myeloid Leukemia in Oncology Target Journal
Working full time in genetic sequencing research lab University of Miami
Applying this cycle