MD Looking for honest, constructive feedback on my stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readwriteeat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I haven't taken the MCAT yet (taking it in April), but I was hoping for some constructive feedback on my stats.

Race: Asian American (Indian)
Majors: Neurobiology and English
cGPA: 3.87
sGPA: 3.74

Shadowing: 65 hours shadowing a variety of specialties (I might shadow an oncologist before applying which would add another ~30 hours)
Clinical volunteering: 120 hours at an inpatient hospice unit
Non-clinical volunteering: 225 hours tutoring inner city kids in math, 50 hours writing picture books for kids with chronic illnesses
Research: 475 hours in an honors research program (have been awarded a $5000 grant and presented at conferences, working on a poster to be presented at a conference this spring), 320 hours of biochemistry research at USUHS, 200 hours in a neurobiology lab, may get a publication but not by the time I apply
Leadership: TA for Biostatistics class, editor of multilingual board of literary magazine, peer mentor, campus "ambassador" for prospective students, VP of Asian American literature club
Other ECs: Part of a two year creative writing residency program on campus, working on a thesis on how literature shapes the way we think about medicine as part of the English honors program
Awards: Partial tuition scholarship, senatorial scholarship, presented my essay at a conference on Medieval Europe
*The hours I've listed are projected estimates for what I'll have by the time I apply in June.

My biggest concern is clinical experience. I've gained a lot of meaningful experience (you see a lot in hospice care), but I think my number of hours won't reflect this. Would it be worth it to wait a year and gain more clinical experience before applying? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you asked about your stats even though you don't have an MCAT yet, and you know your GPA is fine, and then listed all your EC's and said clinical volunteering is your biggest concern?

Just as a tip: people on this forum are straightforward and sometimes vicious. It's important that you make your posts coherent and relevant. For example, your post has nothing to do with your stats (cause you don't have an MCAT and your GPA is fine) even though that was your first question.

Reactions: 1 user
Your app looks great.

Hi everyone! I haven't taken the MCAT yet (taking it in April), but I was hoping for some constructive feedback on my stats.

Race: Asian American (Indian)
Majors: Neurobiology and English
cGPA: 3.87
sGPA: 3.74

Shadowing: 65 hours shadowing a variety of specialties (I might shadow an oncologist before applying which would add another ~30 hours)
Clinical volunteering: 120 hours at an inpatient hospice unit
Non-clinical volunteering: 225 hours tutoring inner city kids in math, 50 hours writing picture books for kids with chronic illnesses
Research: 475 hours in an honors research program (have been awarded a $5000 grant and presented at conferences, working on a poster to be presented at a conference this spring), 320 hours of biochemistry research at USUHS, 200 hours in a neurobiology lab, may get a publication but not by the time I apply
Leadership: TA for Biostatistics class, editor of multilingual board of literary magazine, peer mentor, campus "ambassador" for prospective students, VP of Asian American literature club
Other ECs: Part of a two year creative writing residency program on campus, working on a thesis on how literature shapes the way we think about medicine as part of the English honors program
Awards: Partial tuition scholarship, senatorial scholarship, presented my essay at a conference on Medieval Europe
*The hours I've listed are projected estimates for what I'll have by the time I apply in June.

My biggest concern is clinical experience. I've gained a lot of meaningful experience (you see a lot in hospice care), but I think my number of hours won't reflect this. Would it be worth it to wait a year and gain more clinical experience before applying? Thanks in advance!