Looking for info about med school admission for foreign students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goozly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for info about med school admission for foreign students in the US

Hi , i am about to complete my undergrad and plannig to apply to med school for the fall of 07. from what i can see so far some med schools don't let internationls students apply and have limisted quotas for internatilas in general. if you are an international student studying medicine in the US or if you are knowledgable in this field, please help me some tips and direction about admission and loans.
thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also an international student applying for Fall '07 admission. I pretty much went to www.aamc.org and went through their whole list of accredited schools to check which ones admitted foreign nationals or not. States like New Jersey, Texas and Florida don't accept internationals. Certain schools that do require an upfront payment of 4 years worth of tuition e.g. Washington University in St.Louis,Johns Hopkins, Cornell. So you basically have to do alot of research.

Hi , thakns for replying , so basically i found a list of all the schools in the country and thier policy regarding international students, tell me if you need it. i guess that the next obsitcale for me is to figure out how i am gong to pay everything on advance , do you know any loans that are open to non citizens or schools that are more inlined to financially help non citizens?
thanks , goozy

Members don't see this ad :)
goozly said:
Hi , thakns for replying , so basically i found a list of all the schools in the country and thier policy regarding international students, tell me if you need it. i guess that the next obsitcale for me is to figure out how i am gong to pay everything on advance , do you know any loans that are open to non citizens or schools that are more inlined to financially help non citizens?
thanks , goozy
Hello,
Can I please have that list too?? And lemme know if you found out something about the loans and other financial aid for non-citizens, plzzzzzzzzz. thanks!

goozly said:
Hi , thanks for replying , so basically i found a list of all the schools in the country and thier policy regarding international students, tell me if you need it. i guess that the next obsitcale for me is to figure out how i am gong to pay everything on advance , do you know any loans that are open to non citizens or schools that are more inlined to financially help non citizens?
thanks , goozy
Hello,
Can I please have that list too?? And lemme know if you found out something about the loans and other financial aid for non-citizens, plzzzzzzzzz. thanks!

As a current medical student, I would say that it is pretty difficult. What I did was to have a friend of mine co-sign a signature loan with Salliemae.....this was the only option I had after looking around. You can always get married, obtain your permeanent residency in 3 months and apply for financial aid....Good luck

cad_15 said:
As a current medical student, I would say that it is pretty difficult. What I did was to have a friend of mine co-sign a signature loan with Salliemae.....this was the only option I had after looking around. You can always get married, obtain your permeanent residency in 3 months and apply for financial aid....Good luck

Hi,
I do not think you are able to obtain your PR in 3-mths time. However, one is eligible to pay for in-state (provided he/she is going to a non-private) once he/she's married to a citizen/PR while waiting for the INS to process the PR application. If you go to the office of registra/ fee payment of your college, I guess someone will be able to lead you through if not redirect you.
I have personally went through the whole ordeal. Good luck! :luck:

goozly said:
thanks , goozy

apply to md/phd programs, most of them are funded.

naturallyneha said:
Hello,

can i have the list too please. thanks

Hi,
May I have that list too?

Thank you in advance and good luck

nufc09 said:
can i have the list too please. thanks

I am in the same boat as your guys. Could you please send me the list of the school that considers the international applicants. My Green card was approved, but I am still waiting for the card. Thanks

my best advice to you is to invest in this year's MSAR. It lists all the allopathic schools in the US and Canada and it states which schools accepts applications for international students and actually show #of intl applications received, # offered interview and # of intl students that matriculated. I just received mine a couple of days ago and it lists schools that i thought didnt accept international students, so thats probably a better list than the one i PM'd :thumbup:

since I'm getting alot of PM's concerning the list, I'm just going to post it here for reference.

List of US Allopathic Medical Schools Accepting Applications From International (non-green card holder) Students according to the 2007-2008 MSAR.
U of South Alabama
U of Southern California
Loma Linda U
Stanford U
U of California-Davis
UCLA
U of California-San Francisco
U of Colorado
U of Conneticut
Yale
George Washington U
Georgetown U
Howard U
Emory U
Mercer U
U of Hawaii
Rosalind Franklin U
Northwestern U
U of Chicago-Pritzker
Indiana U
U of Kentucky
Louisiana State U-New Orleans
Tulane U
Johns Hopkins U
Boston U
Harvard U
Tufts U
Mayo Clinic
U of Minnesota
Saint Louis U
Washington U-St.Louis
Creighton U
Dartmouth U
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Columbia U
Cornell U
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
SUNY-Upstate
Stonybrook U
Duke U
U of North Carolina
Wake Forest U
Case Western Reserve U
Jefferson Medical College
Penn State U
U of Pennsylvania
Brown U
U of South Dakota
Meharry Medical
Vanderbuilt U
Baylor College
Texas A&M~College Station
U of Texas-Galveston
U of Texas-Houston
U of Texas-Dallas
U of Utah
U of Vermont
Eastern Virginia Medical
U of Virginia
West Virginia U
Medical College of Wisconsin

have you guys started your application? I have a 3.1 gpa with an engineering degree, is it worth it to apply as an international? Thanks

Teee said:
have you guys started your application? I have a 3.1 gpa with an engineering degree, is it worth it to apply as an international? Thanks

it depends, remember med school acceptance is about the whole picture. if you are strong in the other areas of your application :science gpa, personal statement, extra-curriculars and recommendations, it may help. also, you would have to apply to a wider range of schools.
but another option is to do a post bacc or special master's program to increase your science gpa, and be able to show good performance in upper level science courses.

Good luck :luck:

kiddingme said:
it depends, remember med school acceptance is about the whole picture. if you are strong in the other areas of your application :science gpa, personal statement, extra-curriculars and recommendations, it may help. also, you would have to apply to a wider range of schools.
but another option is to do a post bacc or special master's program to increase your science gpa, and be able to show good performance in upper level science courses.

Good luck :luck:

Thanks! i was going to apply to all the schools that accept international students, except harvard of course, but that depends on if i have the money. i guess. Thanks again, and good luck too.

Teee said:
Thanks! i was going to apply to all the schools that accept international students, except harvard of course, but that depends on if i have the money. i guess. Thanks again, and good luck too.

good idea, as an international you're not guaranteed an acceptance even if your scores are stellar, so try to apply to as many as you can, look at those that accept or at least interview more than one non-citizen :thumbup:

I am an international student graduating from University in the U.S. next year. I am planning to apply to MD/PhD program this year and wondering what's the chance of international students getting into the program.

I research a bit about this but there is not much information on the admission for MD/PhD program in general and especially for international students. Does anybody know what's the med school policy for international students on MD/PhD admission?