Looking for info about Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdub

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to three good programs that I would be happy to attend: Midwestern-AZ, Loma Linda, and Louisville. I also have an interview scheduled at Tufts on Monday, and I'm not sure if I should spend $500 on a plane ticket when I've already been accepted to other schools.

Can anyone give me some insight to this program that might help me make this decision? I am married (no kids), and interested in specializing. All of the schools I got accepted to, including Tufts, are around 400k so I am not sure price is a factor. I applied to Tufts mostly because I think it would be so fun to live in Boston, but other than that I don't have a good grasp on what my experience there would be like.

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't a bad school to attend, but I'd put this school after the ones on your list.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Due to the vertical expansion, class size is over 200+ students.

They have a nice simulation lab, but as far as clinics go, you have a 50% chance for being in a beautiful group practice (2nd floor) and 50% chance for being in an average clinic (4th floor I think)

Administration is responsive to students and adjusts for student complaints. One course was extremely difficult so they cut out a lot of the material, for example.

Clinical requirements are numerical-based. Certain requirements, especially Endo (you need six to graduate, I believe), can be hard to come by given that you have over 200+ students as well as an Endo residency at the school. In fact, some D4s in the past have been held back over the summer & had to pay extra tuition due to not having enough Endo.

This isn't a bad school to attend, but I'd put this school after the ones on your list.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

This is very helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anytime :)

One more note on the requirements- it is possible that you can finish them early as well. It all depends on a) how proactive you are and b) what kind of patient family you get from the person you inherit your patients from. However, you are taking a chance on that by going there since there are 200 other students in your class who need the same cases you do.

The faculty are known to be really kind and helpful.
I heard from students at Louisville that they have a similar problem...some people weren't able to graduate on time due to not fulfilling all of the clinical requirements. I don't know if it was just the sales pitch at Midwestern but they made it sound like you will do way more than is required to graduate.

I heard from students at Louisville that they have a similar problem...some people weren't able to graduate on time due to not fulfilling all of the clinical requirements. I don't know if it was just the sales pitch at Midwestern but they made it sound like you will do way more than is required to graduate.

It's a fine program, to be sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Due to the vertical expansion, class size is over 200+ students.

They have a nice simulation lab, but as far as clinics go, you have a 50% chance for being in a beautiful group practice (2nd floor) and 50% chance for being in an average clinic (4th floor I think)

Administration is responsive to students and adjusts for student complaints. One course was extremely difficult so they cut out a lot of the material, for example.

Clinical requirements are numerical-based. Certain requirements, especially Endo (you need six to graduate, I believe), can be hard to come by given that you have over 200+ students as well as an Endo residency at the school. In fact, some D4s in the past have been held back over the summer & had to pay extra tuition due to not having enough Endo.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

I am also in the process of deciding between Louisville and Tufts. They are both great schools, but I've been wanting to ask some students from each school questions to help with my decision. For Tufts, how do you feel about such a large class? Is it hard to feel like a close-knit class with that many people? Also, how is the student to professor ratio? Do you find it difficult to get to know your professors and ask for help? I'm also worried about the grading scale at Tufts. I was told the cut off for an A was a 96... that must make it really hard to get good grades for students interested in specializing. I've always dreamed of living in Boston, it's my favorite city but I also worry about how expensive it would be. Louisville is expensive too, but Tufts is slightly more and Boston is more expensive than Louisville as far as living expenses. I'm very confused with what to do, but any insight to these questions would be very appreciated!

I am also in the process of deciding between Louisville and Tufts. They are both great schools, but I've been wanting to ask some students from each school questions to help with my decision

Hello,

I am in a FaceBook page for people in the C/O 2021, which has over 20-30 Tufts Dental students active on it willing to answer the questions of the incoming class. I recommend you join and ask these questions there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users