Looking for jobs... recruiter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm starting my search for a job... and it was brought to my attention that recruiting agencies are not preferred.

I have yet to meet w/ my chairman (hopefully soon) so I have no idea about how to get a-hold of groups without going on sites like MDjobsite or practicelink and posting my info on it and then having recruiters sort of hound me after.

I suppose I could try cold calling - but I wanted to wait until after my chairman talks to me and gets me a better foot in the door before calling these groups.

So, question - should I not entertain recruiters? Should I refrain from cold calling until I talk to my chairman and he can point me in the right direction with who to contact?

Members don't see this ad.

First thing you have to figure out is where you want to live. Then look at the hospitals in that area. Figure out which of those hospitals are where you'd like to work. Contact them. Might be harder if it's a tight job market in a very desirable area, which is where contacts come in. But otherwise, this is how it gets done. If a recruiter floats your name to them and they want to hire you, they have to pay their fee, which most groups do not want to pay.

Hey guys,

So I'm starting my search for a job... and it was brought to my attention that recruiting agencies are not preferred.

I have yet to meet w/ my chairman (hopefully soon) so I have no idea about how to get a-hold of groups without going on sites like MDjobsite or practicelink and posting my info on it and then having recruiters sort of hound me after.

I suppose I could try cold calling - but I wanted to wait until after my chairman talks to me and gets me a better foot in the door before calling these groups.

No. Call the group, send your resume/cover letter. Your chair has contacts but those contacts can be activated at any time the chair wishes. If they already have your information when the chair calls, so much the better. Depending on the size of your program, it's unlikely your chair is going to be enthusiastic about making a phone call to every group you may be interested in. Figure out where you want to be, and come to your chair with a short list of places you'd like their help getting into.

Members don't see this ad :)
The above sounds like great advice. I second to stay as far away from a recruiter as possible.

Something else that does not get mentioned much is to use this forum. Many folks have their location listed, others do not but may have given it away in a thread. If you see someone in an area you are interested, I would not hesitate to contact them in a private message. I think contacting even a resident or someone that was a resident from an area you are looking into may give some insight.

I will also throw out a suggestion for the ACEP Job Fair. Its coming up in just a few short months....

Recruiters are only helpful for matching up desparate understaffed hospitals and desparate family practice docs who would not find each other otherwise.

I was surfing the internet one night looking for what jobs were out there when a site forced me to register to see details about an available job in an area of a state I was interested in. The next morning, I was contacted by no less than 12 head-hunters. I didn't realize that the site was a feeder site for recruiters. I stupidly talked to the first two or three. Later on, in talking to on of the pestering recruiters, I told her that I wasn't interested in the job she had told me about. She asked me where I was interviewing at, so I STUPIDLY told her. She started calling that company, trying to tell them that they owed her $20,000 for giving them my name, even though the job she told me about wasn't the job I was eventually interested in. (It was a big staffing company that staffs hundreds of ERs) They had their lawyers looking at the contract, who thought the recruiter was right. The staffing company was frustrated with me and told me never to talk to anyone but an in-house recruiter as they would much prefer to give the money to a new-hire in the form of a signing-bonus as opposed to wasting it on some recruiter.

Recruiters are pond scum, bottom dwelling parasites for ER physicians. Avoid them like Ebola.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recruiters are only helpful for matching up desparate understaffed hospitals and desparate family practice docs who would not find each other otherwise.

I was surfing the internet one night looking for what jobs were out there when a site forced me to register to see details about an available job in an area of a state I was interested in. The next morning, I was contacted by no less than 12 head-hunters. I didn't realize that the site was a feeder site for recruiters. I stupidly talked to the first two or three. Later on, in talking to on of the pestering recruiters, I told her that I wasn't interested in the job she had told me about. She asked me where I was interviewing at, so I STUPIDLY told her. She started calling that company, trying to tell them that they owed her $20,000 for giving them my name, even though the job she told me about wasn't the job I was eventually interested in. (It was a big staffing company that staffs hundreds of ERs) They had their lawyers looking at the contract, who thought the recruiter was right. The staffing company was frustrated with me and told me never to talk to anyone but an in-house recruiter as they would much prefer to give the money to a new-hire in the form of a signing-bonus as opposed to wasting it on some recruiter.

Recruiters are pond scum, bottom dwelling parasites for ER physicians. Avoid them like Ebola.

SDN needs a 'Like' button!!

Dude... you guys are awesome... thanks for helping and saving me from the recruiting pond scum!

So yesterday at a career fair I mistakenly gave my CV to a recruiter... He kind of ambushed me and was talking to me about two hospitals which I would be really interested in going to. I mistakenly assumed that his company was STAFFING these two hospitals...

Here's my question. I was going to apply to these two hospitals anyway. Does me giving him my CV create a "relationship" with this recruiter and will require a hefty commission to him if I wind up working for either of these hospitals? I'm not planning on responding to his phone calls or any other further contact...

So yesterday at a career fair I mistakenly gave my CV to a recruiter... He kind of ambushed me and was talking to me about two hospitals which I would be really interested in going to. I mistakenly assumed that his company was STAFFING these two hospitals...

Here's my question. I was going to apply to these two hospitals anyway. Does me giving him my CV create a "relationship" with this recruiter and will require a hefty commission to him if I wind up working for either of these hospitals? I'm not planning on responding to his phone calls or any other further contact...

You're in a tough spot. You may need to apply asap to the hospitals and let them know that you are not going through a recruiter. Even then, the fact that the recruiter told you about these hospitals - this may be enough for him to get his cut. That's 10% of your first year salary there.

You're in a tough spot. You may need to apply asap to the hospitals and let them know that you are not going through a recruiter. Even then, the fact that the recruiter told you about these hospitals - this may be enough for him to get his cut. That's 10% of your first year salary there.

Argghh that really sucks!

I didn't even realize that he was a recruiter until it was too late. There should be rules against this type of sneaky preying behavior.

Lesson learned: Don't give your damn CV out at career fairs. Better to email later on when you learn more info. That way he would not have gotten my name or any of my info.