• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

mchung7

Oct 4, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello,

I have been creeping around SDN for quite some time, and decided that I would like to receive feedback on my chances exclusively for MD, although not ruling out DO (will certainly apply for several SMP's as well). I am graduating late due to a change in major and school transfer, and thus have an extra semester to go, but have a good approximation on what my gpa will be. I also have yet to take the MCAT. Therefore, I would also appreciate input on an ideal and realistic MCAT score to enhance my chances for acceptance, assuming that my LOR's and PS are well written.

Approximate stats:
3.59 cgpa, 3.6 sgpa.
Freshman: 3.5
Sophmore: 3.4
Junior: 3.85
Senior: 3.85

-2 years research in the neuroscience department. My mentor is preparing to submit for publication in the next couple months.
-A semester of general chemistry tutoring.
-4+ years of various church related leadership roles.
-3 years of non-clinical community service for the homeless in D.C.
-50 hours of shadowing an internalist.

-Will be attending VCU's SAEP in the medicine track this summer: (just wanted to mention that VCU SOM is a top choice :luck:)
http://www.dhsd.vcu.edu/programs/college/saep.html
-Will be volunteering (clinical) for 2 months this summer.

I understand that much of my stats are not yet concrete in addition to my low gpa, but would appreciate experienced insight on my progress so far. Lastly, any suggestions on schools that I may have a chance at will be awesome as well, as I am attempting to narrow down the list of schools from the MSAR.

Thank you all very much in advance.

TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Actually things are not looking bad for you for MD. :) A 3.6 is decent, especially with an upward trend. I know many people who have gotten in with a similar GPA and 30-32 MCAT. To maximize your chances, I would aim for a 33 or 34 but it all depends on how well you do on practice tests. If you get below a 30, you will be less competitive for MD but very competitive for top DO schools.

The most important part of your ECs to work on is clinical experience. Can you turn the two-month opportunity this summer into an ongoing clinical experience? This would help. Your research looks great, and the non-clinical community service is excellent, especially for service-oriented schools. You've got shadowing and leadership, which are important. Focus now on getting some good clinical exposure so that you know what it's like to deal with patients, and can explain that to an interviewer. Also, if you have any really time-consuming hobbies outside of what you've listed, I would include them on your occupation.

It's really hard to say which schools to consider without an MCAT. If you get a 30+ I'd say you are competitive for some low-tier MD schools but would advise you to apply DO as well (if and ONLY if you would be happy attending a DO school if you weren't accepted to an MD program). With a 33+, your great ECs, and an upward grade trend with explanation, I think you may have a chance at mid-tiers as well. Sometimes you don't know what an adcom is looking for, which is why it's best to apply to a wide range of schools...a few reaches based on stats and a lot of schools with averages at or below your stats.

Update us when you've got your MCAT score back and we'll be better able to advise you. :)

mchung7

Oct 4, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thank you so much for your advice!
I plan on taking my MCAT during April of 2013 a year from now, following SN2ed's schedule. Hopefully things go well :X
After writing out all my EC's, I can see that I am in big need for clinical exposure. I am thinking about asking my family physician if I can volunteer at his clinic. Would you say that this is an effective means to clinical experience, or do you think that adcoms are looking for clinical volunteering at a larger general hospital? I also plan on being either a scribe or EMT for the year that I wait for school responses, as they usually require a 1 year minimum dedication. Am I correct in assuming that I can update schools after the application time-period is over with these new experiences?
Also, I have read that it is recommended to shadow a PCP, as well as a specialized physician. Would an internalist count more toward a primary physician or specialized medicine?

Thanks!

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
1) I am thinking about asking my family physician if I can volunteer at his clinic. Would you say that this is an effective means to clinical experience, or do you think that adcoms are looking for clinical volunteering at a larger general hospital?
2) I also plan on being either a scribe or EMT for the year that I wait for school responses, as they usually require a 1 year minimum dedication. Am I correct in assuming that I can update schools after the application time-period is over with these new experiences?
3) Also, I have read that it is recommended to shadow a PCP, as well as a specialized physician. Would an internalist count more toward a primary physician or specialized medicine?
1) A clinic is a fine source of clinical experience, as long as you are interacting with the patients.

2) Many, but not all, schools accept update letters about pertinent activities during the application cycle. You could wait until the job starts before submitting your application so it will be listed on the application. Some Secondary applications and interview conversations are other places to discuss your gap year activity.

3) A general internist is a primary care physician, as is a pediatrician, family doc, OBGYN, or Psychiatrist.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.