Looking for opinions from people who've gone through the process this year..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok a buddy is applying and he asked me how competitive he is. I myself am applying to MD schools this year, but I don't know much about DO and how he stands, so I hope someone can help.

GPA: 3.00
Science GPA: slightly lower (i think it was a 2.90??)

MCAT: 26 (8V, 9BS, 9PS)

EC: a year of research in a psych lab. Little bits of research here and there during undergrad. I think he is going to do a post bac or more research this coming year.

SO how do you think someone like this stands? He really likes to goto NYCOM. But also overall in the grand scheme do you think he'll get 1 acceptance, many acceptances, no acceptances..

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your buddy's GPA is perhaps a bit low, but I don't think it's too low as long as he has some other characteristics in his file that make him stand out. Has your buddy shadowed a DO? This is very important, especially if it's a DO who attended NYCOM. Has your buddy done any clinical work or volunteering? This will also go far with the adcoms. I know of a few people in my class with GPA's at or slightly below 3.0, for whatever that's worth.

Not to discourage your friend, but tell him to apply to a lot of DO schools if he wants the best chance.

The GPA is pretty low but not impossible to overcome and the MCAT, although acceptable, combined with the GPA probably wont blow over any admission committees. With a good personal statement and letters of recommendation, it's possible he may get interviews.

Keep in mind, whatever you read on here, it's all opinion. No one knows what will happen until the applications are in and the schools contact you with their answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who applied with similar stats - 2.9 BPCM, and a 25 MCAT. The only difference is that she had a non-science GPA that was a little bit higher. I think it was a 3.3. She applied to 6 schools and got 3 interviews. It's more difficult, but possible.

There are some DO schools which focus more heavily on GPA and some on MCAT. As far as I know (and I am very familiar with NYCOM), NYCOM puts much more emphasis on GPA. Apply to NYCOM, but don't count on it. Apply to as many schools as financially possible.

To add ... Yes, your friend should get a few acceptances, provided he applies to lots of schools, is decently charismatic during interviews, and has some interesting extracurriculars.

hey thanks everyone. this was very encouraging news, considering his poor performance in school.

Thanks again

I had the exact same mcat score, but had around a 3.3 in science and overall. I have good EC's. I was accepted to CCOM, AZCOM, LECOM, West/pacific, I had an interview at UNECOM (turned it down), was rejected by MSUCOM, PCOM, Ohio, UMDNJ, and NYCOM. never heard from TUCOM. Your friend, if interviewed well, should get a few. it only takes one. good luck