looking for opinions on how competitive I am for the next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

whateveryoulike

edit: cleaning house so I don't have all my personal info lying around the internet. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks really good. Your stats are awesome and the fact that you are in an honors college should help. If you get the DAT scores even close to your practice one, 22+, you should be able to get in anywhere you want, maybe except Harvard. As for your concern about extracurriculars, I don't think dental schools care that much about ECs, GPA and DAT is the most important thing. I played varsity soccer and club tennis (at a Div I school) and didn't seem to really help, since I didn't get into my first choice. I think all they want is a little exposure to dentistry. Good Luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do in fact get 21 + (easier said than done), I think you can get in somewhere. I don't think you will be a top "competitive" applicant because of your shaky past.

If you do in fact get 21 + (easier said than done), I think you can get in somewhere. I don't think you will be a top "competitive" applicant because of your shaky past.

Don't knock someone because of their "shaky" past. I had a similar past and I was accepted into every dental school I applied to. Admissions committee members realize when you are a victim of circumstances outside your control (i.e. poor family, poor environment, etc.)

Yes, I don't see how having a shaky past is gonna give you a disadvantage. Actually it should give you an edge, showing how strong and mature you are. And how can the adcoms know about the past anyways? except that he got a GED instead of a diploma.
Don't knock someone because of their "shaky" past. I had a similar past and I was accepted into every dental school I applied to. Admissions committee members realize when you are a victim of circumstances outside your control (i.e. poor family, poor environment, etc.)

put that story about selling the furniture and stuff into your personal essay, rock the dat, and you'll be accepted to a ton of schools. and make sure you put in at least 50hrs of shadowing a dentist

Really?? I couldn't feel anymore different. I think schools will be more impressed with your gpa when comparing you to other 3.9 people who did not have to overcome adversity. Also having a diverse student body is not just having people of different ethnic backgrounds but also people from different socioeconomic backgrounds as well. I'd say you have a great shot... Good luck!

With your tough past, your imrpovement in college and great grades, and you (potentially) great DAT scores most of the schools will be happy to have you as their student. Just keep the ball rolling and do the smart things. I would suggest going and shadowing for a dentist (or maybe doing more than just shadowing?). It will benefit you and it will benefit your application.
Good luck!:xf:

thanks guys for all the encouraging words.

how long do most people study for the DAT? Aside from the Kaplan BB I also got the DAT Destroyer w/ the Odyssey book. What else would you guys recommend for additional Bio and Chem review? I feel solid about Orgo and Destroyer's chem seems kinda overkill. I feel like the questions in it are either far too easy or theyre from outerspace. Does anyone else see destroyer chem questions and think "I dont even remember learning that :/ " or is that just me? Id also like opinions/recommendations on additional practice tests that might accurately gauge my standing. Id like to see how good/bad I score with other diagnostic tests so I can get an idea how much studying I need to do before taking the test.

Wait until you take the DAT for opinions of how competive you are. There are just too many variables on game day.

I'd say if your original post was your personal statement, you'd get in to any school you wanted, esp if you get anywhere near those DAT scores (really anything 20+ and you're golden).

thanks guys for all the encouraging words.

how long do most people study for the DAT? Aside from the Kaplan BB I also got the DAT Destroyer w/ the Odyssey book. What else would you guys recommend for additional Bio and Chem review? I feel solid about Orgo and Destroyer's chem seems kinda overkill. I feel like the questions in it are either far too easy or theyre from outerspace. Does anyone else see destroyer chem questions and think "I dont even remember learning that :/ " or is that just me? Id also like opinions/recommendations on additional practice tests that might accurately gauge my standing. Id like to see how good/bad I score with other diagnostic tests so I can get an idea how much studying I need to do before taking the test.

sounds like you're good to go my man. I never used anything else besides my college textbooks. It doesn't hurt to do destroyer i guess, but it might be overkill for you. Take a few online DAT tests like Topscore. Oh and I know you skipped the RC, but remember, it's one of the more underestimated, but very important sections. Just don't F that up (like getting a 16, 17 or below) and get 19, 20+ on the rest and with your GPA and life experiences, you'll be fine.

sounds like you're good to go my man. I never used anything else besides my college textbooks. It doesn't hurt to do destroyer i guess, but it might be overkill for you. Take a few online DAT tests like Topscore. Oh and I know you skipped the RC, but remember, it's one of the more underestimated, but very important sections. Just don't F that up (like getting a 16, 17 or below) and get 19, 20+ on the rest and with your GPA and life experiences, you'll be fine.

Try to also get your hands on some of the paper Kaplan practice and subject tests. They are very similar to the actual thing. Also, you can go to the ADA website and print out a list of every subject covered on the DAT with the approximate number of questions from each subject that will be on the test. If you're that strong in sciences then you should be fine to take it right now. I didn't really study at all and I did fine. But I also have a 3.9 science GPA (w/ over 80 hrs of science) and had been a part time tutor on my campus for over 2 years before the test. Trust me tutoring people helps because you won't forget the common things that most do.

You know what you can do that will help with the RC? You can try leaving a book near your bed and reading a little every night before you go to sleep. Thats been a habit that I've had since I was a kid and I know it really helps because I made a 24 on the RC. This section is also considered one the strongest indicators of success on the NBDE I.