Looking for opinions on scheduling an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canyoncrayonz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a regular on here but made another account to ask this question for the sake of anonymity. I recently received an interview invite for a school towards the bottom of my list, and the school allows scheduling throughout the entire fall. I am currently trying to decide between scheduling it as soon as possible, or holding off and scheduling it for later in the fall. I currently have interviews at 5 other schools that I'm more interested in, but I know none of them are a sure thing. However, if I hold off and schedule it later, I may have an acceptance by then and save myself the troubles of traveling. But what I'm afraid of sending the message that I'm not interested, which I of course don't want to do. It may be low on my list, but I'm applying because I'd be more than happy to go there if it were my only acceptance.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree this could look weird and I have been scheduling all of my as soon as possible regardless of my preference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'd be wary to make it apparent that I was less than excited about any school. I also think you would benefit from changing your mindset before you get there. Any school you get to interview at is a great opportunity and you may end up liking it more than you think.

If anything, it could make great practice for your other interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think your scheduling time will be seen as lack of enthusiasm. I would go for it and get the practice at a school lower on your list.

Full disclosure: I did this last year. I applied DO when I probably would have rather applied twice to MD. By this time last year, I had 5 MD interviews. I chose to turn down all the DO interviews I received (the one DO interview I did schedule, I moved to a later date then canceled). I'm incredibly happy with how things turned out.

There is a pretty decent chance that you will get in with one of the 5 interviews you have, but it's still a risk to not put your best foot forward at every interview. If this school is a MD school, I would schedule it as early as you can. Get practice, and you never know how things will work out (oh, and scholarships). If it is a DO school and your other interviews are MD, I 100% do not regret my decision (even if things didn't work out with MD- the fact that I would consider moving/canceling the DO interviews made it clear that I probably wouldn't have been happy there)

Just my 2 cents

(And congrats on getting all these IIs so early! You too @ChrisMack390 !)

Last edited:
Statistically you're probably going to get into one of those other schools, but with all the randomness of this process I just don't think it's wise to give up even the tiniest sliver of chance in your favor.