Looking for PGY2 or PGY1 Psychiatry spot.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healer89

Reaction score
Currently completed PGY1 family medicine, certified, and recommended for 2nd year. Want to change gears, looking for PGY1 or PGY2 spots for psychiatry.

ASAP

Members don't see this ad.

Get in touch with your medical school's psychiatry program director. There's a private listserv managed by the AADPRT where open PGY-2 positions are discussed. Many are not posted publicly; the PDs with an open spot are hoping to get a superior, or at least better-vetted, candidate on recommendation from another PD.

Get in touch with your medical school's psychiatry program director. There's a private listserv managed by the AADPRT where open PGY-2 positions are discussed. Many are not posted publicly; the PDs with an open spot are hoping to get a superior, or at least better-vetted, candidate on recommendation from another PD.
Should you let your own PD know before reaching out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should you let your own PD know before reaching out?

Hard to answer this without knowing more about your situation. In general, if your residency is at a different system than your medical school, the chance of two PDs in different specialties from different institutions chatting about you is pretty remote. I don't see the harm in saying to the medical school psychiatry PD "Hey, I'm thinking of switching into psychiatry. Would you be willing to advise me in this?" Implicit in this request would be that (s)he doesn't go around advertising your potential plans.

Also, kind of curious about your timeline, since the new academic year starts......tomorrow. If you're not planning to show up for work, I sure hope your PD already knows....

Hard to answer this without knowing more about your situation. In general, if your residency is at a different system than your medical school, the chance of two PDs in different specialties from different institutions chatting about you is pretty remote. I don't see the harm in saying to the medical school psychiatry PD "Hey, I'm thinking of switching into psychiatry. Would you be willing to advise me in this?" Implicit in this request would be that (s)he doesn't go around advertising your potential plans.

Also, kind of curious about your timeline, since the new academic year starts......tomorrow. If you're not planning to show up for work, I sure hope your PD already knows....
I missed the part they were in a different specialty. How about if it was a Psychiatry to Psychiatry transfer??

I missed the part they were in a different specialty. How about if it was a Psychiatry to Psychiatry transfer??

That sounds like a lot trickier of a situation. You then wouldn't have the far-and-away best excuse for switching programs, which is that you want to pursue training in a specialty you've decided you're more passionate about.

Wanting to leave one psychiatry program for another is going to raise a lot of eyebrows. I'm sure it's been done, though I don't know of anyone personally. If the reason is something along the lines of "I need to be closer to my family" maybe that'll be OK, but the unfortunate presumption is going to be "Why are you trying to leave a perfectly good program in your specialty? Are you difficult/hard to work with?"

I think my advice remains the same. Talk to your medical school's PD, with whom you're presumably on good terms since you matched in psychiatry, and tell him you're hoping to transfer programs within psychiatry and what does (s)he think about that. Probably be prepared for them to advise you to suck it up for another 3 years. I certainly wouldn't tell your current PD anything until you have some idea of if this is even achievable.

Reactions: 1 user

My medical school doesn't have psychiatry residency :(

So you've been trying to switch to Psych since the end of December based on post history. If you want real help here, it would be useful to know what you did in that time and why it didn't work out. Doing more of the same at a worse time won't likely produce results.

I sent applications and called programs. I am in a program in PR, and from here is not that easy to connect with other programs in the mainland. Haven't receive responses through here and regardless of the many applications I received no many helpful responses have come to conclusion.

So you think you are going to jump from FM to Psych in a day? I see you thought about this in great detail. o_O
I don't think it will happen in a day, but not trying is not an option. Decided to work as a GP and find some experience to reapply to psychiatry. FM is not what I want to see myself doing for the rest of my life since I know mental health is my real passion.