PhD/PsyD Looking for PhD programs with palliative/ cancer/ end of life care research labs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychPanda

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been researching clinical PhD programs for the past 6 weeks, but worry I may be missing some PIs focusing in related areas. So far, some programs that look like they may have PIs focused in palliative/ cancer care are:

- U of Arizona
- U Colorado Denver
- Northwestern Feinberg
- Notre Dame
- Ohio State
- UC San Diego
- U South Florida

Anyone know of more potential opportunities in cancer related coping/ palliative care/ end of life care? Psycho-oncology is my main field of interest and the area where I have the most experience, but I'm also interested in palliative care more broadly (e.g. in cases of heart disease and other terminal illnesses).

Members don't see this ad.

University of Florida has a psycho-oncology lab - PIs name is Pereira.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
University of AL has a gero-psychology concentration. I'm sure someone there studies that.

I would suggest cross-referencing the list of NCI Comprehensive Cancer Centers with the list of APA-accredited clinical doctoral programs. Not all NCI comprehensive centers will have a doctoral program with a psycho-oncology focus but many will. I would also look at the list of editors/associate editors for related journals - Psycho-Oncology, Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, Journal of Cancer Education, etc. - and see where their editors work. Some of them will be social workers, some will be at AMC, etc. but some will likely be at universities with doctoral programs in psychology.

I'd suggest looking into Geropsychology training programs.

Google CoPGTP (Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs) for a list of recognized member programs, most of which likely have a palliative care component.

This is a good list. Also check out UT Southwestern in Dallas.

One caveat - this is pretty specialized for doctoral level programs. The sequence of training in psychology is like a funnel, starting broad and then narrowing as you progress. Look for opportunities in your interest area by all means, but consider other clinical health (or maybe gero? though psycho-oncology fits better within health psychology) programs to add to your list, and look for further specialization opportunities at internship and postdoc.

I'd scratch USF off that list as the individual you are considering is now at NCI.