1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Looking for places to Shadow / Volunteer (Walgreens or save on?)

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by DustinfromCA, Jul 20, 2006.

1. DustinfromCA

DustinfromCA Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hi, anyone here familiar will Walgreens or save on policy? I asked K-mart and they said (at least here in CA) it is not their company policy to allow volunteers for legal reasons.

Does anyone know walgreens or save on? I've called and they said they'd get back to me... but I'm still waiting.

I'm in California by the way. I'm looking to get some pharmacy experience.

Thanks a lot for any help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. senzabee

senzabee Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hospitals are the way to do it. If you have a Kaiser in your area, try them and ask for their volunteer services office.

4. DustinfromCA

DustinfromCA Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I live in a small city and we have a walgreens, save-on and kmart as far as I know. Alas.. no Kaiser nearby, we have a hospital but its a good amount away.

I was just hoping someone on the msg board worked at these places before so when I'll know who to bother some more next week when I (politely) ask again if they take volunteers.

thanks for the response!

5. fairandbalanced

fairandbalanced Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Are there any info about volunteering for Kaiser on their website?

6. Scrubs Fan

Scrubs Fan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am kind of in the same boat. I've tried different places looking to volunteer and no luck. I've tried both retail and hospital pharmacies (i haven't tried kaiser yet) but I've heard basically that they won't take volunteers b/c they're a liablity to the hospital.
    I just started volunteering at a free clinic that serves the poor. I am also from california.

So if you hear anything, let me know. thanks. and good luck to you too

7. jemini99

jemini99 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Try Huntington Hospital in Pasadena they have over 1,000 volunteers and they will place you where ever you want to go.

8. longnguyen

longnguyen Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pharmacy Student
    1,000 volunteers applying to pharm, med or dental school as well? :laugh:

9. OoShimmeroO

OoShimmeroO Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Chain stores usually don't accept volunteers for legal reasons. To gain experience, most pre-pharm students work as clerks at chain stores. If you're really set on volunterring, check out local independent pharmacies.

10. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dustin - where in CA are you? Its a big state, I'll give you some ideas if you can narrow yourself to an area....central valley, central coast, north coast....etcc....

11. DustinfromCA

DustinfromCA Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm from UC-Davis (near sacramento).

Thanks for all the replies guys

12. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dustin....you have lots of options available to you. If you actually live in Davis....go to the UC Davis healthcenter - on campus. They have a pharmacy. Ask to speak with the pharmacists - at his/her convenience. A college pharmacy is usually very slow & he/she may let you watch for awhile.

Also, you aren't that far from Vacavile. Vacaville has a huge healthcare facility for the CA prison system. You might be able to shadow there as well. Travis has a small health facility, but as a nonmilitary person, you'd have problems getting on the base or into a secure location like a pharmacy.

Try a small, independent pharmacy. There aren't that many in Davis, I know, but perhaps you can get to Woodland or Dixon to find one. There is a compounding pharmacy in Davis - Davis Compounding Solutions which might provide you with options. Finally, you could go out to the vet school & shadow the vet who runs the drug storage & dispensing for the large & small animal clinics there.

You have lots of options - just have to think a bit creatively.

Good Luck!

13. DustinfromCA

DustinfromCA Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Oooh shoot I forgot to mention I'm not at Davis for the summer right now.. I was referring to my hometown in the boonies.. haha.. well I'll be there in Davis in a couple of weeks.. so thanks for all the help, I'll definately look into it all.

14. JackFruitLover

10+ Year Member

I shadowed at walgreens and the Pharmacist I worked with was a complete dingus.
    - Dustin

15. DustinfromCA

DustinfromCA Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    So Walgreens doesn't have a policy against volunteers shadowing in CA?

16. pharmbebe

Non-Student
    i'm also in ca, so i know what you mean...i tried shadowing at walgreens...i had to talk to the manager and she said it was fine if i came by but i wouldn't be allowed to go behind the counter... :/ i guess i'm still going to go...it's better than nothing...but i can only go once and only for a couple hours...

she did tell me though that it's better to ask like a privately-owned pharmacy if you can shadow...all the big stores like cvs and walgreens have to follow policies, but the smaller ones not so much...there's a place called "b&b's pharamcy near my house" and they were a lot more willing to let me shadow...and for like 30 hrs, not just a one-time thing...we're stopping by next week to see when to start...

hope it helps...