Looking for places to Shadow / Volunteer (Walgreens or save on?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DustinfromCA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, anyone here familiar will Walgreens or save on policy? I asked K-mart and they said (at least here in CA) it is not their company policy to allow volunteers for legal reasons.

Does anyone know walgreens or save on? I've called and they said they'd get back to me... but I'm still waiting.

I'm in California by the way. I'm looking to get some pharmacy experience.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

DustinfromCA said:
Hi, anyone here familiar will Walgreens or save on policy? I asked K-mart and they said (at least here in CA) it is not their company policy to allow volunteers for legal reasons.

Does anyone know walgreens or save on? I've called and they said they'd get back to me... but I'm still waiting.

I'm in California by the way. I'm looking to get some pharmacy experience.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Hospitals are the way to do it. If you have a Kaiser in your area, try them and ask for their volunteer services office.

I live in a small city and we have a walgreens, save-on and kmart as far as I know. Alas.. no Kaiser nearby, we have a hospital but its a good amount away.

I was just hoping someone on the msg board worked at these places before so when I'll know who to bother some more next week when I (politely) ask again if they take volunteers.

thanks for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
senzabee said:
Hospitals are the way to do it. If you have a Kaiser in your area, try them and ask for their volunteer services office.

Are there any info about volunteering for Kaiser on their website?

I am kind of in the same boat. I've tried different places looking to volunteer and no luck. I've tried both retail and hospital pharmacies (i haven't tried kaiser yet) but I've heard basically that they won't take volunteers b/c they're a liablity to the hospital.
I just started volunteering at a free clinic that serves the poor. I am also from california.

So if you hear anything, let me know. thanks. and good luck to you too

Try Huntington Hospital in Pasadena they have over 1,000 volunteers and they will place you where ever you want to go.
Scrubs Fan said:
I am kind of in the same boat. I've tried different places looking to volunteer and no luck. I've tried both retail and hospital pharmacies (i haven't tried kaiser yet) but I've heard basically that they won't take volunteers b/c they're a liablity to the hospital.
I just started volunteering at a free clinic that serves the poor. I am also from california.

So if you hear anything, let me know. thanks. and good luck to you too

jemini99 said:
Try Huntington Hospital in Pasadena they have over 1,000 volunteers and they will place you where ever you want to go.

1,000 volunteers applying to pharm, med or dental school as well? :laugh:

Chain stores usually don't accept volunteers for legal reasons. To gain experience, most pre-pharm students work as clerks at chain stores. If you're really set on volunterring, check out local independent pharmacies.

DustinfromCA said:
I live in a small city and we have a walgreens, save-on and kmart as far as I know. Alas.. no Kaiser nearby, we have a hospital but its a good amount away.

I was just hoping someone on the msg board worked at these places before so when I'll know who to bother some more next week when I (politely) ask again if they take volunteers.

thanks for the response!

Dustin - where in CA are you? Its a big state, I'll give you some ideas if you can narrow yourself to an area....central valley, central coast, north coast....etcc....

I'm from UC-Davis (near sacramento).

Thanks for all the replies guys

DustinfromCA said:
I'm from UC-Davis (near sacramento).

Thanks for all the replies guys

Dustin....you have lots of options available to you. If you actually live in Davis....go to the UC Davis healthcenter - on campus. They have a pharmacy. Ask to speak with the pharmacists - at his/her convenience. A college pharmacy is usually very slow & he/she may let you watch for awhile.

Also, you aren't that far from Vacavile. Vacaville has a huge healthcare facility for the CA prison system. You might be able to shadow there as well. Travis has a small health facility, but as a nonmilitary person, you'd have problems getting on the base or into a secure location like a pharmacy.

Try a small, independent pharmacy. There aren't that many in Davis, I know, but perhaps you can get to Woodland or Dixon to find one. There is a compounding pharmacy in Davis - Davis Compounding Solutions which might provide you with options. Finally, you could go out to the vet school & shadow the vet who runs the drug storage & dispensing for the large & small animal clinics there.

You have lots of options - just have to think a bit creatively.

Good Luck!

Oooh shoot I forgot to mention I'm not at Davis for the summer right now.. I was referring to my hometown in the boonies.. haha.. well I'll be there in Davis in a couple of weeks.. so thanks for all the help, I'll definately look into it all.

I shadowed at walgreens and the Pharmacist I worked with was a complete dingus.
- Dustin

So Walgreens doesn't have a policy against volunteers shadowing in CA?

So Walgreens doesn't have a policy against volunteers shadowing in CA?

i'm also in ca, so i know what you mean...i tried shadowing at walgreens...i had to talk to the manager and she said it was fine if i came by but i wouldn't be allowed to go behind the counter... :/ i guess i'm still going to go...it's better than nothing...but i can only go once and only for a couple hours...

she did tell me though that it's better to ask like a privately-owned pharmacy if you can shadow...all the big stores like cvs and walgreens have to follow policies, but the smaller ones not so much...there's a place called "b&b's pharamcy near my house" and they were a lot more willing to let me shadow...and for like 30 hrs, not just a one-time thing...we're stopping by next week to see when to start...

hope it helps...