Looking for Research Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuJo31

Reaction score
I'm a PGY-1, soon to be PGY-2 with a strong interest in eventually pursing a sports medicine fellowship and career. I have spent a good majority of my intern year attempting to find a research project locally, even inquiring about getting guidance in starting up my own project. Unfortunately, there is no sports research occurring through my program, which is weak on research across the board, and attempts to reach out to other overlapping specialties and private sports groups have been met by a lack of interest. I do not have enough of a research background to feel comfortable tackling my own project at this time, nor have I been able to get access to data for a project idea I proposed.

I guess my question is what can I do at this point to get involved in a meaningful project that is still realistic for this point in my training? Is there a way to find researchers/mentors at other institutions whose interests align with mine (I have a strong interest in concussion, particularly pediatric, and certain sports) and would be willing to work with me? Is there some sort of database of existing projects looking for help? I feel like I've wasted a year by not having anything at this point and don't want to keep waiting around hoping for something when it feels like I've exhausted the opportunities through my program.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PGY-1, soon to be PGY-2 with a strong interest in eventually pursing a sports medicine fellowship and career. I have spent a good majority of my intern year attempting to find a research project locally, even inquiring about getting guidance in starting up my own project. Unfortunately, there is no sports research occurring through my program, which is weak on research across the board, and attempts to reach out to other overlapping specialties and private sports groups have been met by a lack of interest. I do not have enough of a research background to feel comfortable tackling my own project at this time, nor have I been able to get access to data for a project idea I proposed.

I guess my question is what can I do at this point to get involved in a meaningful project that is still realistic for this point in my training? Is there a way to find researchers/mentors at other institutions whose interests align with mine (I have a strong interest in concussion, particularly pediatric, and certain sports) and would be willing to work with me? Is there some sort of database of existing projects looking for help? I feel like I've wasted a year by not having anything at this point and don't want to keep waiting around hoping for something when it feels like I've exhausted the opportunities through my program.
What's your primary specialty?

Primary research is tough and I think prob very tough to find something if there is nothing going on locally.
Maybe it would be worth reaching out to the research committee if you're a member of AMSSM

Other more practical things to get "research" experience at your stage, I would look into writing a case report/poster to present at AMSSM. Posters are relatively easy and a good intro to presenting and publication.
Another easier way is writing projects. Sports-related review articles, book chapter updates (5 min clinical consult).
Talk to your chiefs about getting on the lecture schedule and you can lecture your fellow residents, that counts as local presentations.
While primary research is impressive, i think most fellowships care less about big primary research work than a dedication to sports med throughout your training... longitudinal team coverage, etc

Thanks for the response. I'm in PM&R. I will look into some of those more practical options to try to gain some experience.