Looking for research experience in next 6 months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bob Marley

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get some meaningful research experience (possibly a publication) in anything related to medicine in the next 6 months. I need your help to guide my search for research opportunities. I have just started to look into this so I would really appreciate any helpful suggestions you might have. :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you're a little late in the game, but check with unis in your area, they might have an undergrad lab program for the summer.

Unless you already have a field in mind, I would consider waiting until you start school. If you know that you want to do a competitive specialty such as ortho, plastics, derm, ENT, etc, then there will be many opportunities to participate in research that is specific to your profession of interest. Publishing is a very important part of your application to competitive specialties. You will have a fair amount of time to do research in med school, however this will be one of your last free summers and I suggest you enjoy it to the fullest extent possible!

Unless you already have a field in mind, I would consider waiting until you start school. If you know that you want to do a competitive specialty such as ortho, plastics, derm, ENT, etc, then there will be many opportunities to participate in research that is specific to your profession of interest. Publishing is a very important part of your application to competitive specialties. You will have a fair amount of time to do research in med school, however this will be one of your last free summers and I suggest you enjoy it to the fullest extent possible!

To add to this very helpful post, your options will increase exponentially in medical school--once you are student at your respective institution I am sure doors will fly open allowing you to pick and choose from the (assumed) limitless research being conducted by your faculty.

On the topic of publishing papers: it's really tough to do any kind of publishable work in 6 months. The only feasible way that I see of getting a publication in such a short period of time is if you join a lab that's already in the middle of publishing quite a few papers. However, this might be different for clinical research... I have only participated in basic science work so my advice pertains to that.

oh yea: my favorite marley song is three little birds 420