Looking for some advice on my situation - details inside!

WalSlave

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2009
Hi everyone! Here are my stats:
cGPA = 3.20
sGPA = 3.41
Taking the MCAT in a couple months.

I am also an accelerated masters student (which means I'm working on my last year of undergrad/first semester of grad simultaneously) and will have a combined masters in Biology and Chemistry as of Spring '15. All of my research is in medical biology and biochemistry, and I plan on applying to all of the schools that offer DO/PhD programs. I also have experience in a clinic as a pharmacy tech and am in the process of starting my shadowing hours.

Now here is my situation that I need advice on. Like a lot of people on here, my first couple years of college were nothing special (B's and C's) and I ended my sophomore year with a semester full of F's because I made the unwise decision to drop my classes after the drop date and move back home (for reasons discussed in my personal statement). Anyways, since then I have retaken all four F's and aced them. My transcript is definitely the definition of an upward trend. I also did well in my pre-reqs, except for Gen Chem. I received a C in Gen Chem I and a C+ in Gen Chem 2. However, I received A's in all other pre-reqs (organic, biochemistry, biology 1&2, physics 2) except for physics 1, where I received a B. I also have all A's in my other science classes except one.

I know the Gen Chem grades are dragging me down. However, at this point, is it even worth retaking them or do the A's in upper division chemistry courses make up for it? Any advice whatsoever is greatly appreciated. I would love to also hear from people who know anything more about the DO/PhD programs. Thanks!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It seems that with good perfromance in your AMS, you won't need to re-take the Chem courses.

Your numbers as of right now are competitive.

Good luck!

Hi everyone! Here are my stats:
cGPA = 3.20
sGPA = 3.41
Taking the MCAT in a couple months.

I am also an accelerated masters student (which means I'm working on my last year of undergrad/first semester of grad simultaneously) and will have a combined masters in Biology and Chemistry as of Spring '15. All of my research is in medical biology and biochemistry, and I plan on applying to all of the schools that offer DO/PhD programs. I also have experience in a clinic as a pharmacy tech and am in the process of starting my shadowing hours.

Now here is my situation that I need advice on. Like a lot of people on here, my first couple years of college were nothing special (B's and C's) and I ended my sophomore year with a semester full of F's because I made the unwise decision to drop my classes after the drop date and move back home (for reasons discussed in my personal statement). Anyways, since then I have retaken all four F's and aced them. My transcript is definitely the definition of an upward trend. I also did well in my pre-reqs, except for Gen Chem. I received a C in Gen Chem I and a C+ in Gen Chem 2. However, I received A's in all other pre-reqs (organic, biochemistry, biology 1&2, physics 2) except for physics 1, where I received a B. I also have all A's in my other science classes except one.

I know the Gen Chem grades are dragging me down. However, at this point, is it even worth retaking them or do the A's in upper division chemistry courses make up for it? Any advice whatsoever is greatly appreciated. I would love to also hear from people who know anything more about the DO/PhD programs. Thanks!

OP
WalSlave

WalSlave

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2009
Thank you for the reply! Four years ago I would have never dreamed of hearing "your numbers" and "competitive" in the same sentence, so your reply means more to me than you know. I think I'll focus on moving forward rather than retaking 100 level classes.

Reactions: foot2foot