Looking for some advice on prerequesite courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jagreenb

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an applicant for Fall 2003 that is presently taking all my necessary coursework needed for admissions. I see that many of the schools are now requiring you to have advanced coursework in biology and chemistry. For example Tufts will be requiring Biochemistry for all 2003 applicants. My university only offers a 3 credit biochemistry. I was wondering if you feel that this will be sufficient to meet there requirements. In addition what other advanced courses would you guys (and girls) recommend based on personal experiences. Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Basic undergraduate level Biochemistry courses are usually only 3 credits and I believe that is the exact amount of Biochem credits that dental schools require! To answer your question, yes, your school's Biochem course will be suffice! Many dental schools are moving towards the direction of having an undergraduate level Biochemistry course as a prereq for admission if not already implemented! I know Univ. of Minnesota is another example.

Other course recommendations: Histology, Embriology, Anatomy, Molecular Genetics, Microbiology, Physiology, Immunology, Neurology/Neuroscience, and/or Pathology.

These courses are recommendations only and usually you'll have these courses at an undergraduate level (300X or 400X level courses). If a graduate level courses (500X course numbers) are available to you, then that's even better! Good luck! :cool:

Hi,

I would recommend you do to the schools' web pages and find out exactly what courses they require for admission. Most of the schools also list what they would also recommend you to take aside from the requisites. I'm entering class of 2002 and from my experience most of them have the following requisites and recommended courses:

1) eight credits of biology including lab

2) eight credits of organic w/lab

3) eight credits or inorganic chem w/lab

4) eight credits of physics w/lab

5) six credits of english

6) 90 credits total

Recommended:

1) biochem

2) anatomy

3) histology

4) cell biology

5) microbiology

The way I think is that the more prepared I am academically in terms of courses like biochem and anatomy, which we will have in dental school, the "easier" it will be in terms of studying and knowing the material when you get to the dental school. Remember that the first two years of dental school is pretty much alot of basic sciences and lab. Lab takes up alot of time, thus if you already know about the subjects in the lectures then you'll have more time to work on your lab work and do a good job on it. (Not to mention it will make you're life a lot easier!!!). Plus, if you plan to specialize, it will make it a little easier to get better grades and compete for the top positions. In terms of admissions, let say there are too candidates who have the same GPA ,the same DAT scores, and similiar activities, the person that will get the advantage is probably the one that the school feels is better prepared. Many schools look at work load and quality of courses you take in undergrad. I would suggest you take some of these courses...you don't have to take all of them, but one or two at least. However, keep in mind your GPA always and don't put alot of hard courses on your semester. You can jepordize your GPA and then it would just make things worst! I hope this could help. Let me know if you need any more info. :wink: