Looking for some advice on schools to apply to (Stats within)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennyfishy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I am new to this forum (long time lurker, first time poster). I, like many students in this thread will be applying to Med School this upcoming cycle.

I've been doing a bit of research to build my list of schools to apply to (planning on applying to 15, 20 if needed). I'm mostly wondering what you all would suggest for types of schools I should apply to.

I was def going to do all in state (CA schools - figured UCSF, Stanford were dream schools, UCLA/UCSD are reach, etc), and most west coast schools. I'm not really sure where else I would qualify for OOS.

Background info:

Ethnicity: Southeast Asian (2nd generation Vietnamese, first gen college student - mom didn't finish high school, think my dad got training/some kind of AA degree at a CC), I guess with other factors, I would be considered an "URM" depending on how you look at it.
Honors: Community Service Award, nominated for a writing award, PBK honor society, Dean's list, nominated for other stuff (yada yada)

cGPA: 3.78 right now, will jump to 3.80 after this quarter
sGPA: 3.72
nonsGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 28 (My weakness -_-)
I'm a resident of CA graduating from a UC.

It looks pretty weird because I had a bad fall quarter (briefly mentioned in my personal statement) - my GPA dropped from 3.87 to 3.80 after fall quarter (C+, B, A- in 3 science courses -_-).

Clinical volunteer activities:

• Shadowed different departments at different hospitals (another 40 hours)
  • Volunteered in a Pediatrics dept at my school's med center for 6 months (~100 hours)
  • Did an ER rotation as part of my training while I was in EMT school (now EMT certified/soon to be licensed) (12ish hours rotating, the class was ~150 hours of on hands training/lecture)
  • Doing a Spanish/Medicine Immersion program in the summer in Argentina (6 week program, includes classes everyday and shadowing twice a week)

Physician shadowing (include specialties and total hours)
High School - interned with a Pediatrician for a few months (~60 hours?)

Research

• Currently working on an independent research project for my PI with another undergrad, hoping to get our research published during my "gap year". Appx 10 hours a week (1.5 years now), closer to full time in the summer.

Nonclinical volunteer activities

• Peer Educator on campus - Addressing Social Issues/Inequities across different communities (3-5 hours a week, 2.5 years)
  • Helping teach a freshman seminar class on issues related to my peer education position
  • Group Mentor for various conferences that work with college age and middle school/high school students who are underrepresented/underprivileged (3 day, 2 nights - appx 50 hrs each time)
  • President of an API org on campus (3-5 hours a week, officer for past 3 years)
  • Interned for a Cancer Awareness group (100 hours total over 6 months)
  • There's more, but I don't want to bore you all with unnecessary details (I'm a member of a few other clubs)

Employment
  • Student Assistant/Lab Manager for the place I'm doing Research in (12-18 hours a week, last 2 years)
  • Tutored English/Writing students for 6 months (10 hours a week), now I freelance my services to students (1-3 hours a week)

LoR
I have 4 right now (1 science prof, 1 non-science prof, 1 PI, 1 staff/supervisor of an above volunteer position) - all are writing very strong letters, since I'm pretty close with them and have worked/interacted with them for 2+ years. I don't have a 2nd science letter though :/

Should I rule out most of the tier 1 schools (those top 20s...drool)? I know everything people say here isn't definitive, but reassuring info always helps! I can def provide more details if needed :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is 5 points below the avg of the top tiers, so I'd so stick with the middle ones and you'll be fine.

Should I rule out most of the tier 1 schools (those top 20s...drool)? I know everything people say here isn't definitive, but reassuring info always helps! I can def provide more details if needed :D[/QUOTE]

Oh, silly me, I forgot my list of schools -_-

Schools for sure applying to:
USC (they'll prob not even look at my app for the LoR issue, idk)
UCD
UCI
UCR
UCSD
UCLA
UCSF (dreams come true right?)
Stanford

Not sure:
UWash (lol...one can dream)
Brown(?)
U of Hawaii(?)

Schools I should add:
Advise away!

I'm interested in schools with strong primary care/Pediatric programs, especially ones that have opportunities for an MD/MPH or even teaching/working directly with underrepresented communities (Kind of like PRIME, etc.)

Not sure whether or not to add the big Midwest/East Coast schools onto the list, because my MCAT score and GPA aren't "top notch". But how cool would it be to have a chance at Mayo or Johns Hopkins or an Ivy? LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
To me the best things for you to do is to apply to all your star schools so:) other than that I would through in a few top reach schools you are really interested in... if you are willing to interview and if waitlisted send letters of intent you could maybe get in:) your GPA is really good and your ecs are also really good... I would also apply to a handful of mudtier schools in areas of the country you'd be untreated in living but none in particular come to mind... when I was picking schools to apply to I read the msar over and over again making notes and folding pages... its hard.

A few things concern me about your app.

1. You will be abroad this summer and with your app and any it is really important to submit your secondaries in a timely manner... do you have a plan for this?

2. A lot of schools do require or strongly recomment letters from 2 science professors who taught you. I went to a big school too with hundreds of kids in most of my classes and struggled with this... is there anyone else you could ask? One of my best recs come from a Prof who I barely spoke too but who liked me enough and was very very very familiar with Med school admissions.

Good luck! Hopefully you get better advice on out of state schools you should apply to;)

Your MCAT is 5 points below the avg of the top tiers, so I'd so stick with the middle ones and you'll be fine.

Should I rule out most of the tier 1 schools (those top 20s...drool)? I know everything people say here isn't definitive, but reassuring info always helps! I can def provide more details if needed :D

So schools like UCD would fit that "mid tier" right? just to make sure we're on the same page in terms of what the tiers are lol

would UCSD/UCLA would be considered tier I (I feel stupid for asking LOL)?

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Lol! I guess on paper, you never really know how people will feel until they get a chance to meet you (if you even get that chance..sob).

I think my biggest issue is figuring out which parts of non-west coast schools I'd be interested in living in. I know my California bubble has sheltered me into knowing how "diverse" the rest of the states are. lolol

A few things concern me about your app.

1. You will be abroad this summer and with your app and any it is really important to submit your secondaries in a timely manner... do you have a plan for this?

2. A lot of schools do require or strongly recomment letters from 2 science professors who taught you. I went to a big school too with hundreds of kids in most of my classes and struggled with this... is there anyone else you could ask? One of my best recs come from a Prof who I barely spoke too but who liked me enough and was very very very familiar with Med school admissions.

Yes, actually :D. It's something I'm also a little worried about (I shot myself in the foot in regards to finding jobs and stuff too).

1) I will have computer access, and am making copies of EVERYTHING before I leave. My roommate will be around all summer, and she already agreed to help with mailing stuff in (kinda risky, but I've lived with her for 4 years, known her for 7, so I think I can trust her).

2) If I desperately need to, I think I can ask my current professor, but I am more concerned as to whether or not her possibly vague commentary on what she would have to say about me would detract from the 4 other beaming letters. I've had her as a professor for 2 quarters, she liked me enough in my lab class, but I don't know if I was "stellar" in her mind. If that makes sense? My PI is in the department of biomed engineering, but I've never had a class with her. Wish that could count -_-

Oh, silly me, I forgot my list of schools -_-

Schools for sure applying to:
USC (they'll prob not even look at my app for the LoR issue, idk)
UCD
UCI
UCR
UCSD
UCLA
UCSF (dreams come true right?)
Stanford

Not sure:
UWash (lol...one can dream)
Brown(?)
U of Hawaii(?)

Schools I should add:
Advise away!

I'm interested in schools with strong primary care/Pediatric programs, especially ones that have opportunities for an MD/MPH or even teaching/working directly with underrepresented communities (Kind of like PRIME, etc.)

Not sure whether or not to add the big Midwest/East Coast schools onto the list, because my MCAT score and GPA aren't "top notch". But how cool would it be to have a chance at Mayo or Johns Hopkins or an Ivy? LOL

Don't waste your money on WashU.

U Hawaii has a huge preference for state residents.

Focus on applying to private schools w/ MCAT averages in the lower 30s.

I can only see one school on your list where you have a decent chance at an interview (two if you have a validated committment to the inland empire).

You have a good application. Do your research (MSAR) and come back with a dozen schools where you have a good chance for an interview!

You need to add some safety schools because California schools are extremely competitive. I think you have a shot at Davis and Irvine but the others are for sure reaches.

I just wanted to revisit this old thread and thank everyone who posted/responded. I've seen many of you around other threads, and it's so helpful to know there are strangers online willing to give others honest, direct, and "real" advice. I remember how new everything felt around the time I posted this thread compared to how much I've learned just from being part of the application cycle. Although my final list of schools are still "reach heavy" as you have mentioned, I am ready for whatever the outcome is. Keep up the great work!