Looking for some advice/tips, my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

88xaja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
e

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've heard that a high DAT score can overcome a low GPA...but of course you don't want to be overly confident. Truthfully, I think the best option is to apply to a variety of schools. Aim for those "reach" schools like Columbia but also apply to those that are "easier" like you mentioned. Check out this awesome website http://www.predents.com/ to compare your stats to students who were accepted into different schools.
Anyway, great job on the DAT! Would you mind sharing what you did to get such a great score?

great job on your DATs!!! :)
do you have any reasons for your GPA? were you taking a lot of courses? were you involved in extracurriculars? were you working? did you have a hard major?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes that's what I want to know! See, with a low GPA that implies you had a poor understanding of the classes you took but you did amazing on your DAT. I did well on the prereq classes but am still doubting my knowledge and whether or not I will do well on the DAT...so please let us know your secret!

Hey guys so I've searched the forums extensively to find someone with similar stats as me but I have yet to find anything.

GPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.25
DAT (AA/TS/PAT: 27/30/24)

Anyways I'm in a bit of a unique situation and not sure how to approach it, I have a high enough DAT (AA/TS/PAT: 27/30/24) to apply pretty much anywhere but a GPA that is lower than basically all entering classes. I want to apply to UoP, UW, UCSF, Boston, Nova, and Columbia.

I am done with my undergrad and I finished with about a 3.3 GPA and a 3.25 sGPA but it seems AADSAS does their own calculations so I think my "calculated" GPA will drop down just a bit.

I'm not sure what to do. Will my GPA hold me back from admission or can I ride my DAT scores into a decent school? Should I change my list and apply to "easier" schools and possibly newer schools that might have easier admission like a LECOM or Roseman? (even though all dental schools seem difficult to get into)

I'd appreciate any advice and thanks for your time and input!
.............................................................:wow:

I think you have a good chance at Columbia.

Hey thanks for the quick responses everyone!

thanks for the compliments on my score I'll let you know a bit of what I did. I think in the end it comes down to how much time you are willing to put into getting a good score. I knew my GPA was no where near competitive on its own so I pushed myself to do well on the DAT. I had a strong background in genchem and Ochem (which I really enjoyed) but my biology was lacking.

For biology I focused on re-learning everything through Cliffs AP Bio and Online resources and for Gen Chem I reluctantly bought Chads videos a couple weeks before the exam and that saved my butt haha. Organic Chem I already was strong in and I used my old textbook as my main resource.

For practice problems I did Destroyer a couple times and I had access to the Kaplan online material so I went through their subject tests which were helpful. In the end I think it comes down to practice and time. Oh and for PAT I used the Crack PAT software.

I want to get into the best possible school because they tend to have lower tuition rates compared to other schools haha I think I will try and focus on 7 possible "reach" schools and 4 "easier" schools. I can come up with a new list and maybe someone will give me their thoughts, the more input the better right?

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation but with a 3.2 GPA, 3.6 science GPA and 24/25/24 (aka I'm not as good as you). I totally feel you on this:

I knew my GPA was no where near competitive on its own so I pushed myself to do well on the DAT.

That was my experience exactly. Anyway, I think you have a great shot at UoP and Columbia. I can't speak for the other schools but I know these two especially are known for forgiving low GPAs in favor of high DATs. I'm applying to Columbia myself and I honestly feel alright about my chances.

Wow so impressive. With a 30TS, you literally have the top science score in the US. Maybe try for Harvard/Penn as well?

Thanks for the input everyone, do you really think I have a shot at Penn? I just put it on my list, it would be pretty great. I guess it doesn't hurt to try

I have made a list of about 15 schools:

"Reach Schools" - UW, UoP, Columbia, Nova, UCSF, UNLV, Temple, Buffalo, Penn, Pitt

"Easier Schools" - Boston, LECOM, Tufts, ASDOH, Midwestern-AZ, Western-CA

Is 15 schools an average number to apply to?

Hey there,

I saw your post and totally sympathize with you. Let's just say that I was in a similar boat as you (a tad bit higher with the total GPA but pretty low sGPA and really good DAT scores) and I was able to get into the dental schools I wanted to go to. You should be fine-- your DAT score shows that you have a decent grasp of the sciences that dental schools are looking for (that's what the DATs are for, right?). Only two schools asked me about it during the interviews. Try really hard to improve your GPA during your senior year to show that you have an upward trend.

Given that dental school is so competitive nowadays, it's a good idea to apply for +6 schools. Don't limit yourself to what you perceive as "lower-tiered" schools just because you think your grades are holding you back. Apply to a couple of reaches-- who knows what might happen? Columbia seems to love high DAT scores.

Thanks for the input everyone, do you really think I have a shot at Penn? I just put it on my list, it would be pretty great. I guess it doesn't hurt to try

I have made a list of about 15 schools:

"Reach Schools" - UW, UoP, Columbia, Nova, UCSF, UNLV, Temple, Buffalo, Penn, Pitt

"Easier Schools" - Boston, LECOM, Tufts, ASDOH, Midwestern-AZ, Western-CA

Is 15 schools an average number to apply to?

If you don't have a lot of community service, volunteering, or extracurriculars, then there's no point in applying to ASDOH. They don't care too much about high stats.

Okay so I finally submitted my app this was my final list:

- UW (Washington), UCSF, UCLA, UoP, Western, UNLV, ASDOH, Midwestern-AZ, Nova, Boston, Harvard (long shot), Columbia, Buffalo, and Temple

- 3.3 gpa, 27 AA/ 24 PAT/ 30 TS, no research experience and a BA

Any opinions? I think I applied pretty broadly with a good mix of schools I definitely don't want to wait an extra year so hopefully with 14 schools I'll get a couple acceptances and hopefully I can stay on the west coast!

If you want to stay on the west coast, why not add USC?

Okay so I finally submitted my app this was my final list:

- UW (Washington), UCSF, UCLA, UoP, Western, UNLV, ASDOH, Midwestern-AZ, Nova, Boston, Harvard (long shot), Columbia, Buffalo, and Temple

- 3.3 gpa, 27 AA/ 24 PAT/ 30 TS, no research experience and a BA

Any opinions? I think I applied pretty broadly with a good mix of schools I definitely don't want to wait an extra year so hopefully with 14 schools I'll get a couple acceptances and hopefully I can stay on the west coast!
Hey, you're probably busy with your app right now, but if you could do a DAT breakdown for future/current pre-dents, that would be swell.

Edit: Nevermind.

If you want to stay on the west coast, why not add USC?
I decided to pass on USC because of some of the negative things I've heard on here and since they are very expensive which did not make the school very appealing.